Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?

Post subject: Re: Help - Where to get cheap 100w bayonet light bulbs?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

T4 designates the diameter and the type of connector at the end of the tube, the length can be anything, does the end fitting slide at all.

measure from the ends of the pins

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm 
Nationalised

dolanbaker wrote:
T4 designates the diameter and the type of connector at the end of the tube, the length can be anything, does the end fitting slide at all.

Yeah, I knew that but I presumed there would be some sort of length standardisation, not that you would get 480mm in one manufacturer's range and 470 in another. I saw the discrepancy before I ordered but I foolishly thought that one measurement might be including the end pins and the other not, but no, the difference is very real.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

ps200306 wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Anyone know where to get those long cylindrical fluorescent bulbs for counter-top lighting (strip lights under wall presses). They are designated "T4" and come in different lengths (I need 480mm and 580mm). Woodies used to do them but have now completely switched to a different type from Osram (and they only have bulbs, no fittings) plus they are stocking various Chinese import battery-powered LEDs.

I've seen them in B&Q, but the last time one failed on me, I replaced the whole unit with a mains (adapter) powered LED unit.

Ta. Found them on Amazon for half the price here.

Spoke too soon. :(
I assumed "T4" was some sort of standard. I found out to my cost that it isn't. The lights that arrived were one centimetre too long. Back to the drawing board.

Lenehans on Capel Street have a good selection of them (or did when I was looking for an awkward-sized above-sink light a few years ago). Not particularly cheap, tho.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 am 
Nationalised

Thanks wp, will try them if B&Q doesn't come up trumps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

On the subject of these T4 under kitchen cabinet flourescent lights. Is there some issue with the connectors for these having changed or not being standardised. The ones originally in my kitchen have an exposed 2-pin male connector on the fitting. I thought I was buying a compatible replacement fitting but its 2-pin male connector is recessed in a plastic housing which means it won't connect to the wiring. They seem designed not to interconnect. Can anyone shed some light? TIA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 am 
Nationalised

AWAAF wrote:
On the subject of these T4 under kitchen cabinet flourescent lights. Is there some issue with the connectors for these having changed or not being standardised. The ones originally in my kitchen have an exposed 2-pin male connector on the fitting. I thought I was buying a compatible replacement fitting but its 2-pin male connector is recessed in a plastic housing which means it won't connect to the wiring. They seem designed not to interconnect. Can anyone shed some light? TIA.

That little plastic ferule will come off with a little encouragement. My problem was that even after I did that the bulb wouldn't fit, but was off by one millimetre. Have tried three different suppliers now and can't get a compatible replacement. I replaced one fitting altogether, so now have three different length tubes out of six fluorescent strips. Not sure what to do for the future. Be interested to know how you get on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

In my experience, If these two between them cannot source a bulb then it can't be got.

http://tradeelectriclighting.ie/
https://www.cefltd.ie/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
AWAAF wrote:

That little plastic ferule will come off with a little encouragement. My problem was that even after I did that the bulb wouldn't fit, but was off by one millimetre. Have tried three different suppliers now and can't get a compatible replacement. I replaced one fitting altogether, so now have three different length tubes out of six fluorescent strips. Not sure what to do for the future. Be interested to know how you get on.

Replace all the fittings for newer and longer lasting, safer and more durable LED strips and never have this problem ever again. 8)

If you can wait Lidl/Aldi might have a unit circa €9.99 or you can order similar type rom supplier wherever you like (with more choice in lengths, but lumen output varies based on size). They'll daisy chain like you current ones and if you get the same brand you probably see they still use the same standard housings thus connectors. Therefore you may not even have to replace holding brackets, simply click into place each LED tube unit and wire the first one to the mains/switch, connected the rest and you're done.

You also get to play with colour temps. So choose wisely, nothing less than 3K (the Lidl ones were close to 5/6K temp) Very good for the price but only came in 30cm lengths which is actually fine considering you can make up the length as required by adding one or more.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:57 pm 
Nationalised

It does seem that fluorescent tubes have gone the way of the dinosaur, alright. I've decided I'll go for LEDs sometime between now and when the next one or two bulbs fail. However, an awful lot of LEDs seem to be cheap Chinese imports. I already have one sitting room bulb that cost €13 and failed within a week. For strip lighting I'm worried about getting some cheap old crap with incompatible connectors. On the other hand, there's no way I'm paying the €100 per strip that one of the links posted above indicated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
Nationalised

Hmm... what about the LED lighting that you can roll out on a continuous tape. Is it bright enough to use for under-counter lighting?

EDIT: it appears so ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Hmm... what about the LED lighting that you can roll out on a continuous tape. Is it bright enough to use for under-counter lighting?

Possibly but I'd stay away. If it's in a kitchen application the sealed unit is probably better in terms of reducing electronics to heat exposure, water (steam), oil and touch + probably better light output quality.

When the unit goes you can swap out but LED but LED's do last a long long long time...

Some of that tape comes in very unappealing light output temps and quality of light.

It's a case of buyer beware with unbranded cheap stuff form china (which I've seen in action and it's awful) V's branded QC & QA tested for market but that's not always the case either with some units.

I was very impressed with the LIDL units light output. Clean and fresh with good colour rendering. They'd be great in lots of applications where you need good clean bright light not just kitchens.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:38 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:

EDIT: it appears so ...

Well if it's good quality it should be fine and this will give you lots of freedom in terms of applications but it all depends on usage, users, application surface. Sometimes a sealed unit may be better as outlined in previous post and maybe if there are children of the curious mind who like to tinker or just need one last piece of LED strip to finish a electronics project while you're away on holidays. :x

Keep in mind how clean the undersurface of the cabinets are, are they laden with a thin film of grease?

This where a unit with screw fix bracket might trump the strip approach. You can continue to ignore the other problem... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Went to Stillorgan Paint & Decor which has a large lighting Dept. and generally (to my limited experience) knowledgeable staff. They told me that I had a mixture of ROBUS and a brand called LandLite and that they have incompatible connectors. They weren't aware of any adaptors. I have now standardised on ROBUS fittings as that matches my wiring. I may switch to LEDs next time out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:25 pm 
Nationalised

The LED tapes come in all sorts of color temps and there is a water-proof version. I think you can optionally get a metal strip backing to screw up as well so you don't have to rely on adhering to your greasy cabinets. There are dozens of varieties available on Amazon. I'd say it's possible to pick something of reasonable quality. A mate of mine bought some so I can see it in action. To be honest, they're so cheap that I'd be happy to try it and throw it away -- it would still be cheaper than what I've already spent trying to replace the fluorescent tubes. I put more than half a dozen brand new tubes in the bin last month.

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » Sell, Buy or Rent?