Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Work in the Future..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

CrossChris wrote:
I can't tell you all how disappointed I am with this thread. No posts by Doc Brown and not even a mention of time travel! Now back to my Futurama boxed set ...... :roll:

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:
boomshackala wrote:
When the first europeans got to America, they couldn't get over the amount of leisure time the natives were allowing themselves. this was a stone age culture. technology?

Life expectancy was around 35-40 afaik
similar to over here at the time, maybe a little lower
penicillin changed all that in the 1800s for us.
Sounds like stone age living with a triage tent is the way to go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 pm 
Too Big to Fail

boomshackala wrote:
catbear wrote:
boomshackala wrote:
When the first europeans got to America, they couldn't get over the amount of leisure time the natives were allowing themselves. this was a stone age culture. technology?

The antimicrobial effect of penicillium secretions was identified in 1928, penicillin first being isolated (though not its structure determined) in about 1940, if I recall correctly.

The large increase in life expectancy in the 19th century was largely due to improvments in water sanitation, an understanding of the germ theory of disease and hence, infection control, and more widespread vaccination.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Madness of Crowds wrote:
boomshackala wrote:
catbear wrote:
boomshackala wrote:

The antimicrobial effect of penicillium secretions was identified in 1928, penicillin first being isolated (though not its structure determined) in about 1940, if I recall correctly.

The large increase in life expectancy in the 19th century was largely due to improvments in water sanitation, an understanding of the germ theory of disease and hence, infection control, and more widespread vaccination.

You're right, sorry I meant vaccination

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Madness of Crowds wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the only piece of modern technology to reduce workload and increase leisure time was the television.
Really? I'd expect more impact from:
washing machine (must save several hours per week in most households)
clothes dryer (at least a couple of hours saved wringing wet clothes)
dishwasher (20 minutes per day, maybe?)
electric iron (for a big load of laundry, should save 20 minutes)
vacuum cleaner (save maybe 10 minutes per cleaning session)
engine powered lawnmower (save 30 minutes per week in growing season)
hair dryer (save 5 minutes every day, maybe)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ex-Patrick wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the only piece of modern technology to reduce workload and increase leisure time was the television.

Nope. Because everything is easier now, you do it much more often, or at least that's what I'm told.

The hair drier is a good example. Back in ye good olde days, people simply didn't wash their hair every day. No hair dryer use, fewer towels to wash, less washing to put through the mangle...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Madness of Crowds wrote:
ex-Patrick wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

Nope. Because everything is easier now, you do it much more often, or at least that's what I'm told.

The hair drier is a good example. Back in ye good olde days, people simply didn't wash their hair every day. No hair dryer use, fewer towels to wash, less washing to put through the mangle...

Most clothes are washed after only a few minutes wear, whether they need it or not, I'm certain they would be worn for longer before going into the laundary if washing was done by hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:
ex-Patrick wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

Most clothes are washed after only a few minutes wear, whether they need it or not, I'm certain they would be worn for longer before going into the laundary if washing was done by hand.

Precisely. I'll see if I can find it, but somebody did a study to show that there is almost no need to wash jeans, since their bacterial load after a month was no higher than after three or four hours; something to do with the indigo dye, apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm 
Neo Landlord

You can wear jeans for three months...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 pm 
Too Big to Fail

NigelTuffnel wrote:

That's the one, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:38 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

If there is one item that has transformed the lives of women in the last 100 years, it is washing machines.

not withstanding the additional washing that goes on, point accepted on that

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Madness of Crowds wrote:
ex-Patrick wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

People could wash their hair as much as they did in ye good old days and use the hair dryer to reduce the time taken thus increasing their leisure time.
The fact that someone might now choose to wash their hair more often does not change the fact that modern technology has enabled them to do it quicker and have more leisure time.
I could chose to drive everywhere at 3mph and claim I only have as much leisure as the people in ye good old days had when they walked everywhere, or I could drive quicker and increase my leisure time. The technology is there, it's up to me decide how I want to use it.

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them" (G B Shaw)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Esselte wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:
ex-Patrick wrote:
Madness of Crowds wrote:

People could wash their hair as much as they did in ye good old days and use the hair dryer to reduce the time taken thus increasing their leisure time.
The fact that someone might now choose to wash their hair more often does not change the fact that modern technology has enabled them to do it quicker and have more leisure time.
I could chose to drive everywhere at 3mph and claim I only have as much leisure as the people in ye good old days had when they walked everywhere, or I could drive quicker and increase my leisure time. The technology is there, it's up to me decide how I want to use it.

True, you could, but in practice, that is not how the overwhelming majority of people have behaved.
Perhaps I should have phrased it as "the only piece of modern technology that has reduced workload and increased leisure time is the television". The emphasis was on events, not capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
IMF'd

I dispute the washing machine thing. I remember the days before we had a washing machine. With a family of four and as little as we washed/changed clothes in those days, I remember my mother doing two wash days a week. Minimum two hours hand washing clothes, wringing them out on the taps then the ins and outs of hanging them on the line/taking them in when it looked like rain/hanging them out again. Add to that ironing required and you are up to a heap of time spent on laundry. A heap more than Mrs. YM spends on laundry for our equivalent family of four even allowing for being cleaner and wearing clothes to less dirty.

edit: PS there's also a world of difference between stuffing a wash in the washing machine/transferring to the dryer and washing by hand/hanging out laundry. In the former, you can do other stuff while the washing is on (ours runs overnight), in the latter, it is hard graft...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:
I dispute the washing machine thing. I remember the days before we had a washing machine. With a family of four and as little as we washed/changed clothes in those days, I remember my mother doing two wash days a week. Minimum two hours hand washing clothes, wringing them out on the taps then the ins and outs of hanging them on the line/taking them in when it looked like rain/hanging them out again. Add to that ironing required and you are up to a heap of time spent on laundry. A heap more than Mrs. YM spends on laundry for our equivalent family of four even allowing for being cleaner and wearing clothes to less dirty.

edit: PS there's also a world of difference between stuffing a wash in the washing machine/transferring to the dryer and washing by hand/hanging out laundry. In the former, you can do other stuff while the washing is on (ours runs overnight), in the latter, it is hard graft...

And while it's running, you can also use all your other domestic appliances, to fit in some extra housework, that you wouldn't have had time to do in years past...or maybe watch a little TV. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next