Post subject: 8 Tivoli Terrace North, Dun Laoghaire - then and now
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 am 
Nationalised

2001 - expected to fetch €546k (£430k) when auctioned
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro ... index.html
(€546k in 2001 is the same as c. €670k in today's money, going by the Consumer Price Index)

Now €750k
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=5 ... rch=1&ea=1
€474/sq foot

"It is irresponsible to suggest that the ‘negative equity’ scenario that occurred in the late 1980’s in the UK could occur in Ireland" - Marie Hunt, Director of Research, CB Richard Ellis - Press Release 17/Apr/2007

Post subject: Re: 8 Tivoli Terrace North, Dun Laoghaire - then and now
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am 
Single Home Owner

nowhere near 2001 prices yet - despite the hype.

I'd guess they're looking at 600K now to see it - unless they get a silly buyer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

When my parents sold a house at auction in 1999, the guide price was 10% less than the reserve on the house.
I'm pretty sure that was standard practice until the boom ended.

£430K was the guide price - http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 ... 746928.asp
Meaning that there was probably a reserve of £475K on the house.

Actually here's the result:
Quote:
In Dun Laoghaire, Gunne Residential handled the sale of 8 Tivoli Terrace North, a three-bedroom property, which made £500,000 at auction.

(E635,000)

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/200 ... 064928.asp

E635K is E819K with inflation to end of 2009 according to - http://www.anthonykelly.com/inflation.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/3674251

For sale now Asking €775,000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 pm 

Rew wrote:
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-tivoli-terrace-north-dun-laoghaire-co-dublin/3674251

One of these went a few doors up June 15 or so - needing some refurb and some extension. I happened across the (in retrospect unsuspecting) owner en route to something else I was interested in and he was pulling his hair out with the Protected Structure hurdles encountered (on a not too ambitious plan). Dun Laoghaire are Conservationist Nazi's compared to others, I gather. Look up the planning permission and read the submissions being made. Not for the faint hearted if works planned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:46 pm 

Although a great location and attractive period property, I fear parking might be an issue on this road. All terraced houses with no off-street parking and only on-street parking on one side of the road, even that side has sections of double yellow lines on it. Might be worth investigating if interested in the property.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:21 pm 

bml wrote:
Although a great location and attractive period property, I fear parking might be an issue on this road. All terraced houses with no off-street parking and only on-street parking on one side of the road, even that side has sections of double yellow lines on it. Might be worth investigating if interested in the property.

I've been down a few times and have always gotten parking close to where I want. Think there's a back lane anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:54 am 
Homeless

I have seen it and the front wall in really leaning forward a lot. It is now sale agreed. I wonder what the structural engineer will say. There is a french drain at the bottom of the wall and it on no planning. With the converted attic I wonder what'up with this house.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:22 am 

Phy wrote:
I have seen it and the front wall in really leaning forward a lot. It is now sale agreed. I wonder what the structural engineer will say. There is a french drain at the bottom of the wall and it on no planning. With the converted attic I wonder what'up with this house.
What do you think?

French drain with a wall leaning over it? Has some dolt simply dug the crutches away from whatever foundations there are?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:53 pm 
Homeless

Well, York, we had a structural survey done for the house and it is fragile. It needs consolidation. Apparently the attic was not converted well and with time the house walls became vulnerable.
The front wall may lean because of this structural problem.

Sad because it is a lovely house.

And about the drain, there is no planning so it is hard to say anything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:54 pm 

Phy wrote:
It needs consolidation

That's an interesting way to phrase it. .

Quote:
Sad because it is a lovely house.

I wouldn't run away just yet. Consolidation is simply a way of saying X euro. Subtract X euro (+ hassle cost) from what you would be prepared to spend on a property not needing consolidation and you're in the same boat.

This Property Pin discussion comes up as the second listing on a Google search for the property so it's not as if your competition won't be aware of the same issues as you're now aware of. The question then is who has the least faint heart.

Problematic properties represent an opportunity - simply because the problems will dissuade most. Which drives the price down.

Quote:
And about the drain, there is no planning so it is hard to say anything.

The house, iirc is listed. I'd imagine a chat with the conservation planner about the situation would reveal whether this French drain an impediment or not. Indeed, the listed status is a not-insignificant impediment full stop. Read the planning docs for the property I referred to earlier. Or ring the owner of same to get a sense of what you'd be getting into.

Consolidation from a purely structural integrity perspective and consolidation with a DLR conservation arch looking over your shoulder are two entirely different things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:26 pm 
Homeless

Well, rather than "consolidation" I should have written "stabilisation" plus "monitoring regime".

You are right, this site is well referenced with Google and I hope the next person to be sale agreed is aware of all that may not be seen by a surveyor.
Also we are surprised the vendors have no responsibility of what they sell and no duty to disclose when an issue is known. We want to help other potential buyers.

We have had two structural engineers, two architects and a builder seeing it and mentioning all the work to be done there would be a spiral of costs. We had a good budget but it has an end.

We were "sale agreed" and ready to sigh, we had projects for the house also needs some work for it is really badly insulated not to forget the attic is not safe in terms of Health and Safety rules and needs to be fixed I.e. Metal Beams and columns added... Just to stabilise not to repare really. The tiles may be asbestos, costs adding to costs...

The owner would not want to share the costs of the work of stabilisation of the attic and front wall, so we pulled out. Although we really liked this house and we were ready to give it back a little of its lost soul.

C'est la vie !

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:35 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Rew wrote:
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-tivoli-terrace-north-dun-laoghaire-co-dublin/3674251

Back on at 795.

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/68912

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 am 
Single Home Owner

york wrote:
French drain with a wall leaning over it? Has some dolt simply dug the crutches away from whatever foundations there are?

Pardon my cough, but is a French drain beside the front wall not the recommended approach for older houses. This would lower the water table around the foundations and prevent rising damp.

The leaning wall does not sound good though could be related to deterioration of the wall ties between front wall and return walls or possibly roof collars.