Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:38 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I've had a number of absolutely bizarre houses lately that I wanted to post but had nowhere to do it, so let's start a new thread.

Feel free to post any unusual or whacky properties that you come across.

Post subject: Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

To kick it off, a newly listed holiday villa on Costa del Glasnevin:

http://myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1 ... 11/3316167
14 SYCAMORE ROAD, Glasnevin, Dublin 11
€600,000 - 5 Bed Semi-Detached House 190 m² / 2045 ft² For Sale

Nothing wrong with the house per se - looks like a solid family home by all accounts and probably a fun place to live, but just in awe at the whole thing. From the terrace off the bedroom to the outdoor pool, it is quite literally a holiday villa plonked in Glasnevin!

Complete with guest accommodation (2 bed mews) to the rear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:02 pm 
Single Home Owner

SoCoDu wrote:

I wonder what the chicken wire fence is keeping out? Pet dogs determined to have a dip? Chickens? Do they keep ducks in the pool? Foxes? Curious.

Actually - never mind the pool. Why have they stereo solid fuel stoves in the sitting-room?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Nationalised

Hex wrote:
I wonder what the chicken wire fence is keeping out?

Children.

The top two causes of death and serious injury among toddlers are cars and water. It's amazing how many people worry about child predators and yet don't have proper car seats or let their kids play unsupervised near water. People are bad at assessing risk.

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

the fence is to keep out small children would be my guess

swimming pools can be very dangerous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:25 pm 
Single Home Owner

No consideration given to the kiddies who could wander into their unsecured front garden and come to harm in the unfenced garden pond.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:33 pm 
Private Tenant

Place looks a mess, but you get swimming pool, mews etc etc

I wonder how wide the wide angle lens was on the pool?!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

Ok so "Glasnevin" is one of those elastic areas that stretches far into adjoining neighbourhoods. But this is taking the mickey. Sycamore Road is Finglas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 pm 
Nationalised

The house itself is not that appealing on the internal fit and styling, but the space is really what should be the norm

However I think for dreary old ireland that falls into "The Great" and possibly "The Optimistic" for the backgarden alone, a serious fairplay to everyone who made that happen, oh it's probably in negative equity but it's a real gem. The rest of the house is hum drum with more space. The back garden has some character.

Swimming facilities are appalling in Ireland like much else and I applaud their simple vision. Even if it's raining it can be warm enough to have a swim. Maybe it's heated to a degree! Why lucky kids to be living in that house past, present and future.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 pm 
Property Magnate

Open Window wrote:
The house itself is not that appealing on the internal fit and styling, but the space is really what should be the norm

However I think for dreary old ireland that falls into "The Great" and possibly "The Optimistic" for the backgarden alone, a serious fairplay to everyone who made that happen, oh it's probably in negative equity but it's a real gem. The rest of the house is hum drum with more space. The back garden has some character.

Swimming facilities are appalling in Ireland like much else and I applaud their simple vision. Even if it's raining it can be warm enough to have a swim. Maybe it's heated to a degree! Why lucky kids to be living in that house past, present and future.

Yep, not exactly my cup of tea but fair play to them for doing something different, and for ignoring the Irish weather and building a pool regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 pm 
Nationalised

mortgageboy wrote:
Open Window wrote:

Yep, not exactly my cup of tea but fair play to them for doing something different, and for ignoring the Irish weather and building a pool regardless.

Yea, cause you know it's so dam easy to plumb for the helipad when budgets start to buckle under the pressure. Getting one of the kids to paint a H on the lawn cuts the renovation budget by a substantial amount I'm sure! 8DD

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:50 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

I think that is fantastic (in the sense that its adventurous rather than fantastic I got to have it, take my money). More power to those that owned it and put the effort in.

It's not to everyone's tastes but they've certainly tried to make use of every available sq foot. I wonder how they got sign off for the downstairs loo (doesn't there have to be 2 doors between it and the kitchen - given the open place everything opens into the kitchen).

Maybe if they had gone without the Mews/Chalet the back garden would have flowed better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:37 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:
local amenities include the Botanic Gardens and Hampstead Park.

Local as in a 45 minute walk away, according to Google. In much the same way that Donnybrook Fair is a local amenity if you live on Capel Street.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 am 
Under CAB Investigation

I think the downlighters are actually the worst thing about the place

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:29 am 
Too Big to Fail

Castleville, 12 Sandymount Green, Sandymount, Dublin 4
http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochu ... -4/2889757
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63092&p=819316

Showing Sale Agreed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next