Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Are we looking at a Mortgage Rates Price War?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:33 am 
Too Big to Fail

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 06039.html

AIB are dropping all rates by 0.25%

Press release
https://group.aib.ie/content/dam/aib/gr ... market.pdf

I expect many banks to follow

Post subject: Re: Are we looking at a Mortgage Rates Price War?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 pm 
Property Magnate

I'm not sure I do expect that.
KBC have been lower for quite a while, and BoI just "tough it out" until they react a little less and their rates are usually considerably higher.

I find it hard to believe that Irish SVRs or Fixed Rates would get much below 3% over next 2 years.
There have been a number of cuts by most banks in last 2 years. I think this potentially might be approaching the end of that cycle?
The EU might start nudging the base rate up in 2018 or 2019?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

The headlines are misleading; if you read the press release, it's actually 0.35% discount for the LTV-based rates that most people presumably actually have. Only reason to be on the old SVR rate (which went down 0.25%) would be if you were in neg equity.

FTBer wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Irish SVRs or Fixed Rates would get much below 3% over next 2 years.

As per the press release, an AIB variable on <50% LTV is now 2.75%. 2.95% for 50-80. Irish mortgage rates are generally far above other European ones, but these (and Ulster Bank's recent cheap fixed rate) do bring us closer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:21 pm 
Property Magnate

So how rigorously are the valuations checked?
I would put an optimistic 250000 valuation on my house.
124000 mortgage outstanding.
Thats >50%
Whats the catch??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

finnie wrote:
Thats >50%
Whats the catch??

AIB generally are reluctant to let people move between LTV bands. If you did move, you'd obviously need a real valuation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:42 am 
Property Magnate

Worstpigeon wrote:
finnie wrote:
Thats >50%
Whats the catch??

AIB generally are reluctant to let people move between LTV bands. If you did move, you'd obviously need a real valuation.

Don't most banks (if not all) provide an approved list of valuers in order to stop excessively optimistic valuations for LTV purposes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:30 am 
Under CAB Investigation

My valuation four years ago for ulster bank consisted of the estate agent asking how much I was buying the house for. He wrote this on his sheet and went off on his way. Easy money for him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:06 pm 
Single Home Owner

I switched to AIB last year (good move as it turns out) - I had to get a valuation from an approved agent who came and did a walk around the house.

given that the ECB rate is effectively 0, as banks funding positions improve and they get bad debts off their books (which is happening slowly) you would expect their costs of borrowing to drop which should allow them to drop mortgage rates while maintaining margins. So it doesn't necessarily mean an ECB rise would automatically be followed by the banks if the market remains competitive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 am 
Under CAB Investigation

The valuation is done by an EA approved by the bank but paid for by you.

When we switched ltv bands the guy undervalued it I think deliberately by about 5%.

They rely on repeat business from the bank and therefore err on the cautious side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 am 
Under CAB Investigation

To be fair, our house was underpriced. So maybe he was just being conservative. It wasn't really his business/concern if the property was undervalued I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 am 
Old Time Landlord

KBC have announced a 10 Year fixed for LTV <60% at 2.95% and for a 60%< LTV <80% at 2.99%, both rates including a 0.2% discount for using a KBC Current Account, by way of comparison AIB launched a 7 year fixed at 3.5% as part of their recent announcement and BOI's existing 10 year fixed rate is 4.2%

Are we slowly moving towards a more European style mortgage market or just a reaction to increasing levels of mortgage switching, hoping to tie customers in with penalty clauses for breaking fixed rate arrangements?

http://www.independent.ie/business/pers ... 50149.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 am 
Old Time Landlord

BuMble wrote:
KBC have announced a 10 Year fixed for LTV <60% at 2.95% and for a 60%< LTV <80% at 2.99%, both rates including a 0.2% discount for using a KBC Current Account, by way of comparison AIB launched a 7 year fixed at 3.5% as part of their recent announcement and BOI's existing 10 year fixed rate is 4.2%

Are we slowly moving towards a more European style mortgage market or just a reaction to increasing levels of mortgage switching, hoping to tie customers in with penalty clauses for breaking fixed rate arrangements?

at the moment the costs for breaking out of fixed rate mortgages are negligible,

by that i mean if you fixed recently.

a friend of mine broke out of a UB fixed rate of 3% to fix at 2.6% with no penalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am 
Too Big to Fail

A lot more switching going on with the cash back deals so makes sense to lock them into fixed rates

2.95% 10 year fixed <60% LTV is good, but you need to have current a/c with them, or else you pay 3.15%

I've a legacy Ulster Bank Ufirst current a/c for 10euro a month - more than the €4 monthly fee for regular current a/c but I get extra perks like 25% off anything booked with ticketmaster, free phone and travel insurance, discount on mortgage rates, free €500 overdraft. so don't plan on closing that anytime soon.

Hopefully UB will go with something similar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 am 
Old Time Landlord

cyrusir wrote:
BuMble wrote:

at the moment the costs for breaking out of fixed rate mortgages are negligible,

a friend of mine broke out of a UB fixed rate of 3% to fix at 2.6% with no penalty

We're currently 50%<LTV<80% with AIB which is going to 2.95% on the basis of the latest change but 10 year fixed at the same rate would tempt me to switch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am 
Of Systemic Importance

cyrusir wrote:
BuMble wrote:

Was the new rate with UB also?