Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Neo Landlord

The big advantage of a Coop is that it is essentially a syndicate to buy a piece of development land, and it allows you to take out the developers profit.

There will be bargains on the development land market by 2010.

There is scope for a lot of ground work in the meantime. Obviously working to a passive standard makes sense.

A small parcel of say ten acres of development land would be ideal for a syndicate/ coop of say 50 members.

Optimising the site layout would be important and getting a single contractor to service the sites is the key issue.

The grounds works contractor needs to be well bonded.

A Coop might be structured to sell 25% of its site of members who were not in on the ground floor and thus allow initial coop members to cover the cost of servicing their site from a premium charged to later joining members.

Deposits would not be required as the land can be acquired on the licence system saving stamp duty.

Any one interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 pm 
Nationalised

McAlpine's Fusileer wrote:
The big advantage of a Coop is that it is essentially a syndicate to buy a piece of development land, and it allows you to take out the developers profit.

There will be bargains on the development land market by 2010.

There is scope for a lot of ground work in the meantime. Obviously working to a passive standard makes sense.

A small parcel of say ten acres of development land would be ideal for a syndicate/ coop of say 50 members.

Optimising the site layout would be important and getting a single contractor to service the sites is the key issue.

The grounds works contractor needs to be well bonded.

A Coop might be structured to sell 25% of its site of members who were not in on the ground floor and thus allow initial coop members to cover the cost of servicing their site from a premium charged to later joining members.

Deposits would not be required as the land can be acquired on the licence system saving stamp duty.

Any one interested?

Its why I started the thread!

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

What is the license system?

Post subject: Re: Housing & Building Co-OPs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:48 am 
Single Home Owner

The big question is organising matters in such a way that a) there is an adequate level of trust among members to enter in to the scheme so that they feel safe in doing so and b) legal safeguards that ensure they are safe in doing so.

The fact that there's so little experience of it in this country would make me cagey about it in practice (though I think the idea is the way forward to build communities and ensure better housing design), and leave me looking at ways to engage existing friends/family members in similar setups.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 pm 
Neo Landlord

List ten locations where potential members would be interested in participating

"The more the banks retrenched, the more bad loans mounted - which in turn led to more bad debts, which led to more loans being called in as the banks faced bankruptcy". David McWilliams March 12th 2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

List ten locations where potential members would be interested in participating

I'd imagine the Greater Dublin region (Kildare,Louth, Meath, Wicklow, Dublin) would be popular.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:07 pm 
Private Tenant

In Ireland, it would be better to form a voluntary housing association (rather than a co-op) with a group of friends/associates and have the local authority subsidize you. Not only can you achieve the same economies of scale but the local authority will even chip in a huge amount on the cost side! I'm surprised more people don't do this. Saying that, there is an awful lot of organisation involved in such matters.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 pm 
Neo Landlord

Coops are a bad idea for detached houses.

one layer of stamp duty is enough to pay on land the rate is 9%

Better to have everyone owning their own individual site with the common areas held by tenancy in common.

At least then the security is in your own name

Anyone have a website that drawings can be loaded up to

I have lots of drawings in cad form

You would need an auto cad reader available for free

"The more the banks retrenched, the more bad loans mounted - which in turn led to more bad debts, which led to more loans being called in as the banks faced bankruptcy". David McWilliams March 12th 2006

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 am 
Nationalised

Coops are a bad idea for detached houses.

one layer of stamp duty is enough to pay on land the rate is 9%

Better to have everyone owning their own individual site with the common areas held by tenancy in common.

At least then the security is in your own name

Anyone have a website that drawings can be loaded up to

I have lots of drawings in cad form

You would need an auto cad reader available for free

Send them to me. I'll see if I can convert them.
I have done it before.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:46 pm 
Nationalised

Can groups of people go Coop to build a wind turbine?
How much do those things cost?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:17 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
Can groups of people go Coop to build a wind turbine?
How much do those things cost?

What size one do you have in mind ?

They require planning permission in many cases & in Ireland there is still no ability to connect to the ESB Grid to sell to them.

I think a 5KW turbine runs in the €20-30K range ( supply only )

"Mr Kelly said Ireland’s “reputational capital” had been damaged by “chancers” such as ex-Anglo Irish Bank chairman Seán FitzPatrick, who had been abetted by “buffoons” such as former financial regulator Patrick Neary, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Taoiseach." - Irish Times 13th Jan 2009

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:49 pm 
Neo Landlord

In Sweden, co-ops are used *both* for "renting" and "buying" appartments.
People who rent join a "bostadsförening" (a mutual company), and pay a monthly subscription (5 quid a month, normally).
Then after a few years, you're offered an appartment in an ok location.

Many people don't want to queue, so they buy an appartment. However, all appartments are cooperatively owned in a so-called "botstadsrätt". You actually own your appartment by being a shareholder in this mutual company. This way they are able to keep property mgmt fees way down, by having the members meet and decide on how much they will pay every year and who will do the maintanance work. Inevitably, the residents agree to do a lot of the work themselves, saving a lot of money.

Mutuals can buy development land at agricultural rates. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

jamesblonde wrote:

Does this mean that they can make a compulsory purchase of a piece of land that takes their fancy? Why would somebody sell the land to a mutual if they could get a better price from another source.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
- Cicero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:14 pm 
IMF'd

jamesblonde wrote:
In Sweden, co-ops are used *both* for "renting" and "buying" appartments.
People who rent join a "bostadsförening" (a mutual company), and pay a monthly subscription (5 quid a month, normally).
Then after a few years, you're offered an appartment in an ok location.

Many people don't want to queue, so they buy an appartment. However, all appartments are cooperatively owned in a so-called "botstadsrätt". You actually own your appartment by being a shareholder in this mutual company. This way they are able to keep property mgmt fees way down, by having the members meet and decide on how much they will pay every year and who will do the maintanance work. Inevitably, the residents agree to do a lot of the work themselves, saving a lot of money.

Mmm. A fair number of these ended up bailed out in a bad bank of their own last time:
http://www.venantius.se/pdf/arsredov_06_eng.pdf

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

This co-op
brilliant idea
but we don't need to actually build any more stuff.
maybe it could buy up a big apartment block