Post subject: Would it be better overall for house prices to rise or fall?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 am 
Single Home Owner

For the good of Ireland as a whole should house prices rise or fall?

Post subject: Re: Would it be better overall for house prices to rise or f
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:32 am 
Nationalised

Fall.

Primarily because cheaper housing allows salaries to be lower whilst still maintaining the same standard of living.
The side effect being better competitiveness and more jobs.

It also means those who still have to buy can do so without drowning in debt.
Rising prices don't make the debt any easier for those who have already bought.

There are a million other reasons why lower is better e.g. less stretched banks etc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 am 
Single Home Owner

In a global economy, Fall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 am 
Neo Landlord

The lower the better. I agree with Mr A: the benefits from a lower cost base in the economy are much greater than loss of value to property owners.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Rise, as big tide raises all boats and looking at naked swimmers is not so nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:50 am 
Too Big to Fail

September wrote:
Rise, as big tide raises all boats and looking at naked swimmers is not so nice.

Sorry but I'm not going to bankrupt myself so that you can avoid looking at swimming nudes. Avoiding unpalatable sites is your own responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:53 am 
Too Big to Fail

Fall.

Madness is rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule — Friedrich Nietzsche

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 am 
Old Time Landlord

tear that plaster off and get it over and done with

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:29 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Calina wrote:
September wrote:

Sorry but I'm not going to bankrupt myself so that you can avoid looking at swimming nudes. Avoiding unpalatable sites is your own responsibility.

How would that make you bankrupt? Rising property prices would surely be result of lower unemployment, strong wage inflation and unprecedented boost in productivity. If only reckless lending practices are restricted by then, we should be OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:59 am 
Too Big to Fail

September wrote:
Calina wrote:
September wrote:

How would that make you bankrupt? Rising property prices would surely be result of lower unemployment, strong wage inflation and unprecedented boost in productivity. If only reckless lending practices are restricted by then, we should be OK.

There's is nothing wrong with rising house prices in an economy where the fundamentals are sound. The problem is, they are not.

Madness is rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule — Friedrich Nietzsche

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Fall.

For long enough the value inherent in our land has accrued overwhelmingly (disproportionally) in the hands of land owners, party-loyal speculators and developers, their associates, middle men, lawyers, other professionals, the bankers (usurious interest in this case), politicians...

This state of affairs has vastly increased inequality in our society and ensured that those lower on the socio-economic scale have had to indenture themselves to live - to pay exorbitant rents to cover their housing, eating out, the business services they require, the list goes on and on...

I can't think of anything else in economic terms that is more constraining on our peoples' natural productive inclinations, their creativity and joi de vivre. At least of those in the socio-economic class who do not benefit (disproportionally) from the rents and interest raised on Irish land.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 pm 
Nationalised

It would have been better if the Banks where allowed fail but the depositors protected fully. Then "house prices" could have managed themselves and things right now would be a whole lot better.

Most likely we'd have a new government in office making some progress routing out the effects of 15 years of Fianna fail regression. Anglo woudl have imploded and we would be 20+ billion better off. NAMA itself would never have seen the light of day gotten off the ground and perhaps less people would have emigrated.

Our national debt woudl not have double or tripled. Ireland would be in a super position to finance various projects of vision that woudl redress the regression legacy of the criminal gang Fianna Fail.

Fianna fail are aggressive regressive and oppressive.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

There is no good answer really . We need them to fall for the economy to become compeditive again and we need them to rise because so many people overborrowed and owe very big money to the banks . As the banks are already insolvent , this is not good news for a country which is determined to bail out the banks at all costs .

It seems crazy to me for people to be calling a bottom on the market every 5 minutes like its the stock market . Ireland has massive national debt and growing by the second . 100,000 people are predicted to emigrate next year . Unemployment is at 14 % or if you were to measure it correctly it could be around 20 % . The whole of Europe is in a debt crisis which will take years to get out of . There is no plan for job creation and almost 2 years on from the Irish banking crisis banks are still broken and dysfunctional . Anglo which is really the DOF is refusing to cooperate with the regulator ( how does that work ? )

We have a government which nobody wants and actually believes is incompetent and we have an opposition which dispite the greatest economic collapse has completly failed to make hay out of a God given opportunity .

There is massive personal debt after a credit binge of epic proportions which has been put on the long finger which nobody is addressing in any meaningful way . It could be the final nail in the coffin of the banks .

Etc , etc , etc

Really could it be any worse ? What else could go wrong ? How can people seriously talk about house prices rising ? Even if everything else was ok there is massive over supply which wil take years to work through the market .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:33 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Ether the quality of Irish housing along with the supporting infrastructure and worker productivity needs to increase so that current prices are sustainable or house prices need to fall.

If anyone has a plan for the first option I'm definitely all for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Jaysus, why y'all gravedigging crap topics...