Board index » Global Property Bubbles » International Property Bubbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: May 20, 2014
Posts: 702
Location: Location Location
It looks like London is in for a 'soft landing'....
Quote:
But the property specialists say the pause will be only temporary – and that growth will restart in 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/n ... 15-savills


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee
User avatar

Joined: Jul 4, 2012
Posts: 1363
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... 50000.html

Quote:
Britain's most expensive garage sold for £550,000


Image

_________________
A housing boom is the economic equivalent of a tapeworm infection Tim Harford

"Those who yearn for the end of capitalism should pray for government by men who believe that all positive action is inimical to what they call thoughtfully the fundamental principles of free enterprise." - JK Galbraith


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 am 
Offline
Property Magnate

Joined: Sep 8, 2009
Posts: 509
Location: North Dublin
At the top end of residential in London, a lot of the buyers are from oil and gas producing countries (Russia, Middle East). With the oil price fall, these buyers should be pulling in their horns.

Anyone seen analysis to bear this out?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:00 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Apr 2, 2007
Posts: 239
The following map in the Evening Standard shows how the green belt around London has restricted the physical growth of the city. This has been in existence since the 1930's when it was decided to protect the countryside near London from becoming a huge urban sprawl.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/green-belt-land-isnt-sacrosanct-we-need-to-build-homes-on-it-9912463.html

The population of London is growing by about 150,000pa but there are no greenfield sites on which to build new houses/flats to house all of these people. Most new properties have to be built on brown field sites. Very often this will mean buying a site with buildings (commercial or houses) already on it, demolishing them and building high rise flats that can support a higher density population. All of this is expensive and hence the number of new homes being built are nowhere near what is required. On top of this, many of the new flats that are being built, even in the outer suburbs, are being bought up off-plan by overseas investors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:33 pm 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: 3518
Location: Bogtrotterland!
There is still a lot of "brown" land within London that can be redeveloped into decent flats, much of inner London is suburban sprawl from the end of the 19th century. Much of this housing is of poor quality and low density, just needs a radical solution to level it and replace with modern flats. There is no need to expand outwards when you have plenty of underutilised land already in areas with good transport links.

_________________
"Democracy is like sausage, you want it, but you don't want to know how it is made". [John Godfrey Saxe]
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:55 pm 
Offline
Back Home with Mammy

Joined: Oct 2, 2013
Posts: 52
Never realised there was a planned green belt around London - great idea.

The panic to build on it doesn't really stack up when you look at the figures from around the world, also makes the Dublin sprawl look pretty pointless! It would mean that some of the single story buildings in the city centre may need to be re-used, but properly planned it would rejuvenate many areas.

London population = 8,414,535, density per sq km = 13,870
Paris population = 2,234,105, density per sq km = 21,196
Dublin (city) population = 527,612 , density per sq km = 4,588
Manila population = 1,652,171, density per sq km = 42,857
All info from wiki.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:49 pm 
Offline
Neo Landlord

Joined: Apr 2, 2007
Posts: 239
dolanbaker wrote:
There is still a lot of "brown" land within London that can be redeveloped into decent flats, much of inner London is suburban sprawl from the end of the 19th century. Much of this housing is of poor quality and low density, just needs a radical solution to level it and replace with modern flats. There is no need to expand outwards when you have plenty of underutilised land already in areas with good transport links.


Developers have already bought up the cheaper old industrial land that was available and are building flats, for example, Battersea Power station, Nine Elms, the Isle of Dogs, pubs, and petrol filling stations. They have started knocking down large DIY stores and supermarkets now too. Many of the flats are being bought by Far Eastern investors who price ordinary working Londoners out.

Much of the "inner London suburban sprawl" of 19th century that you refer to is made up of very expensive real estate. It would be prohibitively expensive to buy it up to knock down and build flats. For example, small 3 bedroomed terraced 19th century houses in places like Cricklewood are now going for £750,000 to £800,000 and these only occupy a small footprint because they have very small gardens so several of these would have to be bought in order to build a block of flats.

Also, local borough councils in London are very strict when it comes to granting planning permission and many have height restrictions which would make it uneconomical to build because many projects are only viable if they can build high enough to fit in a large number of flats on the site. Sometime it can take several years to obtain planning permission to do something which looks reasonably straight forward to the casual observer. For example, I am aware of a situation where it took about 4 years to obtain planning permission to demolish a pub in order to build a 3 storey block of flats. The pub was of no historical significance either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: 3518
Location: Bogtrotterland!
Mikey wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
There is still a lot of "brown" land within London that can be redeveloped into decent flats, much of inner London is suburban sprawl from the end of the 19th century. Much of this housing is of poor quality and low density, just needs a radical solution to level it and replace with modern flats. There is no need to expand outwards when you have plenty of underutilised land already in areas with good transport links.


Developers have already bought up the cheaper old industrial land that was available and are building flats, for example, Battersea Power station, Nine Elms, the Isle of Dogs, pubs, and petrol filling stations. They have started knocking down large DIY stores and supermarkets now too. Many of the flats are being bought by Far Eastern investors who price ordinary working Londoners out.

Much of the "inner London suburban sprawl" of 19th century that you refer to is made up of very expensive real estate. It would be prohibitively expensive to buy it up to knock down and build flats. For example, small 3 bedroomed terraced 19th century houses in places like Cricklewood are now going for £750,000 to £800,000 and these only occupy a small footprint because they have very small gardens so several of these would have to be bought in order to build a block of flats.

Also, local borough councils in London are very strict when it comes to granting planning permission and many have height restrictions which would make it uneconomical to build because many projects are only viable if they can build high enough to fit in a large number of flats on the site. Sometime it can take several years to obtain planning permission to do something which looks reasonably straight forward to the casual observer. For example, I am aware of a situation where it took about 4 years to obtain planning permission to demolish a pub in order to build a 3 storey block of flats. The pub was of no historical significance either.


It appears that owners want it to stay that way. That's why I said that it would need a radical approach. Much of London property is no longer for owner occupiers, I'm surprised that people still think that they can buy to live in London.

Barring excessively high council taxes on low density housing in the inner city areas that need higher density, the situation won't change.

_________________
"Democracy is like sausage, you want it, but you don't want to know how it is made". [John Godfrey Saxe]
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 pm 
Offline
Of Systemic Importance

Joined: Sep 13, 2012
Posts: 5194
Russians Quit London Luxury Homes as Only Super-Rich Stay
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-1 ... -stay.html

_________________
"It's easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour"
Tyrion Lannister


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 pm 
Offline
Homeless

Joined: Jun 5, 2014
Posts: 5
as predicted a year ago..

Central London house prices fall 'by up to 22%'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33086002


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm 
Offline
Private Tenant

Joined: Dec 9, 2014
Posts: 31
^^I wonder if we will be reading the same thing in the Irish Newspapers a year from now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm 
Offline
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Joined: Apr 3, 2015
Posts: 1106
Lola14 wrote:
^^I wonder if we will be reading the same thing in the Irish Newspapers a year from now.


More likely to read "22% Fall in Dublin Property Prices ONLY A BLIP (Get In Now With The Smart Money)"

8DD 8-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
Under CAB Investigation
User avatar

Joined: Feb 21, 2012
Posts: 2195
Location: South Dublin
Chevalier wrote:
Never realised there was a planned green belt around London - great idea.

The panic to build on it doesn't really stack up when you look at the figures from around the world, also makes the Dublin sprawl look pretty pointless! It would mean that some of the single story buildings in the city centre may need to be re-used, but properly planned it would rejuvenate many areas.

London population = 8,414,535, density per sq km = 13,870
Paris population = 2,234,105, density per sq km = 21,196
Dublin (city) population = 527,612 , density per sq km = 4,588
Manila population = 1,652,171, density per sq km = 42,857
All info from wiki.

:roll: *sighs*
Dublin City is such a travesty in so many ways.

_________________
Dublin's Great Estates Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 am 
Offline
Nationalised
User avatar

Joined: Jul 26, 2009
Posts: 14892
With Generation Rent comes Generation Landlord. It is the fastest growing type of self employment job in the UK. - -> https://twitter.com/RBS_Economics/statu ... 7457478656

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: London has popped ,
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:55 am 
Offline
Too Big to Fail

Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Posts: 3518
Location: Bogtrotterland!
Joiners! Is there a boom in decking or something?

_________________
"Democracy is like sausage, you want it, but you don't want to know how it is made". [John Godfrey Saxe]
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

    Board index » Global Property Bubbles » International Property Bubbles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  

Follow, Retweet @dailypinster



Pyramid Built, Is Better Built! - Latest Property Discussions www.thepropertypin.com