Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Photos EAs put up..
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
Nationalised

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
PyriteNation wrote:

It doesn't seem to have a bathroom.

Well not an indoor one. Check out picture 8.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:45 pm 
Single Home Owner

Four photos of the house and fourteen photos of rainbows and sunsets.
https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... in/4004714

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:50 pm 
Too Big to Fail

kennypowers wrote:

They appear to be more interested in selling the view than the house.

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

dolanbaker wrote:
kennypowers wrote:

They appear to be more interested in selling the view than the house.

In fairness, it's probably the main selling point; the ad even admits that the house needs updating, and EAs don't usually say that lightly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am 
Nationalised

https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sa ... y-1460575/
something hilarious about the tackiness mixed with pretensions

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:26 am 
Single Home Owner

slasher wrote:
https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/tralee/ashfield-house-alderwood-road-tralee-kerry-1460575/

There are many things to 'not like' about this house. It is much better than the typical McMansion that appears around the countryside. It's surrounded by trees instead of vast lawns and the elevation is well composed from the front. Money definitely spend on some good items such as the stairs and the rooms seem generously proportioned instead of being totally massive. I get the feeling that somebody lost their shirt on this build.

My main concern would be the ground conditions in the area.
The few photos from outside look a bit 'soggy' and the fact that the driveway isn't totally finished as well - where are the kerbs?

It does look like it is in the middle of nowhere but this wouldn't be the first grand Irish house to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:14 pm 
Property Magnate

dublife wrote:
slasher wrote:
https://www.daft.ie/kerry/houses-for-sale/tralee/ashfield-house-alderwood-road-tralee-kerry-1460575/

There are many things to 'not like' about this house. It is much better than the typical McMansion that appears around the countryside. It's surrounded by trees instead of vast lawns and the elevation is well composed from the front. Money definitely spend on some good items such as the stairs and the rooms seem generously proportioned instead of being totally massive. I get the feeling that somebody lost their shirt on this build.

The few photos from outside look a bit 'soggy' and the fact that the driveway isn't totally finished as well - where are the kerbs?

It does look like it is in the middle of nowhere but this wouldn't be the first grand Irish house to do this.

have to agree, the grounds need work, but there are a lot of features inside that would lead one to believe that the build cost was well in excess of the asking price, well in excess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:39 pm 
Nationalised

cyrusir wrote:
dublife wrote:
slasher wrote:

have to agree, the grounds need work, but there are a lot of features inside that would lead one to believe that the build cost was well in excess of the asking price, well in excess

for sure - some nice features in fairness;

I think the proportions are wrong though; and the weird wall around it is just strange bit of a lawn and proper gravel would present the house much better

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:08 pm 
Speculator

dublife wrote:
slasher wrote:

Looking at those trees those photos were taken in the middle of winter so the site/gardens are likely to have dried up a lot since then and greened up around the house if any grass seed was planted or any other planting carried out since that shot. The blurb suggests that the house is close to Tralee, which is a big enough town, so not quite in the middle of nowhere and could be good value for a local who can afford it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:56 pm 
Single Home Owner

Is the message here about drowning your sorrows for having dropped 975k on this house?

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochur ... in/4009136

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I suppose the fact that there are people with million euro budgets prepared to drop them on generic mass-produced housing estate dross advertised with generic mass-produced gin lowers the prices of more interesting houses for better people.

On a vaguely related subject, I really don't get the Hendricks thing. Giving a shit about which flavour of gin goes in your drink is the height of wankerdom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 pm 
Property Magnate

Eschatologist wrote:
I suppose the fact that there are people with million euro budgets prepared to drop them on generic mass-produced housing estate dross advertised with generic mass-produced gin lowers the prices of more interesting houses for better people.

thats a bit superior isnt it? also a million quid in that location doesnt buy too many interesting houses, you might get an e1 rated semi d on carysfort avenue for 800k but you will need another 200 to update it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:44 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

cyrusir wrote:
thats a bit superior isnt it?

Yes, but I'm not being very serious.

cyrusir wrote:
also a million quid in that location doesnt buy too many interesting houses, you might get an e1 rated semi d on carysfort avenue for 800k but you will need another 200 to update it

Mass produced housing is OK. It's more efficient to repeat the same design when you're trying to achieve certain efficiencies of scale. For instance, Victorian terraces of 2-up, 2-down built for working class families.

What really pisses me off (aesthetically) is the same approach being applied to detached housing priced at the top end of the market - in terms of volume, 975k must be in the top 5% of housing in the country. It's a lazy wasted opportunity. That money could produce some really interesting architecture, but instead we get this shit.

The worst example I can think of is Thornamby development on Howth head. 1.4m for a bunch of little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm 
Property Magnate

Eschatologist wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
thats a bit superior isnt it?

Yes, but I'm not being very serious.

cyrusir wrote:
also a million quid in that location doesnt buy too many interesting houses, you might get an e1 rated semi d on carysfort avenue for 800k but you will need another 200 to update it

Mass produced housing is OK. It's more efficient to repeat the same design when you're trying to achieve certain efficiencies of scale. For instance, Victorian terraces of 2-up, 2-down built for working class families.

What really pisses me off (aesthetically) is the same approach being applied to detached housing priced at the top end of the market - in terms of volume, 975k must be in the top 5% of housing in the country. It's a lazy wasted opportunity. That money could produce some really interesting architecture, but instead we get this shit.

The worst example I can think of is Thornamby development on Howth head. 1.4m for a bunch of little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky.

dont get me wrong, ive viewed those houses in blackrock, i didnt care for them too much, and bad as the front is the rear is much worse. but 975k in blackrock isnt a whole lot unfortunately :?

are there any new developments that you do like out of interest?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

cyrusir wrote:
are there any new developments that you do like out of interest?

Not really, since all of them have more or less identical houses - the site is formed around the demands of the houses, which is all wrong. Good architecture is about a marriage of structures, terrain, public and private spaces, not a bunch of boxes on a road with car parking.

This is OK I guess, there's a fair bit going on:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... -6/3258971

...although it looks a but "pre-extended". The price and location is irrelevant to me. There was a nice development I saw in Waterford in the early 2000s where they divided the site up into individual lots and had different houses built on them. That was great.

What would be interesting would be to put a bunch of fairly simple modernist detached boxes on a site, deliberately underdeveloped and let each one be individually extended. Some people might add garages, some extensions to the main structure, others interesting garden spaces. It would be interesting to live there and see it develop to reflect people's needs and wants.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?