Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Emigration / Immigration Support
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am 
Property Magnate

Spinnaker wrote:
Labour shortage in Canada - government has raised allocation figures

Did you mention the Provincial Nominee Programs?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... /index.asp

This is one way of shortening the queue for entry. The rules vary with each province. In NL, skilled workers, graduates, entrepreneurs and family members can apply. You are not obliged to stay in a particular province. Obviously, the number of applicants for the provinces of Atlantic Canada is much smaller than for BC, Alberta and Ontario.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:54 pm 
Nationalised

More free phone calls
http://www.viber.com/

Smart phones needed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 pm 
Single Home Owner

Maybe useful for those who want to emigrate to Spain:

http://www.jobsinspain.ie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm 
Property Magnate

MrSteve wrote:

:shock: is there not near 20% unemployment in spain?

Last edited by irishaberdeen on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm 
Single Home Owner

irishaberdeen wrote:
MrSteve wrote:

:shock: is ther ento near 20% unemployment in spain?

Yeah but Spanish people don't like working. :)

/Half joking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Single - You are not half joking!
But - you are right!
Also - if you want to be really flustered and need solace that maybe things here at home are not quite so bad or could be even worse - try getting the simplest thing done anyway quick and well in Portugal by some locals!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am 
Under CAB Investigation

For those that might need a Garda Police Cert for emigrating (mostly USA, Canada, Oz & NZ):

Ye can find the proper form here - this is important cos most Guards apparently don't know about or don't have copies of this available especially in small stations. Just print it out and fill it in, along with a photocopy of birth cert & passport & something to show why you want it (I used the New Zealand job offer letter). I also included a photocopy of me old driving licence showing the Galway address which technically wasn't needed, but thought it might make them more well-disposed, having some proof I actually lived where I said I did and all.

If you can, go straight to the HQ of the Garda District in which you lived, or in which you lived longest as this speeds things up, it's the District HQ that actually process the form and fill in the Cert.

Oh, and a stamped addressed envelope too to get the Cert back in.

Simples! I handed mine in to Mill St Galway on the Wednesday, and received it in the post in Derry on the Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am 
Nationalised

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... xpatriate/

Quote:
China and Thailand are the two best countries to be an expatriate, according to a recent study by British bank HSBC that looked at economic opportunities and quality of life for expats in 34 countries. They're followed by small, rich countries known for their globalized business classes. In descending order, they are: Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, Bahrain and Singapore.

The worst of these 34 countries to be an expat is Egypt, which has seen xenophobia rise considerably since this summer's military coup and wave of populist nationalism. Also at the bottom of the list is much of Western Europe, which the report says is often too expensive for expats. In descending order: France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy and second-to-last is Ireland.

More info in the link

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am 
Nationalised

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
More free phone calls
http://www.viber.com/

Smart phones needed

I`d now highly recommend the Voxer app - if you are on android (iphones can have issues). I much prefer it to viber and whatsapp

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lvox.voxer
http://voxer.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:31 am 
Real Estate Developer

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/11/05/want-to-move-abroad-this-map-shows-the-best-and-worst-countries-to-be-an-expatriate/

Quote:
China and Thailand are the two best countries to be an expatriate, according to a recent study by British bank HSBC that looked at economic opportunities and quality of life for expats in 34 countries. They're followed by small, rich countries known for their globalized business classes. In descending order, they are: Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, Bahrain and Singapore.

The worst of these 34 countries to be an expat is Egypt, which has seen xenophobia rise considerably since this summer's military coup and wave of populist nationalism. Also at the bottom of the list is much of Western Europe, which the report says is often too expensive for expats. In descending order: France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy and second-to-last is Ireland.

More info in the link

The HSBC expat survey has been updated http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201311 ... -from-home

Bottom of the list this time: Ireland!
Quote:
FINANCIALS: Still struggling to pull itself out of recession it is perhaps no wonder Ireland ranked near the bottom for financial rewards for foreigners. Expats reported having very little disposable income in their pockets versus their counterparts in other countries.

SOCIAL STYLE: The Emerald Isle also failed to charm its foreign workers. It ranked low in the HSBC survey in this section with about half saying ‘their social life worsened since moving abroad.’ Although it fared considerably better in the OECD’s Better Life Index, coming in the top half of more than 30 countries evaluated.

FAMILY LIFE: HSBC ranked Ireland at the very bottom for raising a family: expats rated the quality of childcare as poor, as well as expensive. Worryingly, parents also described the health and wellbeing of their children as low.

TOP TIP: People in Ireland are generally quite friendly and helpful, so making the move without having every detail planned won’t be too challenging.

I went looking for this list and think this is it: https://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/

There are more countries on the survey than 24, and Ireland is actually 25 of 34 - Egypt is last again. So somewhat confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 am 
Too Big to Fail

I wonder how the UK would fair if London was judged on its own. I went to Manchester recently on a reconnoiter and found it very attractive compared to London.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am 
Too Big to Fail

I wonder how they measure quality of life. :?

The climate alone will make most of Africa, the interior of South America, much of North America, eastern Europe and western/central Asia uninhabitable.

The UAE a better place to live than New Zealand? I think not, unless your interests don't extend further than sand and shopping.
Russia better than France or the Netherlands? :shock:
They're taking the piss.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:05 pm 
Nationalised

Madness of Crowds wrote:
Russia better than France or the Netherlands? :shock:
They're taking the piss.

Well in fairness, there are more commies in France.

:-GC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:16 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

As someone who has lived abroad as an expat, and who also had to manage expats locating to Ireland I can cofirm the findings of the survey.

Here is what they say, and I see:

Crap Weather
Expensive
Massive Tax at very low levels of income
Shit schools, and I mean the private ones, hopeless shoddy and inadequate compared to what is on offer elsewhere, with a terrible curriculum
Poor healthcare system, average private system
Hostile bureaucratic government
Superficial friendliness from paddy in the pub,lead to nothing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

These surveys can give a false impression. I'm in Perth which has come in the top ten in the economists 'liveability' index often yet that liveability is extremely car dependent. Some city suburbs are inaccessible without a car and a lot have limited services. Another metric is availability of goods, Irish food is far superior to the nutrient deficient fruit and veg available here.

Then there's the constant skin cancer treat, it's very common for colleagues my age to have post-op facial bandages in work.

And then there's the shark threat, even the local tourism chief says he won't swim in the ocean because of it! And then there's the wild life on shore!

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next