Post subject: Re: Help - Where to get cheap 100w bayonet light bulbs?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I've a load of led bulbs in old bayonet fitting pendants, I've a mixture of IKEA and Phillips hue bulbs. I bought a five pack of adaptors on Amazon so that I don't have to worry about buying scree or bayonet bulbs. Works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 am 
Nationalised

The traditional tungsten filament B22 bayonet bulb is still available but is sold as an improved 'rough service bulb' (stronger filament).

Available on Ebay for about €1.00 each.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:10 pm 
Single Home Owner

the problem I've found with LED bulbs is it's difficult to find them brighter than 60W equivalent, which isn't enough for a bedroom with a single pendant fitting (which is the default in most Irish houses).

york wrote:
In any case, the inefficient ones give off a lot of heat alongside a bit of light. Change them for far more expensive LED's and you've to compensate by turning on your heating system much of the year round.

this is surely bollox - the heating effect of an incandescent bulb in a normal sized room is negligible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I have 50w led bulbs in the kitchen which works well but a non runner in bedrooms

Bedrooms have a mix of screw caps (got those in 100w fairly quickly) and bayonet (has to order 100w online)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

shweeney wrote:
the problem I've found with LED bulbs is it's difficult to find them brighter than 60W equivalent, which isn't enough for a bedroom with a single pendant fitting (which is the default in most Irish houses).

york wrote:
In any case, the inefficient ones give off a lot of heat alongside a bit of light. Change them for far more expensive LED's and you've to compensate by turning on your heating system much of the year round.

this is surely bollox - the heating effect of an incandescent bulb in a normal sized room is negligible.

Maybe you should consider upgrading your insulation if the 95watts of heat has zero affect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

shweeney wrote:
york wrote:

If you have a room with, say, 10 halogen spotlights (not unusual; see myhome :) ), then that's 500W. If they're on for 6 hours a day, that's 3000Wh, so equivalent to running a smallish 1000W electric panel heater for 3 hours. That's a fair bit of heat, really.

Of course, it's also the most inefficient possible way to heat your house; unless you're solely using direct electric heating (no storage heaters, heat pumps etc), you'd be far better off replacing them with, say, these at a cost of 25 euro, 5W each. That way, leaving your lights on for 6 hours a day costs about 6c/day, as opposed to 60, paying for the cost of the replacement in 40 days. I'm really amazed at all this nostalgia for incandescents and halogens; they're inefficient, they're potentially a fire hazard in some circumstances, and they tend not to last long. It was justifiable in the age of CFLs, which are a bit shit, but LEDs are better in most respects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am 
Nationalised

shweeney wrote:

york wrote:

Let's assume the floor dimensions of the room are 3m x 3.5m, with ceiling height of 2.4m, with a single window of 1.2m x 1m.

The room has been constructed to current building regulations with u-values for ceiling, walls, floor and window to 0.20, 0.21, 0.21 and 1.6 W/m2K respectively. This room will require 12.4W of energy to keep the room one degree above the outside ambient temperature.

A 100W bulb would keep the room at 18C while it was 10C outside. If it was 2C outside you would require two 100W bulbs.

With new built homes it makes good sense to consider just using electric heating rather than suffering the cost of installing and maintaining oil or gas boilers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am 
Too Big to Fail

Coles2 wrote:
A 100W bulb would keep the room at 18C while it was 10C outside. If it was 2C outside you would require two 100W bulbs.

Except that those are theoretical values at build time, and don't take into account air permeability, ventilation requirements, sloppy construction, thermal looping etc.

If it really was possible to keep a room warm with a couple of hundred watts we wouldn't need any heating at all since the occupants and appliances produce that much by just being alive/turned on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 am 
Real Estate Developer

Eschatologist wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Except that those are theoretical values at build time, and don't take into account air permeability, ventilation requirements, sloppy construction, thermal looping etc.

If it really was possible to keep a room warm with a couple of hundred watts we wouldn't need any heating at all since the occupants and appliances produce that much by just being alive/turned on.

It really is possible, it is called "passive house" and even works in colder climates than Ireland.

Does of course require some building practices and materials that are usually beyond the typical capability of the Irish building industry, given they are still stuck in the 1960ies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41 am 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
Coles2 wrote:

Fair point about the ventilation. It's a massive source of heat loss. Even with good heat recovery ventilation it would lose about twice as much energy as is lost through the walls/ceiling/floor.

With regards to NZEB standard, Passiv, or similar the heat of appliances and humans is a very important consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am 
Too Big to Fail

Worstpigeon wrote:
I'm really amazed at all this nostalgia for incandescents and halogens; they're inefficient, they're potentially a fire hazard in some circumstances, and they tend not to last long. It was justifiable in the age of CFLs, which are a bit shit, but LEDs are better in most respects.

CFL were rubbish. I am using 5W LEDs in the kitchen. I got 70w (=92w) bayonets for bedrooms but had to source these online (10 for €15).

I am open to other cost effective options, if they last as longer or better

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:02 am 
Too Big to Fail

newirishman wrote:
It really is possible, it is called "passive house" and even works in colder climates than Ireland.

Does of course require some building practices and materials that are usually beyond the typical capability of the Irish building industry, given they are still stuck in the 1960ies.

Passive doesn't necessarily mean no heating, it just means no external energy inputs (apart from the enormous embedded energy of the building).

Besides which, different people have different comfort levels/tolerance for cold. I've heard of people in passive houses maintaining a temperature of 18C. I'd get divorced if I attempted to keep the house that cold, the moaning starts at anything below 23C.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 am 
Real Estate Developer

Eschatologist wrote:
newirishman wrote:

Passive doesn't necessarily mean no heating, it just means no external energy inputs (apart from the enormous embedded energy of the building).

Besides which, different people have different comfort levels/tolerance for cold. I've heard of people in passive houses maintaining a temperature of 18C. I'd get divorced if I attempted to keep the house that cold, the moaning starts at anything below 23C.

Passive houses have a normal gas boiler/electric heating system as back up,
So when you think of the roi, it's really not worth it

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm 
Nationalised

conork wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
newirishman wrote:

Passive houses have a normal gas boiler/electric heating system as back up,
So when you think of the roi, it's really not worth it

:shock:

no they don't!

they may have a small stove / cheap electric heating setup but certainly not a normal system

Insulation has a very good ROI and can not break down; PV generation etc on the other hand...

these guys seem to have very affordable passive / near passive offerings;
http://www.scanhome.ie/

anyone with direct experience?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Anyone know where to get those long cylindrical fluorescent bulbs for counter-top lighting (strip lights under wall presses). They are designated "T4" and come in different lengths (I need 480mm and 580mm). Woodies used to do them but have now completely switched to a different type from Osram (and they only have bulbs, no fittings) plus they are stocking various Chinese import battery-powered LEDs.

I've seen them in B&Q, but the last time one failed on me, I replaced the whole unit with a mains (adapter) powered LED unit.

Ta. Found them on Amazon for half the price here.

Spoke too soon. :(
I assumed "T4" was some sort of standard. I found out to my cost that it isn't. The lights that arrived were one centimetre too long. Back to the drawing board.