Post subject: Re: Help - Where to get cheap 100w bayonet light bulbs?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

T4 designates the diameter and the type of connector at the end of the tube, the length can be anything, does the end fitting slide at all.

measure from the ends of the pins

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:07 pm 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
T4 designates the diameter and the type of connector at the end of the tube, the length can be anything, does the end fitting slide at all.

Yeah, I knew that but I presumed there would be some sort of length standardisation, not that you would get 480mm in one manufacturer's range and 470 in another. I saw the discrepancy before I ordered but I foolishly thought that one measurement might be including the end pins and the other not, but no, the difference is very real.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

ps200306 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Anyone know where to get those long cylindrical fluorescent bulbs for counter-top lighting (strip lights under wall presses). They are designated "T4" and come in different lengths (I need 480mm and 580mm). Woodies used to do them but have now completely switched to a different type from Osram (and they only have bulbs, no fittings) plus they are stocking various Chinese import battery-powered LEDs.

I've seen them in B&Q, but the last time one failed on me, I replaced the whole unit with a mains (adapter) powered LED unit.

Ta. Found them on Amazon for half the price here.

Spoke too soon. :(
I assumed "T4" was some sort of standard. I found out to my cost that it isn't. The lights that arrived were one centimetre too long. Back to the drawing board.

Lenehans on Capel Street have a good selection of them (or did when I was looking for an awkward-sized above-sink light a few years ago). Not particularly cheap, tho.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 am 
Nationalised

Thanks wp, will try them if B&Q doesn't come up trumps.