Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 1864
Just a quick thought on the anonymity policy after Cormac Lucey's post got deleted.

The policy means that we can make assertions about each other on a username basis (e.g. "OpenWindow said X", or "I think Yoganmahew's train of thought on Y is a load of rubbish"). Upon seeing our own username referenced by another poster we can then come and defend or clarify our thoughts/beliefs.

People who's real names are mentioned on the forum have no such right. There are a raft of people in the public eye who have quite a lot said about them on the 'Pin, some positive, some negative, but in all cases due to the anonymity policy they are not allowed to engage with this community.

I think that if the anonymity policy is to remain in place, and be fair, it is probably only right that no references to real people whatsoever are permitted on the 'Pin, given they have no ability to represent themselves.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:34 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jun 5, 2008
Posts: 1997
Location: I like Dalkey
So, if a particular politican, Government Minster, Estate Agent, Economic Consulant, Journalist or Housing commentator express views on Irish property we cannot express our views on their views???

You can't be serious!! XX

_________________
.
Housing should be affordable and plentiful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 1864
Homeboy wrote:
So, if a particular politican, Government Minster, Estate Agent, Economic Consulant, Journalist or Housing commentator express views on Irish property we cannot express our views on their views???

You can't be serious!! XX


I'm deadly serious.

Unless you have good ideas on where a line can be drawn?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Feb 4, 2011
Posts: 1470
Location: A rock drifting aimlessly in the north atlantic
A person such as RonanL should of course be allowed to come on here and express their views.
As should Cormac Lucey, or any other member of the Fourth Estate, once their identity has been verified.

It smacks of hypocrisy that Lucey's post was deleted and RonanL frequently used this forum to air his views and publicise his publications. I enjoy RonanL contributions and the same affordance should be granted to Lucey.

I expect such skulduggery on and in the MSM but not on here, I thought it was different!!!

_________________
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something...."
Last words of Pancho Villa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:57 am 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 375
I can't see the point of the anonymity policy when it comes to public figures. It is surely better allow them to speak as themselves if they wish to - that way they can make a much better contribution to the debate on the pin. If the pin needs to set up some kind verification surely this could be done for the very small number of public figures who wish to contribute.

Where public figures are "advertising" then there is a case for banning them but surely that could be done on a case by case basis by moderators.

I really think that the quality of debate on the pin would be improved by allowing them to debate as themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: May 26, 2008
Posts: 1505
I'd agree that no names should be mentioned unless they are given a right of reply.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 7087
The principal reason for the anonymity policy is legal. How do we know posters would be who they would claim to be?

In relation to the right to response, there is always the option to register and engage. Probably has happened already. Do bear in mind that anonymity does not allow defamatory remarks and you are responsible for what you post. If the commentary/criticism is fair, what's the problem?

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: May 26, 2008
Posts: 1505
Look for a professional email address with their name in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 1864
grumpy wrote:
The principal reason for the anonymity policy is legal. How do we know posters would be who they would claim to be?


Easy to do a verification. Send an email to the person's known official email address and wait for a response to confirm..

Quote:
In relation to the right to response, there is always the option to register and engage. Probably has happened already. Do bear in mind that anonymity does not allow defamatory remarks and you are responsible for what you post. If the commentary/criticism is fair, what's the problem?


It's not even in relation to defamatory things. Just engagement, debate, etc.

"It's ok, you can come on and engage, but you have to go out of your way to pretend you are not you".. not really much point is there?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Aug 2, 2009
Posts: 1513
I am Spartacus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Posts: 5562
Quote:
User name / Anonymity Policy

The use of your real name is prohibited.


It couldn't be stated any more clearly in the forum rules. A very few exceptions were allowed on a case by case basis in the past, not anymore and not for a long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Nov 20, 2008
Posts: 1864
xman wrote:
Quote:
User name / Anonymity Policy

The use of your real name is prohibited.


It couldn't be stated any more clearly in the forum rules. A very few exceptions were allowed on a case by case basis in the past, not anymore and not for a long time.


Indeed, that is why I posted. I think it should be extended, nobody should be allowed to refer to real names in any capacity. For consistency etc.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 am 
Offline
Old Time Landlord

Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Posts: 375
xman wrote:
Quote:
User name / Anonymity Policy

The use of your real name is prohibited.


It couldn't be stated any more clearly in the forum rules. A very few exceptions were allowed on a case by case basis in the past, not anymore and not for a long time.


Just because it is currently in the rules doesn't mean it has to stay in the rules without modification. While in general I don't mind the anonymity policy I think there is a good case to be made for exceptions for public figures - on an ongoing basis - not just historically.

Maybe the anonymity of public figures has been thoroughly discussed before on the pin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 am 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Posts: 1197
Location: The dodgy bit of Dublin 8
23rdbuchan wrote:
Homeboy wrote:
So, if a particular politican, Government Minster, Estate Agent, Economic Consulant, Journalist or Housing commentator express views on Irish property we cannot express our views on their views???

You can't be serious!! XX


I'm deadly serious.

Unless you have good ideas on where a line can be drawn?


I don't agree that Pinsters should not be allowed to express their views on the comments made by public figures - it would make a nonsense of much of the debate on the site.

However, I would prefer more active moderation of some of the personal comments about public figures. I was particularly uncomfortable about much of what passed for 'debate' on the Kevin Cardiff thread. Large numbers of posters simply used the thread to abuse him personally - 'fat, lazy, useless, c***', was the height of much of the 'debate' on the issue of his move to the Court of Auditors. I can't see how that is not defamatory and is allowed to remain on the site. Its perfectly possible to be robust in your comments about someone without resorting to playground abuse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anonymity policy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Mar 29, 2010
Posts: 204
txirimiri wrote:
However, I would prefer more active moderation of some of the personal comments about public figures. I was particularly uncomfortable about much of what passed for 'debate' on the Kevin Cardiff thread. Large numbers of posters simply used the thread to abuse him personally - 'fat, lazy, useless, c***', was the height of much of the 'debate' on the issue of his move to the Court of Auditors. I can't see how that is not defamatory and is allowed to remain on the site. Its perfectly possible to be robust in your comments about someone without resorting to playground abuse.


Couldn't agree more. And one of the people defending the anonymity policy on this thread is one of the more enthusiastic users of personal abuse.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com