Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Feb 21, 2012
Posts: 2195
Location: South Dublin
Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it the case that many of the <80% LTV FTBers are likely to be using parental gifts as deposits?

Regardless, the reason they don't go to 80% is more likely to be the LTI restrictions than moral prudence or self-restraint.

I just don't think there should be discrimination based on LTV.

The buyers who have a lower LTV, perhaps because of having lower incomes and not qualifying for higher amounts under LTI rules, will still face the increased prices that will inevitable arise as a result of the 5% rebate, but will not be able to avail of it, so they'll be getting royally screwed simply because their earnings aren't high enough. These could be people who have gotten generous parental help, or they could be lower income couples who have saved hard and can't get their LTVs up to 80%+ because of the LTI restrictions. I just don't see how it is equitable to discriminate based on LTV - either given it to all the FTBs of new homes up to €600k or give it to none IMO. It seems totally unfair.

_________________
Dublin's Great Estates Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:02 pm 
Offline
Single Home Owner

Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Posts: 189
When will this decision be finalised once and for all? I have gone sale agreed on a property and had a 60% LTV. I couldnt go 80% LTV even if I wanted but 70% if possible but means restarting my mortgage application. It seems mad not to take a 70%LTV and get 5% cashback.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Oct 12, 2014
Posts: 608
Location: Dublin
SoCoDu wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it the case that many of the <80% LTV FTBers are likely to be using parental gifts as deposits?

Regardless, the reason they don't go to 80% is more likely to be the LTI restrictions than moral prudence or self-restraint.

I just don't think there should be discrimination based on LTV.

The buyers who have a lower LTV, perhaps because of having lower incomes and not qualifying for higher amounts under LTI rules, will still face the increased prices that will inevitable arise as a result of the 5% rebate, but will not be able to avail of it, so they'll be getting royally screwed simply because their earnings aren't high enough. These could be people who have gotten generous parental help, or they could be lower income couples who have saved hard and can't get their LTVs up to 80%+ because of the LTI restrictions. I just don't see how it is equitable to discriminate based on LTV - either given it to all the FTBs of new homes up to €600k or give it to none IMO. It seems totally unfair.

I agree that it's unfair. Given that it really is just a help-to-build scheme, the money should actually available to all FTBers. I always wonder how these things don't end up challenged in the court?- as it's essentially state aid to one cohort and not another.

But Ireland is built on inequality when it comes to housing.
The Mortgage Interest Relief is one just example: buyer who bought house 6 months earlier or later than the window doesn't get to avail of relief... But those in an arbitrary window do. AND the relief got extended in duration. Just shocking stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:26 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 2, 2008
Posts: 1581
super wrote:
When will this decision be finalised once and for all? I have gone sale agreed on a property and had a 60% LTV. I couldnt go 80% LTV even if I wanted but 70% if possible but means restarting my mortgage application. It seems mad not to take a 70%LTV and get 5% cashback.


Finalised next wk I think, accorsing to radio. Sure get application together and put it with your manager. Ask him to send it in to risk but not to axt on it until final details known. Should be approved straight off.

_________________
“Never play chess with a pigeon.
The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over.
Then shits all over the board.
Then struts around like it won.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 pm 
Online
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5054
FTBer wrote:
But Ireland is built on inequality when it comes to housing.

That's a bit of an odd statement. Clearly everyone does not have equals needs or means.

If a reference to fairness, you'll never get agreement on what constitutes fairness because different people hold mutually exclusive ideas of what that means.

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Oct 12, 2014
Posts: 608
Location: Dublin
Eschatologist wrote:
FTBer wrote:
But Ireland is built on inequality when it comes to housing.

That's a bit of an odd statement. Clearly everyone does not have equals needs or means.

If a reference to fairness, you'll never get agreement on what constitutes fairness because different people hold mutually exclusive ideas of what that means.

Ok, to clarify, I understand that not everyone has equal means or needs. What does annoy me is when people with exactly equal means & needs are not treated equally by the State.

Mortgage Interest Relief is a prime example, I think.
2 people with exact same means & needs - but one buys a house on 30 Dec 2012, and another buys on 01 Jan 2013. The first gets mortgage interest relief on the purchase, the second doesn't.
And while you might not think that is unfair, I'd argue that it is. But, you could say that was the tax regime at the time... "if you are in early, you benefit" etc etc. And I could grudgingly see your point.
But what is freakishly unfair is the extension of that interest relief in recent years - just because it buys votes - and yet those after can STILL not avail.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Sep 15, 2015
Posts: 1471
FTBer wrote:
Ok, to clarify, I understand that not everyone has equal means or needs. What does annoy me is when people with exactly equal means & needs are not treated equally by the State.

Mortgage Interest Relief is a prime example, I think.
2 people with exact same means & needs - but one buys a house on 30 Dec 2012, and another buys on 01 Jan 2013. The first gets mortgage interest relief on the purchase, the second doesn't.
And while you might not think that is unfair, I'd argue that it is. But, you could say that was the tax regime at the time... "if you are in early, you benefit" etc etc. And I could grudgingly see your point.
But what is freakishly unfair is the extension of that interest relief in recent years - just because it buys votes - and yet those after can STILL not avail.


It's unfair, and I think most people would call it unfair (having bought this year, I'm quite jealous), but it's pragmatic; abolishing it immediately would probably lead to a storm of defaults, and, since we can't repossess in this country, either the raising of SVR interest rates or another bank bailout or both to compensate.

It'd make more sense to provide it only to those who were in danger of default without it, mind you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:22 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 2, 2008
Posts: 1581
I think what it points to is people can't afford to own the homes they buy. Mortgage interest relief, tracker mortgages, help to buy grant, complaints about CBank 80% limits, 2/3% cashback etc people are stretching all the time.

The cycle is inevitable. Brexit will be the Irish property markets next "it was Lehman what done it". It is crazy to see one half of the news complaining about how Brexit will screw our small open economy and the next we big up house prices.

_________________
“Never play chess with a pigeon.
The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over.
Then shits all over the board.
Then struts around like it won.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Oct 12, 2014
Posts: 608
Location: Dublin
Worstpigeon wrote:
FTBer wrote:
Ok, to clarify, I understand that not everyone has equal means or needs. What does annoy me is when people with exactly equal means & needs are not treated equally by the State.

Mortgage Interest Relief is a prime example, I think.
2 people with exact same means & needs - but one buys a house on 30 Dec 2012, and another buys on 01 Jan 2013. The first gets mortgage interest relief on the purchase, the second doesn't.
And while you might not think that is unfair, I'd argue that it is. But, you could say that was the tax regime at the time... "if you are in early, you benefit" etc etc. And I could grudgingly see your point.
But what is freakishly unfair is the extension of that interest relief in recent years - just because it buys votes - and yet those after can STILL not avail.


It's unfair, and I think most people would call it unfair (having bought this year, I'm quite jealous), but it's pragmatic; abolishing it immediately would probably lead to a storm of defaults, and, since we can't repossess in this country, either the raising of SVR interest rates or another bank bailout or both to compensate.

It'd make more sense to provide it only to those who were in danger of default without it, mind you.

I agree. But what would make more sense would be to give it to all home owners. And maybe restrict it to the first 5 years of the mortgage - not an arbitrary year when the purchase occurred.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:02 am 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Nov 4, 2011
Posts: 5739
Location: SthDub
Wasn't aware there was a 5 year rebate for anyone who gets the grant and then sells up.
http://www.independent.ie/business/budg ... 48801.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance
User avatar

Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Posts: 5013
First-time buyers scheme to be lowered to €500,000

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.2853191


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:20 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation

Joined: Jan 2, 2008
Posts: 1581
Also, if contracts signed before 2017, you get the money paid to you. From 2017, it goes straight to vendor i.e. developer. That's unreal.

_________________
“Never play chess with a pigeon.
The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over.
Then shits all over the board.
Then struts around like it won.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:21 pm 
Offline
Holiday Home Owner

Joined: May 29, 2009
Posts: 337
How would that work with self-build - you can't get the valuation until the house is finished and the builder is paid off by then?

I assume there's some kind of tax/CGT issue to stop me "buying" my site from my parents and them gifting me back the money (to pay down the mortgage immediately) as a separate transaction?

I'm enraged by the unfairness of it all tbh - we're making some serious compromises to settle where the site is, and I have decent savings so our LTV will be around 50% - but I paid all those (and more, much much more) taxes (and yes I know I am fortunate to have the site) and the idea that the government will "help" you only if you couldn't/didn't help yourself is just outrageous. But it's not really about the buyer is it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jul 31, 2011
Posts: 1405
Location: 0-71
developers nest..

_________________
Why it was so windy there?... I am out.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Budget 2017 - First Time Buyers Income Tax Refund
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:34 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Jan 28, 2013
Posts: 1336
SBP reporting the following:

"First-time buyer scheme faces axe. Bankers and estate agents warn of price surge in new year; FF accuses government of trying to push up prices"

Will FF try to steal the populist vote on the back of the property crisis. Be careful voters - It's a trap :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

    Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com