Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: North Docklands - On the Rise !
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:33 pm 
First Time Buyer

Belview wrote:
C.I.E. to Develope area around Connolly Station

That same year, CIE hired Lisney to find a partner to develop a 22-storey office block behind Tara Street train station in Dublin.
CIE had indicated that it was prepared to either grant a 300-year ground lease or take 10pc of the annual rental income from the proposed building.

Developer Johnny Ronan won the contract, and has teamed up with Cardinal Capital to build the office project, which will be known as the Aqua Vetro Tower. It's set to be Dubln's tallest building.

No its not, DCC have blocked this as its too tall and would upset the Georgian fetishists, despite being across from Liberty hall and within spitting distance of the shittycon docks.
location here:
https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3480726, ... !1e3?hl=en

Apparently the students in Trinners might see this and be reminded they aren't in a timewarp back to 1790s.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-co ... 3-Jul2017/

Quote:
The proposal would be reason of visual intrusion, have a significant and detrimental visual impact on a number of important views and vistas in the city including from College Green and the Trinity College Campus.

So no you can't build high density on top of a major transport hub contrary to what's in your own meaningless development plan.

One excellent comment:
Quote:
That’s never going to happen because they draw votes from the welfare dependents in the inner city. We must abolish DCC. We’ve done it before, in 1924 they were abolished and replaced by a three man panel answerable to cabinet.

DCC are 500 Mn in Debt, which minister can I write to to get them liquidated?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:13 pm 
Neo Landlord

The citizens of Dublin need to be saved from the blight of high rise buildings . There is something deficient in Dubliners compared to the citizens of hundreds of other large cities spread around the globe who appear well able to get on with their daily lives despite being surrounded by high rise buildings. But the DCC planners know best , so we will just keep building low rise and continue to widen the footprint of the city which currently covers an area of approx 40 kms from north to south and 20 kms from the bay going westwards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Dublin 2050 - 50km long suburbs seems very real with huge amount of development in Wicklow.

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

A friend of mine is a conservation type. He cares deeply about architecture and the built environment. Most people - me included - don't really think about it all that much.

He basically hates anything built in the last hundred years.

My guess is that people like him are disproportionately found as planners in DCC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Skippy 3 wrote:
A friend of mine is a conservation type. He cares deeply about architecture and the built environment. Most people - me included - don't really think about it all that much.

I think about it quite a lot and I think that Johnny Ronan's plan is for a bland, bulky building in the wrong place, but I also think that Dublin could easily survive and maybe even benefit from having more tall buildings in the right places. The docklands developments, particularly the north Liffey/Spencer Dock area and also the old CIE estate in Inchicore were missed opportunities. One can understand the relatively low elevation around Grand Canal Dock and out towards Beggar's Bush, since it was the first big, recent urban redevelopment of a derelict area in central Dublin and ambitions were bound to be more modest at the time, but when it came to the whole Tiger era boom on the opposite side of the Liffey and out to East Point, on an equally cleanable slate, they really dropped a clanger. The same is true of the south river front from the Samuel Beckett bridge out towards the Eastlink and beyond.

Skippy 3 wrote:
He basically hates anything built in the last hundred years.

He has a point. :lol:
Most buildings from 1920 to 1990 look shit (imo). :( Most buildings post 1990 are just bland, but at least they're not expected to last very long, so it probably doesn't matter quite so much. :wink:

Skippy 3 wrote:
My guess is that people like him are disproportionately found as planners in DCC.

Disclosure: I am not a DCC planner. :wink:

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6