Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 pm 
Private Tenant

Does this mean any future discussion of real names is not allowed?

Does this extend to websites? Does it extend to acronyms?

Will we have to do a Caeser Cipher to keep legal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_cipher

That EE from DDP is a proper fxqw!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Justin Case wrote:
Does this mean any future discussion of real names is not allowed?

It means people are not allowed to sign up using their real names. That's about the height of it..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:06 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

My recollection of events is slightly at odds with the official line. It seemed that there wasn't a huge problem with posters who had a public profile, identifying themselves as such, until a certain industry vested interest, kinda went off the reservation, in terms of his views. Though the rule may have existed all along, I really don't know, that seemed to trigger the creation and/or enforcement of the rule. There were a number of posters who did use their real names. Sure even the bould Marc Coleman appeared at some stage.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
- Cicero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 pm 
Nationalised

23rdbuchan wrote:
Indeed, that is why I posted. I think it should be extended, nobody should be allowed to refer to real names in any capacity. For consistency etc.

Would we find ourselves having to refer to policies implemented by 'a certain bovine Taoiseach with a fondness for the gargle' or press releases issued by 'a female 'economist' working for a large EA with a history of making irresponsible claims about irresponsible claims'?

I presume this is not a serious suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
23rdbuchan wrote:
Indeed, that is why I posted. I think it should be extended, nobody should be allowed to refer to real names in any capacity. For consistency etc.

Would we find ourselves having to refer to policies implemented by 'a certain bovine Taoiseach with a fondness for the gargle' or press releases issued by 'a female 'economist' working for a large EA with a history of making irresponsible claims about irresponsible claims'?

I presume this is not a serious suggestion.

One might also ask, "So people can be referenced on the Property Pin web site, but they are not allowed to go on there and engage or defend themselves or their views? I presume this is not a serious suggestion."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm 
Homeless

Personally, while I appreciate the logic behind the suggestion, I think it is pursuing things to absurdity.

Someone might say that Brendan O'Connor, ahem, is a self serving clown on here, but it is not true to say he has no means of redress. He can rant to his hearts content in the Sindo if he so wishes. If he thinks he is defamed he can go to the courts and demonstrate how he has been defamed in the eyes of his peers, since he is patently not a self serving clown. Ahem again.

If the suggestion is followed through he would be denied the opportunity to engage in direct debate in defence of his position which might seem unfair, not that I'd expect him to register in his own name and attempt to do so. But what's to stop him registering under a nom-de-plume, ahem, and defending the indefensible that way?

A standard jibe often seen on here, is the "is that you Brendan?" when anyone makes any sort of supportive comment towards Brendan Burgess. Is that not good enough? IMHO, it should be for internet debate and banter. Anything serious, in terms of allegations or libel or slander can be dealt with by the courts between the victim and whatever pinster went to far. Moderators can and do delete such comments and I think that is both fair enough and sufficient.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Nationalised

23rdbuchan wrote:
One might also ask, "So people can be referenced on the Property Pin web site, but they are not allowed to go on there and engage or defend themselves or their views? I presume this is not a serious suggestion."

But there's nothing to stop them engaging or defending themselves or their views under a policy of anonymity, is there?

(on the other hand, I think it makes perfect sense for people who can be identified to post under their own names, unless there's a legal issue for the Pin that makes this unworkable)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Barney Gumble wrote:
23rdbuchan wrote:

But there's nothing to stop them engaging or defending themselves or their views under a policy of anonymity, is there?

Only total absurdity.

Also I'm not sure why half the people on this thread are derailing it with discussion of defamation, legal action etc.

I am simply talking about straight up debate and banter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm 
Nationalised

Forum policy eh.

Thread locked. Thanks.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm 
Nationalised

One of the content team suggested I clarify the lock for the benefit of all. So I will.

As a general rule for those not aware discussing forum policy or in general how the forum is run is disallowed. This is the reasoning for the lock, however there is some merit in the thread as it should clarify our position the historical existence of the forum rule. Many of these policies where enacted in the first year ('06 into '07) 2007 of the forums existence with some refinement but not much has changed in that respect.

We try to be accommodating as possible where we can but we think sticking to the topic and issues at hand plus abiding by our relatively simple rule set delivers access to shared wisdom for all and the chance to share is more important than any one users needs this being the main goal. In a major way the anonymity policy helped fostered a decent sense of engagement and commitment to play by the rules for the benefit of greater illumination.

I am aware that this site is a useful daily source of information and I personally would like to see it stay that way. User engagement is the single biggest factor in this and I am for this eternally thankful for the privilege with the understanding of course we also reserve the right to modify any aspect of the forum as required. Which is in no way extraordinary.

All suggestions are welcome and we are always reviewing our policies. I do read my PM's.

Don't forget to use the REPORT button if you see something libelous or counter productive to the general engagement of the website.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2