Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Where are you now?
Ireland 37%  37%  [ 40 ]
U.K. 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
Europe 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
USA 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Canada 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
South America 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Australasia 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Asia 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Africa 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 107
 Post subject: Re: Ex-Pats on the site.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

buddygunz wrote:
Some of the expats here have serious issues about their homeland.

I get annoyed at the people here who define their mood by the weather outside. Why do they hate rain so much? Its rare that I find rain actually unpleasant to stand out in whether I'm walking or doing some sport. I don't enjoy the bland, dry brown palette that covers the majority of the world.

Emigrating changes your perspective. Notwithstanding that, most users of this site have serious issues about Ireland.

I lived in an almost perfect climate for 2 years (too hot for 3 months) and yes the weather did make a huge difference for me. Each to their own though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

This thread has taught me one very important thing.

We need a weather thread for the Piston! BD :D

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm 
Private Tenant

Dotty2012 wrote:
If I was going to be smug I'd tell you that I'm now off to sit on my terrace overlooking the port in the stunning evening sunshine and sip down a glass of fizzy rose (that I get at 1/10th the price you'll get it in your local supermarket), before an evening stroll by the sea and dinner al-fresco with some friends and family.

+1. Enjoy. Just off to a local wine bar myself for a glass of rosado and tapas. Is there a smiley for smug?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Just finished a bowl of strawberries and cream looking out on the sun setting over the mountain on the far side of the Neckar here in Heidelberg.
500g Punnet of Strawberries 99cent and cream 35cent for 200ml in Aldi.

Back in Ireland I'd usually hope for rain as it would wash the scum from the streets for a quiet evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Home is where they understand you.
Maybe that's Ireland for most and maybe it isn't for others.

I certainly never felt understood in any of the foreign places I've spent time in. I was comfortable and liked it but not understood.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:51 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dipole wrote:
Just finished a bowl of strawberries and cream looking out on the sun setting over the mountain on the far side of the Neckar here in Heidelberg.
500g Punnet of Strawberries 99cent and cream 35cent for 200ml in Aldi.

Back in Ireland I'd usually hope for rain as it would wash the scum from the streets for a quiet evening.

Heidelberg is not a typical German immigrant experience. Lots of scum in Germany and I saw far more open drug dealing in big cities.

As for the people. Some people like the fortright nature of Germans. For me it got grating after a while. A large chunk of Germans are completely charmless.

Both native and naturalised Germans can be very annoying. Like the taxi driver who went nuts when I saw my shoe was open as I got out and paused to tie my shoe lace on the door sill of his taxi on a business trip in the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:02 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

BlameGame wrote:
Like the taxi driver who went nuts when I saw my shoe was open as I got out and paused to tie my shoe lace on the door sill of his taxi on a business trip in the last few years.

We're you intentionally trying to wind him up or are you just blissfully unaware of your annoying habits?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dipole wrote:
BlameGame wrote:
Like the taxi driver who went nuts when I saw my shoe was open as I got out and paused to tie my shoe lace on the door sill of his taxi on a business trip in the last few years.

We're you intentionally trying to wind him up or are you just blissfully unaware of your annoying habits?

I guess that's the difference between the Irish and the Germans. They're more anal. I instinctively paused to tie my shoelace after giving a guy 50/60 euro fare and he went mental.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:46 am 
Too Big to Fail

There's a reason why the romans called Ireland "winterland".

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 am 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:

:) In stark contrast to the prevaling climatic conditions in our part of the world. You would surely miss it if you had to leave.

Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.- JK Galbraith

Taxes are what we pay for civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Homes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Most expats, by definition, have lived elsewhere other than Ireland. That means they have seen other countries, societies, economies, cultures and politics.

My youngest sister, who I do not know very well, describes me as incensed. Incensed and angry at how this country is run. That is because I have seen that it can be done better, with little or no effort.

I will leave as soon as possible.Tomorrow would suit me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:59 am 
Too Big to Fail

Rick Flair wrote:
catbear wrote:

:) In stark contrast to the prevaling climatic conditions in our part of the world. You would surely miss it if you had to leave.

Absolutely agree! :lol:

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 am 
Real Estate Developer

Left for chicago in 86 (for summer holiday).Stayed there till 93 when I moved to Ozz for a year.
From Ozz I returned to chicago but returned to Ireland in late 94.
I lasted three months in Ireland, I couldn't stick the incessant, continual rain.
I've done some time in Toronto and in Chile and Argentina.
I have been back to Ireland three times in 14 years and not sure when or if I'll return again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:27 am 
Real Estate Developer

jabaar wrote:
So the whole continent of South America gets thrown in with USA I guess, what imperialiest came up with this survey, ha!

Latin America for 15 years on and off, mostly on for the past 10, love Irleand and will visit this summer, got interested in property in Ireland as was involved in a small scale in the later 90's, got out as quick a spossible in 2000 but could nto believe what happened thereafter.
Prefer the ex-pat life by far

What part of Latin America? (if not too personal)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 am 
Under CAB Investigation

On the weather thing....I'd say if you were pretty content with life, surrounded by friends and family, happy enough with your lot and comfortable with Irish society and the way the place is run, then you probably wouldn't even notice the weather.

But if yer disgruntled with Ireland, the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work, then the weather...that endless rain....not seeing the sun for weeks on end...becomes a lightning rod for all that frustration and alienation. Probably because it's one of the only things you can safely give out about and not be ostracised.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next