Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » The Property Pin Website Open Development Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 1152
Location: Americas
I would like to see more topic segments like splitting the CB section into national, international, stats and reference, and perhaps banking, trade, politics, etc..
Also I think there should be a policy to delete irrelevant posts which could be in a link within each topic, older topics are boring to review when there are so many irrelevant or off-topic posts. A good example is the current redundancy watch topic which was hijacked for half a day last week with irrlelevant crap, the whole history of that topic is importnat IMO so those posts should be deleted.

A segment on THE FUTURE would be cool also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:25 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jun 23, 2006
Posts: 22471
Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
jabaar wrote:
Also I think there should be a policy to delete irrelevant posts which could be in a link within each topic, older topics are boring to review when there are so many irrelevant or off-topic posts. A good example is the current redundancy watch topic which was hijacked for half a day last week with irrlelevant crap, the whole history of that topic is importnat IMO so those posts should be deleted.


Hey man, that's just how the 'pin rolls...

Duplex, do you mean like a members only type thing for agents, valuers or could other posters interact with them!?!? :?:

_________________
People change. Hairstyles change. Interest rates fluctuate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2008
Posts: 2613
Location: Under a baNAMA tree
Not familiar with the scope of phpBB but when you view your posts in Profile would it be possible to link to your own last post rather than just to the thread? I'm constantly trying to find old posts of mine to post follow ups.

_________________
"Everything is connected to everything else" - Lenin
"Housing policy is like law and order. It brings out the idiot in politicians - and journalists." - Simon Jenkins


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:36 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 22, 2006
Posts: 2918
The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
jabaar wrote:
Also I think there should be a policy to delete irrelevant posts which could be in a link within each topic, older topics are boring to review when there are so many irrelevant or off-topic posts. A good example is the current redundancy watch topic which was hijacked for half a day last week with irrlelevant crap, the whole history of that topic is importnat IMO so those posts should be deleted.


Hey man, that's just how the 'pin rolls...

Duplex, do you mean like a members only type thing for agents, valuers or could other posters interact with them!?!? :?:


Members only I'd suggest as it would probably attract more posters. Of course other posters could read the posts and members of the agents etc sub forum could discuss on the other subs. I think it might be a worthwhile exercise to see if it attracts any interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jun 23, 2006
Posts: 22471
Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Ozzy wrote:
Not familiar with the scope of phpBB but when you view your posts in Profile would it be possible to link to your own last post rather than just to the thread? I'm constantly trying to find old posts of mine to post follow ups.


This is offtopic but you should be able to do both... By clicking the thread title does it not take you to your post?!? That's what it does for me! And believe you me, I search alot of other user's posts!

_________________
People change. Hairstyles change. Interest rates fluctuate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:38 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jun 23, 2006
Posts: 22471
Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Duplex wrote:
Members only I'd suggest as it would probably attract more posters. Of course other posters could read the posts and members of the agents etc sub forum could discuss on the other subs. I think it might be a worthwhile exercise to see if it attracts any interest.


Serious problem with validation of bona fides though and it would probably just attract trolling... Perhaps there's a market niche here for a separate site?!?

_________________
People change. Hairstyles change. Interest rates fluctuate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Apr 20, 2008
Posts: 2613
Location: Under a baNAMA tree
The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
Ozzy wrote:
Not familiar with the scope of phpBB but when you view your posts in Profile would it be possible to link to your own last post rather than just to the thread? I'm constantly trying to find old posts of mine to post follow ups.


This is offtopic but you should be able to do both... By clicking the thread title does it not take you to your post?!? That's what it does for me! And believe you me, I search alot of other user's posts!
OK I guess it is off topic, maybe shoulda gone in the development forum.
But ayway, in response:
Logged in.
Click Profile ->
Click Show your posts (below Total Posts figure) ->
Displays list of Threads
Click on thread title goes to page 1 of thread not to my post.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a feckin eejit can just use user search XX

_________________
"Everything is connected to everything else" - Lenin
"Housing policy is like law and order. It brings out the idiot in politicians - and journalists." - Simon Jenkins


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 pm 
Online
Too Big to Fail
User avatar

Joined: May 6, 2008
Posts: 4558
Location: the nearest faraway place
i think the a few overview charts links would be handy for recapping on everything that has been covered on the pin, for example a chart that illustrates the rise and fall of Anglo.
a property-TD tree, showing who's linked with who through business and investment. donnie cassidy would be a good start.
a graph list link with house price fluctuations over the years.
basically visuals as a resource on the pin have great potential, i know there have been lots used in many threads that have been great but a few focused ones like daftwatch and anglo would be good for new viewers and regulars who just want to recap quickly.

_________________
Every single frozen corpse in the Death Zone on Everest was once a highly motivated person.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:33 pm 
Offline
Real Estate Developer

Joined: Nov 19, 2008
Posts: 932
Possibly because I'm new, but I have a hard time knowing what should go in The Central Bank. If the forum allows general political or current affairs topics that are not directly related to property then it should be a bit clearer where to put them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Oct 1, 2008
Posts: 270
I've noticed a lot of threads started asking "What is this place worth?". I started one myself. I think it would be a good idea to have one place where all these could be posted.

_________________
http://www.myspace.com/flingfolk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:27 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Feb 22, 2008
Posts: 2177
Location: The Lawn
I second or third or whatever the suggestion to split up the CB forum.

National, International; trade/output?, equities, banking, etc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 11764
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
One way to raise the tone of the forum would be to have a seven day 'cooling off' period before a new user can post....? Maybe just for sub sections of the Forum, ie Central Bank...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:16 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Feb 18, 2007
Posts: 2680
Location: Dublin
Is there an external arbiter which offers a service of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of a discussion board's set-up?

I'm thinking of a web service called something like like ratethisboard.bla

A Moody's for online communities, if you will.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:30 pm 
Offline
IMF'd

Joined: Sep 13, 2007
Posts: 31653
Location: Tullamore
I think a political economy section to the CB would be useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open Consultation - Forum Rejig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2008
Posts: 11764
Location: Somewhere up in the hills
A 'Life under Martial Law' section could be popular by the end of the year....?

But seriously (actually I was being serious), I think the forum is great but it might just need a few tweaks to the structure and the establishing of sub sections as they are needed (ie Anglogate).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

    Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » The Property Pin Website Open Development Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com