Board index » Global Property Bubbles » International Property Bubbles

Post subject: Re: Poland avoided property bubble
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:19 pm 
Nationalised

obese_cat wrote:
Bought a car from a Polish lad three years ago. We had a big discussion on the Irish economy, which he claimed to have learned a lot from. Then he spoke of the apartments he had bought in Poland, and I asked him if he was sure he had learned anything?

His reply was 'Poland is different'.

I know I shoudln't but man that made me laugh. :oops:

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:18 am 
Too Big to Fail

Interesting in so many ways.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Poland short of workers after exodus to Britain and Germany
https://news.sky.com/story/poland-short ... y-11351969

Quote:
"We're short on practically all workers - masons, carpenters, concrete mixers, plasterers, pavers, drivers, machine operators. Too few foremen and engineers, too."

Poland is interesting country to watch now. Big potential for growth(imho at least).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Poland#Since_the_2009_financial_crisis

Quote:
Another factor which allowed the Polish economy to avoid the financial crisis was its low level of public debt, at about 50% of GDP, below the EU average (around 90%). Strict financial regulation also helped to keep household and corporate debt low. Furthermore, unlike many other European countries, Poland did not implement austerity but rather boosted domestic demand through Keynesian policy of tax cut, and foreign-assistance funded public spending. An additional reason for its success lay in the fact that Poland is outside the Euro zone. The depreciation of the currency, the złoty, increased international competitiveness and boosted the value of Poland's exports (in złotys).

Quote:
As of October 2017, Poland's unemployment rate stood at 4.6% according to Eurostat.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Shortage is not only because of emigration. The economy is booming and there are a lot of jobs.
3 mln more working people since we've joined EU:

There is shortage of is quality job seekers. It looks bit like Ireland pre bust. Except, here Ukrainians are main immigrant group like Poles in Ireland back then. Huge influx of low skilled workers help to keep costs very low, however skilled migrants are choosing different countries due to better salaries.
Poland is still one of the cheapest places in EU. Big chunk of the recent success is due to strong growth of Germany. A lot of subcontracting is happening in Poland for automotive market.

I guess part of govt actions are to fuel spending by introduction of 500+ which is something alike child benefit in Ireland (500PLN/month for each kid for poor people and starting from second child for other families). Minimum wage will like go up again next January.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm 
Nationalised

Thanks mz. What's the situation for Ukrainian immigrants there? Is there a visa system? Does it grant long term right of residency or temporary work permit etc.?

Board index » Global Property Bubbles » International Property Bubbles