Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irish Times admit Canny was suckered in foreign property
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Leave it out lads - he might read the PIN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
I could forgive it all but the jumper... Mind you, I had a pair of dockers that got a splash of bleach on them about one week after I bought them and still resolutely wear them from time to time, could have been a similar situation! But a photocall?!? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:33 am 
Holiday Home Owner

http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?Region=NYC&ListingID=1084569

(Great site for browsing NYC property BTW, and many times I have looked over Tony Montana mansions in Miami!)

They list the monthly payments as such:
Code:
Mortgage Amount: $702,000.00
Down Payment : $78,000.00
Mortgage Payment: $4,437.00 per month 
Total Monthly Payment: $5,098.00 (with maintenance & taxes)

Property tax is $663/month. That is with 10% down.

Here are the current rents for 13 studios in the Financial District:
http://www.corcoran.com/property/search.aspx?Region=NYC&RentSale=RU

So at best he could get $3k/month. That's a big shortfall of ~€1400/month = a lot per year!

With such a big downturn now, this is a very different situation to paying up €400/month for a flat in Sunny Beach, which won't sell or rent (or hopefully fall over). I don't know a lot of people that could cover the guts of €30k/year of gross earnings to support a rented flat in the US for 30 years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:53 am 
Old Time Landlord

Ah jesus love him, they're chatting about him here too: http://www.streeteasy.com/nyc/talk/discussion/4116-manhattan-rents-are-going-to-fall - I'm mortified for the poor bugger :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:52 am 
Under CAB Investigation

oh man. The poor guy prolly thought that NY was like Dawson St, where the stockbrokers would head next door to Cafe Insane or Ron Blacks to wind down after making a killing or two in the sales pits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 am 
Single Home Owner

Maybe it was an xmas gift!

:x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:03 am 
Speculator

Quote:
Ah jesus love him, they're chatting about him here too: http://www.streeteasy.com/nyc/talk/disc ... ng-to-fall - I'm mortified for the poor bugger

He could be the next star wars kid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 am 
Of Systemic Importance

As suggested earlier the american investment was perhaps less risky than a similar BTL in Ireland.

Keys back to bank.

Cheerio.!!!!! Would it almost certainly be financed by a us bank?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:44 am 
Speculator

Thought you might like an update on the orange-jumpered one and his $760,000 Manhattan studio.

The first resales and rentals of this newly-completed building have hit the market. It's hard to get exact comparables but a same sized 550sq ft studio on a similar high floor is selling for $660,000. After buying and selling closing costs, 6% broker fee, property transfer taxes and carrying costs, I reckon Kenny would be out about $180,000 if he had to sell today.

As far a rent goes, an Irish Times article said he was told he should get $3,500-$4,000 a month for it. Well guess what there is a colossal glut of new construction in the financial district and rent was never going to be anywhere near that amount. Here is a similar unit in the same building for rent at $2,300 a month. From this you have to deduct $660 monthly common charge and 10% managing agent fee leaving you with about $1,400 a month net to cover your $3,000+ interest only mortgage, presuming you can even rent it.

What pisses me off is that the IT article was only written in April yet it couldn't be more bullish and makes out like the guy is on to a sure thing!!

So he's in the unenviable position of taking a six-figure hit now or trying to wait for a recovery while sinking another $1,600+ every month in to the apartment. Savvy indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:06 am 
Nationalised

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 am 
Old Time Landlord

why was my post deleted?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 am 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Partizan wrote:
why was my post deleted?

Glee. And have a yellow card for your troubles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:36 pm 
Too Big to Fail

two_scoops wrote:
Thought you might like an update on the orange-jumpered one and his $760,000 Manhattan studio.

The first resales and rentals of this newly-completed building have hit the market. It's hard to get exact comparables but a same sized 550sq ft studio on a similar high floor is selling for $660,000. After buying and selling closing costs, 6% broker fee, property transfer taxes and carrying costs, I reckon Kenny would be out about $180,000 if he had to sell today.

As far a rent goes, an Irish Times article said he was told he should get $3,500-$4,000 a month for it. Well guess what there is a colossal glut of new construction in the financial district and rent was never going to be anywhere near that amount. Here is a similar unit in the same building for rent at $2,300 a month. From this you have to deduct $660 monthly common charge and 10% managing agent fee leaving you with about $1,400 a month net to cover your $3,000+ interest only mortgage, presuming you can even rent it.

What pisses me off is that the IT article was only written in April yet it couldn't be more bullish and makes out like the guy is on to a sure thing!!

So he's in the unenviable position of taking a six-figure hit now or trying to wait for a recovery while sinking another $1,600+ every month in to the apartment. Savvy indeed.

Wonder what 2gaffs would make of this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Pill wrote:
Wonder what 2gaffs would make of this.

he would say: consolodate all mortgages on rental properties on a 100% interest only mortgage and put the rent into a high yielding 8% geared fund.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

two_scoops wrote:

It's America, so he can probably just walk away and let the banks foreclose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next