Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it the case that many of the <80% LTV FTBers are likely to be using parental gifts as deposits?

Regardless, the reason they don't go to 80% is more likely to be the LTI restrictions than moral prudence or self-restraint.

I just don't think there should be discrimination based on LTV.

The buyers who have a lower LTV, perhaps because of having lower incomes and not qualifying for higher amounts under LTI rules, will still face the increased prices that will inevitable arise as a result of the 5% rebate, but will not be able to avail of it, so they'll be getting royally screwed simply because their earnings aren't high enough. These could be people who have gotten generous parental help, or they could be lower income couples who have saved hard and can't get their LTVs up to 80%+ because of the LTI restrictions. I just don't see how it is equitable to discriminate based on LTV - either given it to all the FTBs of new homes up to €600k or give it to none IMO. It seems totally unfair.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:02 pm 
Single Home Owner

When will this decision be finalised once and for all? I have gone sale agreed on a property and had a 60% LTV. I couldnt go 80% LTV even if I wanted but 70% if possible but means restarting my mortgage application. It seems mad not to take a 70%LTV and get 5% cashback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 pm 
Property Magnate

SoCoDu wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it the case that many of the <80% LTV FTBers are likely to be using parental gifts as deposits?

Regardless, the reason they don't go to 80% is more likely to be the LTI restrictions than moral prudence or self-restraint.

I just don't think there should be discrimination based on LTV.

The buyers who have a lower LTV, perhaps because of having lower incomes and not qualifying for higher amounts under LTI rules, will still face the increased prices that will inevitable arise as a result of the 5% rebate, but will not be able to avail of it, so they'll be getting royally screwed simply because their earnings aren't high enough. These could be people who have gotten generous parental help, or they could be lower income couples who have saved hard and can't get their LTVs up to 80%+ because of the LTI restrictions. I just don't see how it is equitable to discriminate based on LTV - either given it to all the FTBs of new homes up to €600k or give it to none IMO. It seems totally unfair.

I agree that it's unfair. Given that it really is just a help-to-build scheme, the money should actually available to all FTBers. I always wonder how these things don't end up challenged in the court?- as it's essentially state aid to one cohort and not another.

But Ireland is built on inequality when it comes to housing.
The Mortgage Interest Relief is one just example: buyer who bought house 6 months earlier or later than the window doesn't get to avail of relief... But those in an arbitrary window do. AND the relief got extended in duration. Just shocking stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

super wrote:
When will this decision be finalised once and for all? I have gone sale agreed on a property and had a 60% LTV. I couldnt go 80% LTV even if I wanted but 70% if possible but means restarting my mortgage application. It seems mad not to take a 70%LTV and get 5% cashback.

Finalised next wk I think, accorsing to radio. Sure get application together and put it with your manager. Ask him to send it in to risk but not to axt on it until final details known. Should be approved straight off.

Then struts around like it won.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

FTBer wrote:

That's a bit of an odd statement. Clearly everyone does not have equals needs or means.

If a reference to fairness, you'll never get agreement on what constitutes fairness because different people hold mutually exclusive ideas of what that means.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm 
Property Magnate

Eschatologist wrote:
FTBer wrote:

That's a bit of an odd statement. Clearly everyone does not have equals needs or means.

If a reference to fairness, you'll never get agreement on what constitutes fairness because different people hold mutually exclusive ideas of what that means.

Ok, to clarify, I understand that not everyone has equal means or needs. What does annoy me is when people with exactly equal means & needs are not treated equally by the State.

Mortgage Interest Relief is a prime example, I think.
2 people with exact same means & needs - but one buys a house on 30 Dec 2012, and another buys on 01 Jan 2013. The first gets mortgage interest relief on the purchase, the second doesn't.
And while you might not think that is unfair, I'd argue that it is. But, you could say that was the tax regime at the time... "if you are in early, you benefit" etc etc. And I could grudgingly see your point.
But what is freakishly unfair is the extension of that interest relief in recent years - just because it buys votes - and yet those after can STILL not avail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

FTBer wrote:
Ok, to clarify, I understand that not everyone has equal means or needs. What does annoy me is when people with exactly equal means & needs are not treated equally by the State.

2 people with exact same means & needs - but one buys a house on 30 Dec 2012, and another buys on 01 Jan 2013. The first gets mortgage interest relief on the purchase, the second doesn't.
And while you might not think that is unfair, I'd argue that it is. But, you could say that was the tax regime at the time... "if you are in early, you benefit" etc etc. And I could grudgingly see your point.
But what is freakishly unfair is the extension of that interest relief in recent years - just because it buys votes - and yet those after can STILL not avail.

It's unfair, and I think most people would call it unfair (having bought this year, I'm quite jealous), but it's pragmatic; abolishing it immediately would probably lead to a storm of defaults, and, since we can't repossess in this country, either the raising of SVR interest rates or another bank bailout or both to compensate.

It'd make more sense to provide it only to those who were in danger of default without it, mind you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I think what it points to is people can't afford to own the homes they buy. Mortgage interest relief, tracker mortgages, help to buy grant, complaints about CBank 80% limits, 2/3% cashback etc people are stretching all the time.

The cycle is inevitable. Brexit will be the Irish property markets next "it was Lehman what done it". It is crazy to see one half of the news complaining about how Brexit will screw our small open economy and the next we big up house prices.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm 
Property Magnate

Worstpigeon wrote:
FTBer wrote:

It's unfair, and I think most people would call it unfair (having bought this year, I'm quite jealous), but it's pragmatic; abolishing it immediately would probably lead to a storm of defaults, and, since we can't repossess in this country, either the raising of SVR interest rates or another bank bailout or both to compensate.

It'd make more sense to provide it only to those who were in danger of default without it, mind you.

I agree. But what would make more sense would be to give it to all home owners. And maybe restrict it to the first 5 years of the mortgage - not an arbitrary year when the purchase occurred.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Wasn't aware there was a 5 year rebate for anyone who gets the grant and then sells up.
http://www.independent.ie/business/budg ... 48801.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

First-time buyers scheme to be lowered to €500,000

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.2853191

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:20 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Also, if contracts signed before 2017, you get the money paid to you. From 2017, it goes straight to vendor i.e. developer. That's unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:21 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

How would that work with self-build - you can't get the valuation until the house is finished and the builder is paid off by then?

I assume there's some kind of tax/CGT issue to stop me "buying" my site from my parents and them gifting me back the money (to pay down the mortgage immediately) as a separate transaction?

I'm enraged by the unfairness of it all tbh - we're making some serious compromises to settle where the site is, and I have decent savings so our LTV will be around 50% - but I paid all those (and more, much much more) taxes (and yes I know I am fortunate to have the site) and the idea that the government will "help" you only if you couldn't/didn't help yourself is just outrageous. But it's not really about the buyer is it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 pm 

developers nest..

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:34 pm 

SBP reporting the following:

"First-time buyer scheme faces axe. Bankers and estate agents warn of price surge in new year; FF accuses government of trying to push up prices"

Will FF try to steal the populist vote on the back of the property crisis. Be careful voters - It's a trap :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?