Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Fit out - best Value?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm 
Speculator

Anyone fit out a house recently? ...what are your top tips for getting best value on Furniture, Appliances, Blinds, Flooring, Carpet etc?
No necessarily looking for the cheapest ..just if you got genuine good deal or great service etc.

I am of the school that says "you get what you pay for" ..but shopping around must result in big savings over an entire house.

Post subject: Re: Fit out - best Value?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
Nationalised

IKEA.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:08 pm 
Speculator

mr_anderson wrote:
IKEA.

Thanks ...but not a chance ...I've just dumped all the IKEA stuff out of it :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:45 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I bought all my kitchen appliances in 1 go from DID, via their head office. Got a 15% discount off of the advertised prices.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:10 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It depends on how much work you want to do yourself.

We left next to nothing in the kitty when we bought to keep our debt down.

We went with second hand solid wooden furniture via DoneDeal and adverts for a couple of items. We repainted them ourselves and counting all costs (except time) I reckon we've saved € 1,300 on two items of furniture. (Kitchen dresser and Bedroom set). Having access to a van helps.

Saved money on the flooring by lifting the tiles ourselves and the carpets. The guys who installed our wooden floors were looking for €400 to lift the tiles. I managed to salvage a lot of them too and sold them on.

For blinds, use the one supplier if you can to avail of discounts. The same for curtains.

We used amazon for door handles and hinges. The first set bought didn't suit so I sold them on, on adverts, actually making a profit on them.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Recently bought a new build so:

For storage furniture I'd second ikea. We went to half the furniture shops in Dublin across all price points, don't think I found one drawer in any unit that closed as smoothly as an IKEA drawer. Lots of fancy looking expensive stuff that felt cheap and shoddy up close. Often with drawers and shelves of inappropriate dimensions that would be next to useless. Our kitchen doesn't seem to be great, it'll be replaced with Ikea when the time comes. Already can't wait.

Flooring. We got laminate throughout. Quality is excellent these days and you don't have the maintenance issues you have with engineered or real wood. Upstairs came from a builder supplier, downstairs is quickstep from des Kelly. Builder suppliers generally have a decent range of well priced laminate. If you're buying a new build ask the foreman/lads around the site. They'll know people looking for nixers and you can probably get a good deal. Also neighbours tend to be a good source of recommendations.

For the feature stuff, arnotts have lovely furniture, expensive but decent quality. Most of the furniture they have is concessions to the shops in the beacon south quarter so that's worth a wander too. We got a great deal on a table in Flanagan Kerins near Bray, also got a great deal on blinds in their concession. Think the concession has moved out to their own shop now but I'm sure you could track it down.

Other then that I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the furniture shops. Heavy, dated furniture or over priced uk multiples for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

We got blinds through Kavanagh's of Ballyfermot/Walkinstown. I'd recommend them. Good price and follow up service.

Flooring. We went with the Balaterio laminate brand and found the best value in One Stop Floors in Enfield. Delivery included in the price.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm 
Too Big to Fail

jess wrote:
For storage furniture I'd second ikea. We went to half the furniture shops in Dublin across all price points, don't think I found one drawer in any unit that closed as smoothly as an IKEA drawer. Lots of fancy looking expensive stuff that felt cheap and shoddy up close. Often with drawers and shelves of inappropriate dimensions that would be next to useless. Our kitchen doesn't seem to be great, it'll be replaced with Ikea when the time comes. Already can't wait.

The problem with Ikea is that although the fittings are OK, the furniture tends to be made of chipboard/laminate and that tends to de-laminate and discolour over time.

If you want solid wood you need to look elsewhere (unless this has changed).

The non-"wood" Ikea stuff is fine. I still have a glass-topped metal table I bought from Ikea about 15 years ago for £90. It's been shunted around different rooms of four houses and still looks perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:47 pm 
Speculator

FreeFallin wrote:
We got blinds through Kavanagh's of Ballyfermot/Walkinstown. I'd recommend them. Good price and follow up service.

Flooring. We went with the Balaterio laminate brand and found the best value in One Stop Floors in Enfield. Delivery included in the price.

Thanks ..actually I saw "Balaterio laminate" in a show room recently ..yes I agree quality stuff.
Do you recommend One Stop Floors for fitting ...workmanship? ...I will need to remove the skirting (to avoid beading)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I was getting an extension so the Builders did the fitting, lifted the skirting etc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Eschatologist wrote:
jess wrote:

The problem with Ikea is that although the fittings are OK, the furniture tends to be made of chipboard/laminate and that tends to de-laminate and discolour over time.

If you want solid wood you need to look elsewhere (unless this has changed).

The non-"wood" Ikea stuff is fine. I still have a glass-topped metal table I bought from Ikea about 15 years ago for £90. It's been shunted around different rooms of four houses and still looks perfect.

Plenty of non-ikea stuff is chipboard and laminate too and I found it was either lower quality at similar to double ikeas prices or well designed with a high quality feel at 5-10 times the price. The latter was too big a step up price wise to be worth it for us.

I was uniformly disappointed in the solid wood storage furniture I saw. Old fashioned, clunky, poorly designed functionality and scratchy drawers.

The non-storage furniture - beds, sofas, tables, chairs we generally went for non ikea as there is better value in non-ikea stores out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:51 pm 
Speculator

Dubhgeannain wrote:
It depends on how much work you want to do yourself.

We left next to nothing in the kitty when we bought to keep our debt down.

We went with second hand solid wooden furniture via DoneDeal and adverts for a couple of items. We repainted them ourselves and counting all costs (except time) I reckon we've saved € 1,300 on two items of furniture. (Kitchen dresser and Bedroom set). Having access to a van helps.

Saved money on the flooring by lifting the tiles ourselves and the carpets. The guys who installed our wooden floors were looking for €400 to lift the tiles. I managed to salvage a lot of them too and sold them on.

For blinds, use the one supplier if you can to avail of discounts. The same for curtains.

We used amazon for door handles and hinges. The first set bought didn't suit so I sold them on, on adverts, actually making a profit on them.

Did some of up cycling in the past ...took some old but solid pieces ...applied trendy coloured chalk paint, seal and even some decollage to the inside of drawers etc.
Works very well if you have the time and use sparingly (the odd piece here and there)...don't have time now.

Although ...cabinet marker quoted me outrageous money for built in unit beside the fireplace ...something basic to house the TV...I'm tempted to get out them brushes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am 
Speculator

FreeFallin wrote:
I bought all my kitchen appliances in 1 go from DID, via their head office. Got a 15% discount off of the advertised prices.

Interesting..thanks, I would have thought a branch would do a bulk discount also.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am 
Of Systemic Importance

EuroTom wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:

Interesting..thanks, I would have thought a branch would do a bulk discount also.

Probably would. It was just easier to do it over the phone for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 am 
Nationalised

DFS are ok for sofas.
But delivery takes about 4 weeks.
http://www.made.com/ are not cheap, but very, very nice.

Cash & Carry kitchens are better than their cheap-sounding name.
Don't let it put you off.
I'd have no problem recommending them.

Never buy a bed from IKEA, as their dimensions are different to normal industry standards.
This affects you when changing mattresses.
IKEA wardrobes are reasonably good.
So much about wardrobes is a result of how they are fitted - i.e. chop the skirting board so the wardrobe fully rests on the back wall etc.

Choose light switches & door handles well.
It's the little things that make a difference.