Post subject: Motorway noise
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:40 pm 
Homeless

I've noticed a couple of properties lately which tick all the boxes for me but are quite near the M50 or M11.
This one for example https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... 18/3730388

How big of an issue would it be? i guess inside the noise wouldn't be noticeable but id be afraid that it would ruin the garden experience listening to the constant hum?
Any thoughts or experiences?

Post subject: Re: Motorway noise
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
Neo Landlord

In my opinion living close by a busy motorway is every bit as bad as living directly under an airport flight path. Exposure to noise above 85 decibels is considered hazardous .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm 
Neo Landlord

Yeatsman wrote:
I've noticed a couple of properties lately which tick all the boxes for me but are quite near the M50 or M11.
This one for example https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... 18/3730388

How big of an issue would it be? i guess inside the noise wouldn't be noticeable but id be afraid that it would ruin the garden experience listening to the constant hum?
Any thoughts or experiences?

I'd be more concerned about PM10 and PM2.5 especially with the amount of garages quietly removing DPF's instead of replacing them. Longer term, when everything on the motorway is electric you could be onto a winner...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm 
Nationalised

owenm wrote:
Longer term, when everything on the motorway is electric you could be onto a winner...

Which will sort the fumes issue, but tire noise is what you hear from motorways...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

If I'm not mistaken, that estate is on a sloped site quite high above the motorway which would be a help. In addition, there is quite a thick row of mature trees along the motorway. Also, the prevailing winds tends to blow the noise in the other direction. (I notice this a lot while walking in South Park - which is opposite Dunne's in Cornelscourt. The noise is much worse there than on the other side, as that tends to be the way the wind blows. But the only way is to check it out for yourself.)

(I'm about 280m from the M11 - also on that side and the noise isn't an issue.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 pm 
Homeless

HiFi wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, that estate is on a sloped site quite high above the motorway which would be a help. In addition, there is quite a thick row of mature trees along the motorway. Also, the prevailing winds tends to blow the noise in the other direction. (I notice this a lot while walking in South Park - which is opposite Dunne's in Cornelscourt. The noise is much worse there than on the other side, as that tends to be the way the wind blows. But the only way is to check it out for yourself.)

(I'm about 280m from the M11 - also on that side and the noise isn't an issue.)

Thats interesting, yes ill check it out myself at various times of the day , i'd expect the less busy times in terms of traffic would be noisiest as the traffic will be going quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:17 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

owenm wrote:
Longer term, when everything on the motorway is electric you could be onto a winner...

Very very longer term...

The expected life of a vehicle to scrappage is 20 yrs
There are 2 billion vehicles in circulation
There are 100m new vehicles added per year
Right now less than half of 1% of those new 100m vehicles are electric.
Even if all of those 100m this year were made electric and a combustion engine vehicle was never built again it will still take 20 years to before the last one leaves the road.

The replacement rate might get quicker as the old fossil combustion engines market share declines but they are here to say for decades to come.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

IMO it depends on the house.

I viewed a place in Rathmichael with a lovely, well-screened garden of about half an acre. The M50 noise was constant. I would have found it unbearable, because the garden was so lovely I'd want to spend time in it.

New build in Diswellstown with a postage stamp garden and same level of M50 noise - more a nuisance than a deal-killer.

edit: the Rathmichael one is still for sale over a year later. The BER cert is dates 29/04/2015, so it's been on for almost 2 years. I guess I'm not alone in being put off the noise at that price.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... 18/2850928

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:47 am 
Nationalised

Fumes fumes fumes

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/04/healt ... ajor-road/

If you or future/current kids are like me and have a strong sense of smell then fumes will wreck your head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 am 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:

I viewed a place in Rathmichael with a lovely, well-screened garden of about half an acre. The M50 noise was constant. I would have found it unbearable, because the garden was so lovely I'd want to spend time in it.

New build in Diswellstown with a postage stamp garden and same level of M50 noise - more a nuisance than a deal-killer.

edit: the Rathmichael one is still for sale over a year later. The BER cert is dates 29/04/2015, so it's been on for almost 2 years. I guess I'm not alone in being put off the noise at that price.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/broch ... 18/2850928

I used to cycle Rathmichael way and noticed the noise being particularly bad. As you have alluded to, maybe the verdant vista and salubrious dwellings make it that bit more incongruous...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Terra Incognita wrote:
owenm wrote:

Very very longer term...

Even if all of those 100m this year were made electric and a combustion engine vehicle was never built again it will still take 20 years to before the last one leaves the road.

The replacement rate might get quicker as the old fossil combustion engines market share declines but they are here to say for decades to come.

The noise level will be the same since most of the sound generated is by the tearing sound of the tyre rubber on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Bogman wrote:
Terra Incognita wrote:
owenm wrote:

Very very longer term...

The noise level will be the same since most of the sound generated is by the tearing sound of the tyre rubber on the road.

Yes, at very low speeds (walking speed or a jog), a large part of the noise is from the engine, then at moderate ones (say 20-150 km/h), it's mostly road noise and at very high speeds, such as in racing, engine noise dominates again, with contributions from the road and also air resistance, which you won't really notice at much less than the highest motorway speeds.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 pm 
Homeless

Eschatologist wrote:

It is depends on the house, you right, and the price. Seen a house in Rathmichael, around 3 years ago, literally sitting on motorway, its back garden neighbouring with M50, so the noise was unbearable, for me, but house sold in less then 6 months. It was absolutely adorable house build in the wrong place. I'd say the distance to M50 was reflected in price, same house 2-3 miles away would be 2 times more expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Around here they put speed limits on the autobahn when passing through built up areas. The main A5 has a 100kmph speed limit as it passes by and the motorway entering the city has a 70kmph speed limit and a speed camera.
In addition to that there are 10 metre high walls to deaden/deflect sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:31 pm 
Homeless

Lived close to the M50 before it was built. We stayed for a while after but could not put up with the noise after it was completed, it was unbearable.

That hum is awful all year round but especially on sunny days when you are trying to enjoy the garden and particularly bad on week ends as the traffic is constant all day long.

I have friends who still live right beside the M50 in Carrickmines and it does not bother them one bit and I have others who sold up like us so it depends on the individual.

In my opinion before you buy spend at least 30 mins walking around the garden and listen carefully - then decide if the house is for you.