Post subject: Help - Where to get cheap 100w bayonet light bulbs?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:16 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I can't seem to find cheap 100 watt (or even 60w) bayonet light bulbs anywhere!

In Cork city today I tried Dealz, two 2Euro stores, Mr Price, Dunnes, Guiney's, SuperValu. Hickey's was closed.

They all seem to do the new energy efficient ones e.g. 70W new type = 100w old type (actually = only 92w I think). Most only sell screw caps, not bayonet.

Best I found was a 2 pack of 92w bayonet bulbs in SuperValu for 4euro.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Help - Where to get cheap 100w bayonet light bulbs?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:40 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Woodies €2.49 each
MrPrice may have 2x40w 99c
Try Argos? Lenehans.ie? Ebay?

We've banned the good bulbs for years. Am not a bulb expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:29 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Noting that low energy lightbulbs aren't necessarily all their cracked up to be. The lifespan is frequently (I've found) a lot less than stated. I've taken to keeping receipts and availing of no-quibble returns policies in the likes of Tescos

In any case, the inefficient ones give off a lot of heat alongside a bit of light. Change them for far more expensive LED's and you've to compensate by turning on your heating system much of the year round.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:31 pm 
Neo Landlord

Newry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

york wrote:
Noting that low energy lightbulbs aren't necessarily all their cracked up to be. The lifespan is frequently (I've found) a lot less than stated. I've taken to keeping receipts and availing of no-quibble returns policies in the likes of Tescos

In any case, the inefficient ones give off a lot of heat alongside a bit of light. Change them for far more expensive LED's and you've to compensate by turning on your heating system much of the year round.

Yes, the lifespan of the more (and expensive) energy efficient ones tends to be poor, which is a lot of the reason why I've gone back to the cheap, less efficient ones. But now those cheap older ones seem to have been phased out.

Dealz do have the 100w screw cap ones but the highest I can find in cabernet is 40w or so, way too low for most rooms

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm 
Too Big to Fail

temene wrote:
Woodies €2.49 each
MrPrice may have 2x40w 99c
Try Argos? Lenehans.ie? Ebay?

We've banned the good bulbs for years. Am not a bulb expert

Cheers for the suggestions. I recalled the banned being phased in alright. An EU decision?

No joy with Argos either or eBay.

2.49 each in Woodies sounds expensive as I got 2 for 2euro a few months ago!

Never heard of Lenihan's. This is exactly what I'm looking for (2 for 2.95) but out of stock - I've noticed a lot of the stores on eBay are also out of stock for these
https://www.lenehans.ie/status-100w-cle ... -of-2.html

A few good options on Amazon. Will likely go for this and hope they don't break in transit
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 9O28&psc=1

Mad you can't just get a basic 100w cabernet bulbs anymore. I'd assume most people need that type and not a screw cap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I'm experimenting with a red overhead light in my bedroom. To help my sleep you understand :P

https://sleep.org/articles/choosing-lightbulbs/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 pm 
Too Big to Fail

You need to check out some of the latest LED lamps, they're every bit as good and bright as the old incandescent bulbs, but less that 20% of the energy consumption and over 20,000 hours of life, that's at least 20x longer than an incandescent bulb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
You need to check out some of the latest LED lamps, they're every bit as good and bright as the old incandescent bulbs, but less that 20% of the energy consumption and over 20,000 hours of life, that's at least 20x longer than an incandescent bulb.

They also come on instantly and many are dimmable.

The last light fitting I bought was €30 for the fitting and about the same again for the bulbs (the hateful GU10). I suspect the bulbs will outlive the fitting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:24 pm 
Real Estate Developer

dolanbaker wrote:

+1 to this. I was sceptical when my very adventurous electrician installed a few of these a couple of years ago. They are incredibly bright and I'm gradually replacing everything with them. I had mixed experiences with the CFL bulbs - some lasted 5 years + and some just a year. Brand didn't seem to make any difference. The older ones were used mainly in places where the light is on 10+ hours per day. I'm re-using old CFLs in these as I move the rest of the house to LED.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:35 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Tesco says our most popular bulbs are:
https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/ ... 4294954028

€7 for a light bulb? :shock:
I grew up in the era where the wasteful inefficient ones cost 40p each.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:18 pm 
Nationalised

Anyone know where to get those long cylindrical fluorescent bulbs for counter-top lighting (strip lights under wall presses). They are designated "T4" and come in different lengths (I need 480mm and 580mm). Woodies used to do them but have now completely switched to a different type from Osram (and they only have bulbs, no fittings) plus they are stocking various Chinese import battery-powered LEDs.

EDIT: Answered my own question: Amazon. And as I have found before, you only need to buy a couple of small items at a time to make it cheaper to ship from the UK than to buy up the road in Woodies. I despair for Irish retail.

Last edited by ps200306 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
Anyone know where to get those long cylindrical fluorescent bulbs for counter-top lighting (strip lights under wall presses). They are designated "T4" and come in different lengths (I need 480mm and 580mm). Woodies used to do them but have now completely switched to a different type from Osram (and they only have bulbs, no fittings) plus they are stocking various Chinese import battery-powered LEDs.

I've seen them in B&Q, but the last time one failed on me, I replaced the whole unit with a mains (adapter) powered LED unit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
ps200306 wrote:

I've seen them in B&Q, but the last time one failed on me, I replaced the whole unit with a mains (adapter) powered LED unit.

Ta. Found them on Amazon for half the price here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:11 pm 
Too Big to Fail

If you don't need to fit your lamp into a very close-fitting shade, you can get BC22-ES27 adapters (and the reverse, to put native bulbs into screw fittings) for under a fiver. They're usually rated to 1.5 or 2A, so a 100W bulb won't trouble them at all. They'll make the bulb stick out about 10-15mm farther, so they're not good for very small globe shades, but otherwise, you won't see the difference.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,