Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » The Property Pin Website Open Development Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
Just had a Flash ad on the Pin make Chrome very unhappy. Sadly I couldn't grad the page source before it crashed but did you guys start accepting ads from a new source recently?

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:24 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Feb 9, 2010
Posts: 9019
Mantissa wrote:
Just had a Flash ad on the Pin make Chrome very unhappy. Sadly I couldn't grad the page source before it crashed but did you guys start accepting ads from a new source recently?

I got an ad the other day that started making an odd noise every few seconds. I don't know how Chrome felt, but it certainly made me very unhappy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
It's crashed a Chrome window a few times now... I finally got the bugger, it's emea-bidder.mathtag.com which is placing evil Flash cookies on behalf of mediamath.com. Any chance of not taking ads from them until they sort their sh*t out? Or just burning them to the ground? That works too...

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Posts: 7093
Mantissa wrote:
It's crashed a Chrome window a few times now... I finally got the bugger, it's emea-bidder.mathtag.com which is placing evil Flash cookies on behalf of mediamath.com. Any chance of not taking ads from them until they sort their sh*t out? Or just burning them to the ground? That works too...


Just browse astrology, or standard porn, for a while and the ads will be fine :D I think it's google's choice.

Or put ABP on chrome.

_________________
“Don't ask the barber if you need a haircut—and don’t ask an academic if what he does is relevant.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
grumpy wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
It's crashed a Chrome window a few times now... I finally got the bugger, it's emea-bidder.mathtag.com which is placing evil Flash cookies on behalf of mediamath.com. Any chance of not taking ads from them until they sort their sh*t out? Or just burning them to the ground? That works too...


Just browse astrology, or standard porn, for a while and the ads will be fine :D I think it's google's choice.

Or put ABP on chrome.



I have ABP. I had it disabled for the Pin. Not any more I guess.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:20 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Aug 5, 2012
Posts: 630
I run
- adBlock plus
- Ghostery (but you need to read up on this one - catching some flak lately)
- Https everywhere
- Better Privacy

....all on firefox.

You can also run Privacy Fix on many different browsers which will show you how open you are to tracking and your approx $ value to advertisers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jan 4, 2013
Posts: 17326
Location: To the right of the decimal place
the very man wrote:
I run
- adBlock plus
- Ghostery (but you need to read up on this one - catching some flak lately)
- Https everywhere
- Better Privacy

....all on firefox.

You can also run Privacy Fix on many different browsers which will show you how open you are to tracking and your approx $ value to advertisers.


The problem is that there are certain sites, like the Pin, that I want to support. Hosting and bandwidth are not free, especially for a big forum. So I disable ABP on sites I genuinely like. But if they serve me shitty intrusive browser-crashing ads, and refuse to fix the issue when I report it, I'm going to block them again.

By contrast, another site I unblock on is uncrate.com. They served an ad with an annoying popover one day. I emailed them and they removed the advertiser immediately. That's how it should work.

The more annoying the ads on the Pin are (and crashing Chrome is pretty annoying) the less revenue they will ultimately make, due to people installing ABP and the like. Not responding to reports of intrusive ads is just shortsighted IMHO, but then it's not my forum.

_________________
— Try, fail, understand, win. —


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:25 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Apr 1, 2009
Posts: 5311
Location: Utopia
This is something I saw a couple of times before xmas, and I've just spotted it again today:

1. Desktop machine, had a Firefox window open, on tab on an Irish Times article, another tab on google news. Forgot about the window for a few minutes.
2. Went back to the window and multiple tabs had opened with a spoof Flash/Realplayer type update page warning me "Your video player is out of date. Click here to update your video..."

Is the Irish Times/Google News really loading (potential malware installing) tabs without my permission?
Machine is quite recent and I haven't visited any dodgy sites. Usual Symantec suite of products running for protection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Posts: 2200
ex-Patrick wrote:
This is something I saw a couple of times before xmas, and I've just spotted it again today:

1. Desktop machine, had a Firefox window open, on tab on an Irish Times article, another tab on google news. Forgot about the window for a few minutes.
2. Went back to the window and multiple tabs had opened with a spoof Flash/Realplayer type update page warning me "Your video player is out of date. Click here to update your video..."

Is the Irish Times/Google News really loading (potential malware installing) tabs without my permission?
Machine is quite recent and I haven't visited any dodgy sites. Usual Symantec suite of products running for protection.

I've seen that on an Android phone. Never in Ireland but a few times when I've been travelling in Eastern Europe. It has happened when accessing the Irish Times, The Irish Independent and a couple of US newspapers.

_________________
banana republic, septic isle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dodgy ads
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Jun 26, 2012
Posts: 3024
Location: The Second Æther! Hull Breach Imminent, Eschaton Immanent...
grumpy wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
It's crashed a Chrome window a few times now... I finally got the bugger, it's emea-bidder.mathtag.com which is placing evil Flash cookies on behalf of mediamath.com. Any chance of not taking ads from them until they sort their sh*t out? Or just burning them to the ground? That works too...


Just browse astrology, or standard porn, for a while and the ads will be fine :D I think it's google's choice.

Or put ABP on chrome.

I get endless ads for firewood since the stoves thread put me onto that topic for a week or so. Funny to go to lots of different sites, and always see the same ads (for the firewood man)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

    Board index » The Property Pin Website - Open Development » The Property Pin Website Open Development Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com