Post subject: WIW - 1 Castlewood Park, Rathmines, Dublin 6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:43 pm 
Single Home Owner

Detached (sort of) house on Rathmines Park with no parking asking €1.2m from Savills.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... -6/3853494

Quirky house that is in good nick. It has a decent garden for the area, long but narrow and a bit overlooked. It's a receivership sale so the radiators have been stolen.

I'm scratching my head on the price though as there are two bigger and better houses with off-street parking on Castlewood Ave for less (#'s 5 and 10) - one of which is with the same agent. Agent says premium for #1 is because the (overlooked) garden has a better aspect and because it is detached... but it's actually attached to two different houses, it just wasn't originally.

Anyone else seen this or have a view?

Post subject: Re: WIW - 1 Castlewood Park, Rathmines, Dublin 6
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 am 
Property Magnate

Interesting and quite attractive house but seems v overpriced.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:09 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Nice location and structure but looks like a total ice-box.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 pm 
Nationalised

kennypowers wrote:
Detached (sort of) house on Rathmines Park with no parking asking €1.2m from Savills.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... -6/3853494

Quirky house that is in good nick. It has a decent garden for the area, long but narrow and a bit overlooked. It's a receivership sale so the radiators have been stolen.

I'm scratching my head on the price though as there are two bigger and better houses with off-street parking on Castlewood Ave for less (#'s 5 and 10) - one of which is with the same agent. Agent says premium for #1 is because the (overlooked) garden has a better aspect and because it is detached... but it's actually attached to two different houses, it just wasn't originally.

Anyone else seen this or have a view?

Are you an interested buyer ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 pm 
Single Home Owner

mr_anderson wrote:
Are you an interested buyer ?

Potentially. We're considering the area along with a couple others.

It's a genuine question and not trying to talk the property down, just trying to figure out if the price is likely to drop or not. If the price stays at 1.2 (and other buyers are putting a higher value on the unique features than I do) that's ok with me and I'd just prefer to bid on one of cheaper Castlewood Avenue properties. But if Savills are likely to be dropping the price in a month because the price was too ambitious, then that might change my calculation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm 
Single Home Owner

The house is listed as protected by Dublin City Council - Ref. 1303. It would be good to put some value in the period features as you'll likely be stuck with them for life!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm 
Homeless

Nice house. It seems to have been subjected to some work recently - the kitchen ceiling, for example, seems brand new. My instinct on it is that it will drop to in or about the 1m mark - the listed status, the amount of work necessary to make it comfortable, and the general quirkiness of it, all being factors in that. The proximity of the reception room windows to the road is odd; the road is not the broadest and can be used as a rat run at times; and there are also a few ramshackle old structures close to it on either side.

On the other hand, that same quirkiness could attract competition. Some of the period features are very nice. The garden, the floor area, and the detatched status are obviously also all positives.

Side note: I hate those ads, like this one, that tack on a series of photos of stuff in the locality on to the photos of the house. Somebody looking to spend 1.2m on a house in a particular area almost certainly knows fairly well what's in the area and, if they don't, they're capable of educating themselves to the same extent with a google image search.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 pm 
Homeless

impr0v wrote:
My instinct on it is that it will drop to in or about the 1m mark

Down to 995k as of today! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm 
Single Home Owner

Maybe the goal of EAs is to set an unrealistic price and get a thread straight to the top on TPP. Then drop it to it's correct price and reap the rewards...