Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Entering Denial in New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 pm 
Property Magnate

irish_bob wrote:
i lived and worked in new zealand a number of years ago , a truly bizarre attitude to complaining exists , its not tolerated at any level

the standard response to every complaint and criticism from kiwis is " stop whining "

you get this from the man on the street to official goverment bodies

" the heating wont work in the house you rented me " = stop whining

" the car you sold me is failing to stop " = stop whining

" i have yet to receive my tax refund " = stop whining

It honestly sounds like paradise!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 pm 
Neo Landlord

Rubbish. People complain just as much. Short term migrants arent listened to. Thats not unique to nz though. You would have been put into the whinging pom category

tinneym wrote:
irish_bob wrote:
i lived and worked in new zealand a number of years ago , a truly bizarre attitude to complaining exists , its not tolerated at any level

the standard response to every complaint and criticism from kiwis is " stop whining "

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 am 
Neo Landlord

Did it ever cross your mind that you just might have been a whinging pom? Each culture has its own way of complaining and in general what works in one country does not work in another. Dont have a large enough sample of dealing with kiwis but the ones I have dealt with strike me as basically a toned down version of Ozies in attitudes and approach. A bit like Canadians and Americans. A less hard-edged version but still basically the same. Well with all the Ozies and Americans I have know, quiet a lot of both, they both have a very up front culture of complaint. With Canadians and Kiwis it a lot less confrontational but it is still very much there. The Irish (and to a lesser extent the British) dont have a culture of complaint. Incessant moaning and whinging yes. Complaint no. For fecks sake, the best rated non news program on RTE Radio 1 is the Daily Moan a.k.a The Joe Duffy Show. A moan-fest from beginning to end. Every day.

The difference between whinging and complaining is that a complaint not only contains the perceived problem but a solution to fix it. So instead of moaning to all and sundry at the table (and afterwards) - this steak taste like shit - and doing nothing about it but get annoyed and simmer. A complaint would be "waiter - this steak does nt take quite right - would you bring me something else. Or take it off the check..etc. ". The reason why people who come from moaning cultures like the UK and Ireland get such a bad reputation in Oz and the US is precisely because they just dont know how to complaint in a constructive manner. With constructive being the key word here.

It sounds like you never made the transition to a very different culture. Just because they speak the same language does not mean they will think in exactly the same as what you grew up with. Your description of NZ bears not the slightest resembles to what I have heard from other people who have lived there. People not only from the UK, but the US, Canada and even France. Me, I never had any problem with the up front Complaint Culture of Americans , Australians and South Africans. To name but three. A real breath of fresh air after all the suppressed aggression of the moaning culture I grew up in. If the complaint does not contain the solution to the problem then its just a moan. And will be treated accordingly. Which may come as a bit of a shock to those not familiar with this culture.

more assumptions in that post than i could shake a stick at

as for the absurd similarities between kiwis and americans you suggest , america is known for its complaints culture , you point out a shortcoming in service if you see it , in new zealand the one providing the service doesnt want to know about it full stop from reporting workplace bullying to a boss to complaining about inadequate accomodation to a landlord , ive met plenty of people ( irish and other ) who had the same view so dont assume yours is the definitive experience , witness the reaction last november post the ireland - all blacks match when they nearly crippled a few of our lads , the kiwi press were incensed we dare to call them on it , was the same when BOD was nearly put in a wheelchair by umaga and that other guy

Last edited by irish_bob on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am 
Neo Landlord

shanieboy01 wrote:
Rubbish. People complain just as much. Short term migrants arent listened to. Thats not unique to nz though. You would have been put into the whinging pom category

tinneym wrote:
irish_bob wrote:

typical " i dont want to know about it " kiwi attitude

incredibly smug nation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 am 
Nationalised

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017 ... using-plan

Quote:
New Zealand-based economist Shamubeel Eaqub says, while the debate continues in Australia, accessing super for housing is something New Zealanders have been able to do for years.

"It's been going for about five years, and you can essentially draw down in your superannuation account in New Zealand, it's called KiwiSaver and you can use that towards your deposit," he said.

Mr Euqub says the average amount withdrawn has grown to about NZ$19,000, which is about 4 per cent of the median house price, with about 25,000 people using the scheme per year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am 
IMF'd

irish_bob wrote:
Did it ever cross your mind that you just might have been a whinging pom? Each culture has its own way of complaining and in general what works in one country does not work in another. Dont have a large enough sample of dealing with kiwis but the ones I have dealt with strike me as basically a toned down version of Ozies in attitudes and approach. A bit like Canadians and Americans. A less hard-edged version but still basically the same. Well with all the Ozies and Americans I have know, quiet a lot of both, they both have a very up front culture of complaint. With Canadians and Kiwis it a lot less confrontational but it is still very much there. The Irish (and to a lesser extent the British) dont have a culture of complaint. Incessant moaning and whinging yes. Complaint no. For fecks sake, the best rated non news program on RTE Radio 1 is the Daily Moan a.k.a The Joe Duffy Show. A moan-fest from beginning to end. Every day.

The difference between whinging and complaining is that a complaint not only contains the perceived problem but a solution to fix it. So instead of moaning to all and sundry at the table (and afterwards) - this steak taste like shit - and doing nothing about it but get annoyed and simmer. A complaint would be "waiter - this steak does nt take quite right - would you bring me something else. Or take it off the check..etc. ". The reason why people who come from moaning cultures like the UK and Ireland get such a bad reputation in Oz and the US is precisely because they just dont know how to complaint in a constructive manner. With constructive being the key word here.

It sounds like you never made the transition to a very different culture. Just because they speak the same language does not mean they will think in exactly the same as what you grew up with. Your description of NZ bears not the slightest resembles to what I have heard from other people who have lived there. People not only from the UK, but the US, Canada and even France. Me, I never had any problem with the up front Complaint Culture of Americans , Australians and South Africans. To name but three. A real breath of fresh air after all the suppressed aggression of the moaning culture I grew up in. If the complaint does not contain the solution to the problem then its just a moan. And will be treated accordingly. Which may come as a bit of a shock to those not familiar with this culture.

Thank you, that's a useful post re US culture (though it does vary by location in the US, I think, as I've found some fellow whingers :)).

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 am 
Too Big to Fail

irish_bob wrote:

as for the absurd similarities between kiwis and americans you suggest , america is known for its complaints culture , you point out a shortcoming in service if you see it , in new zealand the one providing the service doesnt want to know about it full stop from reporting workplace bullying to a boss to complaining about inadequate accomodation to a landlord , ive met plenty of people ( irish and other ) who had the same view so dont assume yours is the definitive experience , witness the reaction last november post the ireland - all blacks match when they nearly crippled a few of our lads , the kiwi press were incensed we dare to call them on it , was the same when BOD was nearly put in a wheelchair by umaga and that other guy

Eh? I said the Kiwi's were more like Ozies, not Americans. Ozies have certain traits in common with Americans, ie more like Yanks than Brits, but still very different. The kiwis, in my experience, tend to have more of those awkward Brit traits that tend to rub foreigners up the wrong way. More so that Australians. I've known more than enough Ozies and Kiwis over the years to tell the two apart pretty quickly by body language not just accent. Just like with Canadians and Americans. So its interesting to see how much of it is just the normal range of personalities and how much of it is home country cultural traits. One thing to bear in mind is that when Brits emigrate to that part of the world there seems to be a bit of class segregation. The Daily Mail middle class types tend more towards NZ it seems. The rest more towards Oz. Might account for some of the differences I've noticed over the years. In my experience you are more likely to run into a prickly personality with a kiwi than an Ozie. And when you do its best to deal with them as you would with an equivalent Brit.

Based on your post it sounds like you're somewhere you just dont fit in. Nothing unusual there. I've heard the same kind of complaints in every country I know from expats from all corners of the world. Some places work for people, some places dont. Sometime it just a matter of learning the ropes, getting familiar with the unfamiliar over a period of time. Sometime its just a complete mismatch of personality and culture. If you are so miserable in NZ why not just bail and find somewhere more amenable. Lots of nice places all over the world. Life's too short to waste it somewhere you're not happy and comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm 
Neo Landlord

jmc wrote:
irish_bob wrote:

Eh? I said the Kiwi's were more like Ozies, not Americans. Ozies have certain traits in common with Americans, ie more like Yanks than Brits, but still very different. The kiwis, in my experience, tend to have more of those awkward Brit traits that tend to rub foreigners up the wrong way. More so that Australians. I've known more than enough Ozies and Kiwis over the years to tell the two apart pretty quickly by body language not just accent. Just like with Canadians and Americans. So its interesting to see how much of it is just the normal range of personalities and how much of it is home country cultural traits. One thing to bear in mind is that when Brits emigrate to that part of the world there seems to be a bit of class segregation. The Daily Mail middle class types tend more towards NZ it seems. The rest more towards Oz. Might account for some of the differences I've noticed over the years. In my experience you are more likely to run into a prickly personality with a kiwi than an Ozie. And when you do its best to deal with them as you would with an equivalent Brit.

Based on your post it sounds like you're somewhere you just dont fit in. Nothing unusual there. I've heard the same kind of complaints in every country I know from expats from all corners of the world. Some places work for people, some places dont. Sometime it just a matter of learning the ropes, getting familiar with the unfamiliar over a period of time. Sometime its just a complete mismatch of personality and culture. If you are so miserable in NZ why not just bail and find somewhere more amenable. Lots of nice places all over the world. Life's too short to waste it somewhere you're not happy and comfortable.

thanks for the psychological assesment doctor , hope the bill isnt too high or maybe you do it for free , sounds like you enjoy it

havent lived in new zealand in more than a decade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 pm 
Neo Landlord

Total agree. Bob u obviously didnt integrate correctly. My crowd love to complain but i think they are glad they only have 1 irish lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22