Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin
€2,950,000 - 4 Bed Semi-Detached House 430 m² / 4628 ft² For Sale
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hillside-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/3242966
Image

Another Killiney house added to the +2m bracket (now 7 on offer formally and counting) !

Irish Times write up - The big picture from Killiney Hill for 2.95m
http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/the-big-picture-from-killiney-hill-1.2259814

Biggest drawback is that it is a semi-d, which is a real downside.
Getting a semi-d is not what +2.5m buyers of Killiney mansions expect.
Could therefore be affected by the same problem as nearby Abbeylands (also a semi-d).

Not really a period house (like Dorset Lodge, Galleen, Percy Lodge etc.), nor is it a "wow" modern house (like Paddock Wood).

Site is a bit awkward with restricted views (thin and long).
The photos with the views imply the photographer must have been standing on a ladder at the back of the site (highest point).
You can see that he is well above the two goal posts below him ?
The final picture (also taken at the back of the site), is at ground level and cannot see over the trees to the sea.

See actual site map from DLR planning site:
Image


Last edited by observer35 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Dec 3, 2008
Posts: 553
observer35 wrote:
Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin
€2,950,000 - 4 Bed Semi-Detached House 430 m² / 4628 ft² For Sale
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hillside-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/3242966

Another Killiney house added to the +2m bracket (now 7 on offer formally and counting) !

Biggest drawback is that it is a semi-d, which is a real downside.
Getting a semi-d is not what +2.5m buyers of Killiney mansions expect.
Could therefore be affected by the same problem as nearby Abbeylands (also a semi-d).

Not really a period house (like Dorset Lodge, Galleen, Percy Lodge etc.), nor is it a wow modern house (like Paddock Wood).

Site is a bit awkward with restricted views (thin and long).
The photos with views imply the photographer must have been standing on a ladder at the back of the site (highest point).
You can see that he is well above the two goal posts below him ?
The final picture (also taken at the back of the site), is at ground level and cannot see over the trees to the sea.

See actual site map from DLR planning site:
[url][/url]


Nice pad all the same for a semi-d, more property porn Mr O!

There seem to be sea views from the upstairs windows at least that would probably be a little better if one or 2 trees got pruned.

One thing in that general area that is curious to me is the several acres of rock, bushes and gorse that is uphill from Killiney golf course. You can walk through this land from the little roads opposite Killiney Hill Park and it is an area of several acres that seems to be left to mother nature. Do you happen to know why that big piece of land was never built on or why the golf course did not take over some of that land to extend its small footprint? Only some of the wildnerness area I am referring to is rocky.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
Thanks Caledonia

I have no idea regarding that piece of land? I think it is council owned however as it has been the place for various parties / bush drinking etc. Would be surprised if the Golf Course tolerated that?

I have also been surprised at how cheaply c 1 acre sites on the Glenalua Road have traded which back on to this land. The views up there are really very good. You are not down on the sea, but a lot of lower down houses that are closer to the sea and face East are really dark in the evening (hill blocks all their west light, and for some even their south light is restricted). The houses up here (I have a friend living there for years) are really lovely in the evening (assuming there is sun of course). Having seen various houses along the Glenalua Road however I am always surprised by how very rocky their gardens are. I would suspect that below the surface, it is hard compact rock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:31 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 8, 2012
Posts: 1204
caledonia wrote:
observer35 wrote:
Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin
€2,950,000 - 4 Bed Semi-Detached House 430 m² / 4628 ft² For Sale
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hillside-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/3242966

Another Killiney house added to the +2m bracket (now 7 on offer formally and counting) !

Biggest drawback is that it is a semi-d, which is a real downside.
Getting a semi-d is not what +2.5m buyers of Killiney mansions expect.
Could therefore be affected by the same problem as nearby Abbeylands (also a semi-d).

Not really a period house (like Dorset Lodge, Galleen, Percy Lodge etc.), nor is it a wow modern house (like Paddock Wood).

Site is a bit awkward with restricted views (thin and long).
The photos with views imply the photographer must have been standing on a ladder at the back of the site (highest point).
You can see that he is well above the two goal posts below him ?
The final picture (also taken at the back of the site), is at ground level and cannot see over the trees to the sea.

See actual site map from DLR planning site:
[url][/url]


Nice pad all the same for a semi-d, more property porn Mr O!

There seem to be sea views from the upstairs windows at least that would probably be a little better if one or 2 trees got pruned.

One thing in that general area that is curious to me is the several acres of rock, bushes and gorse that is uphill from Killiney golf course. You can walk through this land from the little roads opposite Killiney Hill Park and it is an area of several acres that seems to be left to mother nature. Do you happen to know why that big piece of land was never built on or why the golf course did not take over some of that land to extend its small footprint? Only some of the wildnerness area I am referring to is rocky.


It's a public park called Rocheshill officially but locals call it Mullins hill. Right next to killiney hill but it's untouched in comparison, no paths etc. As a teenager it was the choice place for the local kids to "knacker drink", remember too as a kid, a few donkeys living there, tho think there gone now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:56 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Dec 3, 2008
Posts: 553
observer35 wrote:
Thanks Caledonia

I have no idea regarding that piece of land? I think it is council owned however as it has been the place for various parties / bush drinking etc. Would be surprised if the Golf Course tolerated that?

I have also been surprised at how cheaply c 1 acre sites on the Glenalua Road have traded which back on to this land. The views up there are really very good. You are not down on the sea, but a lot of lower down houses that are closer to the sea and face East are really dark in the evening (hill blocks all their west light, and for some even their south light is restricted). The houses up here (I have a friend living there for years) are really lovely in the evening (assuming there is sun of course). Having seen various houses along the Glenalua Road however I am always surprised by how very rocky their gardens are. I would suspect that below the surface, it is hard compact rock.


Yes, there is a lot more sun on that side of Killiney hill but no sea views. I walked on some rough paths around that wilderness area one evening last year as an alternative to walking around Killiney Hill Park. You can walk down a path that leads eventually by the golf clubhouse. On the way back out to Killiney Hill Road I remember passing by 1 or 2 very cool-looking and very large modern architect-designed houses on large sites near the end of St Georges Avenue (I think that's the road). On the "wilderness" end of St Georges Avenue and close enough to Glenalua Road. Very interesting looking houses particularly one which seemed to be built up against the rock if I recall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:02 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Dec 3, 2008
Posts: 553
bml wrote:
caledonia wrote:

Nice pad all the same for a semi-d, more property porn Mr O!

There seem to be sea views from the upstairs windows at least that would probably be a little better if one or 2 trees got pruned.

One thing in that general area that is curious to me is the several acres of rock, bushes and gorse that is uphill from Killiney golf course. You can walk through this land from the little roads opposite Killiney Hill Park and it is an area of several acres that seems to be left to mother nature. Do you happen to know why that big piece of land was never built on or why the golf course did not take over some of that land to extend its small footprint? Only some of the wildnerness area I am referring to is rocky.


It's a public park called Rocheshill officially but locals call it Mullins hill. Right next to killiney hill but it's untouched in comparison, no paths etc. As a teenager it was the choice place for the local kids to "knacker drink", remember too as a kid, a few donkeys living there, tho think there gone now.


Thanks, the council, if they own it and if it's supposed to be a public park, don't seem to have done anything to manage or tidy up that bit of land, which amounts to several acres. Although the locals seem to use the rough paths there to walk their dogs. Strange that the golf club haven't tried to buy, or indeed bought, the non-rocky part to extend their course. Or maybe they have tried and the council wouldn't sell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:27 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 8, 2012
Posts: 1204
caledonia wrote:
bml wrote:
caledonia wrote:

Nice pad all the same for a semi-d, more property porn Mr O!

There seem to be sea views from the upstairs windows at least that would probably be a little better if one or 2 trees got pruned.

One thing in that general area that is curious to me is the several acres of rock, bushes and gorse that is uphill from Killiney golf course. You can walk through this land from the little roads opposite Killiney Hill Park and it is an area of several acres that seems to be left to mother nature. Do you happen to know why that big piece of land was never built on or why the golf course did not take over some of that land to extend its small footprint? Only some of the wildnerness area I am referring to is rocky.


It's a public park called Rocheshill officially but locals call it Mullins hill. Right next to killiney hill but it's untouched in comparison, no paths etc. As a teenager it was the choice place for the local kids to "knacker drink", remember too as a kid, a few donkeys living there, tho think there gone now.


Thanks, the council, if they own it and if it's supposed to be a public park, don't seem to have done anything to manage or tidy up that bit of land, which amounts to several acres. Although the locals seem to use the rough paths there to walk their dogs. Strange that the golf club haven't tried to buy, or indeed bought, the non-rocky part to extend their course. Or maybe they have tried and the council wouldn't sell?


Yes, the council do nothing to the park. I think its very hard to get a public park rezoned, and I could see major objections by locals if Dun laoghaire council tried to.

To the annoyance of Killiney golf club there is a public right of way from the park through the middle of the golf club to Balinclea Road. There was rumors in the peak that Killiney golf club would be developed into a low density housing estate of large houses, but then the bust came and the plans got shelved, so doubt the golf club have any plans of actually expanding. Only read yesterday that Greystones Golf club is planning to be redeveloped so maybe plans for Killiney might reappear soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:55 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Feb 21, 2012
Posts: 2195
Location: South Dublin
Hillside has been rented to multiple parties in recent years.

_________________
Dublin's Great Estates Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Mar 8, 2012
Posts: 1204
This house does have an interesting story. It is semi-ded onto a house that looks a lot different. If you can imagine two large period houses semi-ded to each other on a few acres of land yet look very different, its quite unusual. This was because in the 19th century the land was given to two daughters to built their homes, but the two daughters had quite contrasting tastes of architecture but wanted to live beside each other, so the end result was this unusual looking pair of semi-d houses. The other house looks more Tudor style than Hillside.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:01 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
bml wrote:
This house does have an interesting story. It is semi-ded onto a house that looks a lot different. If you can imagine two large period houses semi-ded to each other on a few acres of land yet look very different, its quite unusual. This was because in the 19th century the land was given to two daughters to built their homes, but the two daughters had quite contrasting tastes of architecture but wanted to live beside each other, so the end result was this unusual looking pair of semi-d houses. The other house looks more Tudor style than Hillside.


Thanks bml

Was trying to find a photo that captured the two houses together, which I think will be a bit of a surprise to viewers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:51 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
Price drop to 2.75m


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin
€2,495,000 - 4 Bed Semi-Detached House 516 m² / 5554 ft² For Sale (1 acre)
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hillside-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/3582091

Back on but this time but with Savills, and with a price reduction to 2.495m.

This is where Hillside should have been originally priced (and I think might have sold by now, and maybe even for more). Yes, it is an acre with sea-views (from back garden), and the house is in very good condition (and has a coach house), however the semi-D set up is an issue at the 3.0m mark, and particularly given how different the two houses are (have a look at Hillside on the Apple maps 3D satellite function), and that they share an open front driveway / lawn (not a feature you expect with a 3.0m house even in D4+D6, and certainly not out here). Savills have referred to this however with a lot of spin. (it is a real pity that the two semi-Ds are both so different as I think it would change things a lot price wise, if they were both the same).

However, at this pricing, I think they will have more luck. There is a lot of house and land here just off Killiney Hill Road. There are sea-views from the back garden. The semi-D of Abbeylands sold for just under 2.5m, and while it had less land (0.6 acres) than Hillside, it had better sea views (from the ground floor too, the holy grail), plus was a more coherent semi-D set up (all the terrace was the same). The extra land of Hillside and its coach house etc., should go some way to compensate vs. Abbeylands.
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=61288&hilit=abbeylands

However, there were less than 30 sales over 2.5m in Dublin in 2005, and about 50% are in D4+D6, so they still need patience.
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65796

Still, hard to believe someone paid almost 2.0m for Mount Prospect up the road a few months ago (no site, no sea-view, and on a much poorer part of Killiney Hill Road), when for 20% more, they could have 1 acre + coach house +sea view with Hillside ?
http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64533&hilit=mount+prospect


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:27 am 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Apr 30, 2013
Posts: 1648
Price drop to 2.250m
https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/hillside-killiney-hill-road-killiney-co-dublin/3582091

The agent is - wisely - showing the full photos and the semi-D neighbor (what an unfortunate decision the owners made here).

I think it will sell at this c. price.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Sep 13, 2010
Posts: 108
I see this one was front page of the Indo supplement yesterday. The blurb neglected to mention the eyesore of a derelict house adjacent to it (Ashton) and the fact there is approved planning for at least one other (large) new build on the same site by the owners of Ashton - see the DLRCC planning app D13A/0424.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WIW Hillside, Killiney Hill Road, Killiney, Co. Dublin.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: Sep 23, 2014
Posts: 36
Sold for €2m 05-12-2017


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com