Post subject: WIW 22 Killiney Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm 
Neo Landlord

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... in/1477362

Reduced today to €720K from €790. Started at €815K last June http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro ... 88659.html

I really like it but think it has a bit to go yet. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: WIW 22 Killiney Road
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm 
Property Magnate

Great area - beautiful looking house. But there's something about it that doesn't seem like a family home - maybe just because its so picture perfect and dinky looking. Like bringing kids into it would just ruin the look!!!

I would value it at 550 - 600k max but the seller probably looking for late 600s.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 pm 
First Time Buyer

Shame about the location. It's no Knocklyon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Good looking 3 bed in a reasonable area.

Should make close to asking price.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Alec Eiffel wrote:

Yeah, and the nearest scout den is almost half a mile away :D

More problematically, the nine rooms listed only add up to 1455 sq.ft. / 135 sq.m.

Even if they are not pulling a fast one, the asking is €400/sq.ft. If they are it's closer to €500.

I would be in the market for something like this at €300/sq.ft., i.e. €540k if the sq. footage is right. I don't think I am dreaming at that price. Plenty of houses in Killiney including several a stone's throw from this one have been asking less than this. I believe €250/sq.ft. will eventually be the most a Killiney house can expect to command, a couple of years from now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Lovely house and garden, looks finished and decorated to a good standard. Would see this attracting €300-330 per square foot, or €540-590k if the floor area given is correct (not that I'd pay it myself but I think others might). Might even hop over the fence into the €600k region but I'm doubtful.

So it would take about a 20-25% drop from the current asking price to get into the zone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am 
Holiday Home Owner

Lovely house suitable for retired couple or couple with no kids as there is basically 1 main room for living, eating and relaxing.
Even couples need to get away from each other, maybe a dividing wall or french door needs to be reinstalled.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am 

grace5715 wrote:
Lovely house suitable for retired couple or couple with no kids as there is basically 1 main room for living, eating and relaxing.
Even couples need to get away from each other, maybe a dividing wall or french door needs to be reinstalled.

A fair point in general. However, in this particular house there at least seems to be some attempt to half-partition the living room area and sun room from the kitchen and dining area. And if you really must fiddle away without the prying eyes of your other half on you, there's always the studio.

But I do think it's a good point in general. I've often wondered about this trend of creating large open plan living spaces. They may look great in magazines, but are they the best way to live? Granted, in many houses in Dublin, the original proportions of the rooms can be on the small side. But knocking them all into one doesn't strike me as an ideal solution. Having one big open-plan area is not so good if the house is too small to permit at least another couple of reception rooms.

Those who enthuse about the open plan room often make the point I recently read in some interior waffle piece in the IT: "so Alec and me can be together with Finbarr and Joshua and Sadhbh but all doing our own thing". It's often described as "suiting modern ways of living" but I suspect that just means it suits people who always eat dinner in front of the TV. Come to think of it, I've even viewed houses that had a TV in the downstairs bathroom, so maybe the next logical step is to knock down another wall and have a kitchen-living-dining-toilet space. So you can still be with Ross or Caolan or Eva-Tara when they are doing their thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am 
Neo Landlord

Surely sliding doors/partition doors are a good solution here? I rented a house once with two large doors between the sitting room and kitchen. Most of the time we had them open so it was light and airy but if one wanted to study and the others watch tv, it was easy enough to just shut the doors. That should be easy to put in in this this house, but I agree that large wide open-plan with no chance of doors is impractical for families. It means most apartments are totally ruled out for us when renting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 am 

Also agree with it being a little too open plan, thought something easily rectified.
Having the master on the first floor and the two (potentially) children's bedrooms downstairs would rule it out for me.

Love the rest of the house and the area though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

sharper1971 wrote:
Lovely house and garden, looks finished and decorated to a good standard. Would see this attracting €300-330 per square foot, or €540-590k if the floor area given is correct (not that I'd pay it myself but I think others might). Might even hop over the fence into the €600k region but I'm doubtful.

So it would take about a 20-25% drop from the current asking price to get into the zone.

I'd broadly agree with that - 540k max. Bonkers at the current asking although, it should be said, not out of line with recentish askings on Avondale Road for fairly unattractive 1970s bungalows... personally I would not look at any of them at those sort of askings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm 
Neo Landlord

Thanks for all the opinions. Since I'm not looking for a family house but would like decent living space the layout is not a downside for me. Despite the lovely decor I do think its a bit overpriced. There's an open viewing on Saturday - might go along.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:27 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Alec Eiffel wrote:

What's wrong with you? We were just saying that Knocklyon is not Firhouse. Do you just like to cause trouble?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
Property Magnate

puesyo wrote:
Alec Eiffel wrote:

What's wrong with you? We were just saying that Knocklyon is not Firhouse. Do you just like to cause trouble?

Well I, for one, found Alec's comment very amusing..........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm 

alex_a wrote:
Well I, for one, found Alec's comment very amusing..........

+1

Personally neither for nor against either Killiney or Knocklyon, but in light of the, err, "debate" (a euphemisim if ever there was one) on the merits of each elsewhere in these forums, I appreciated that gently humorous remark. Never mind the widening of the Firhouse Road - is there a Knocklyon SOH Bypass?