Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Where are you now?
Ireland 37%  37%  [ 40 ]
U.K. 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
Europe 16%  16%  [ 17 ]
USA 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Canada 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
South America 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Australasia 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Asia 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Africa 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 107
 Post subject: Re: Ex-Pats on the site.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:13 am 
Too Big to Fail

I agree sidewinder, it's something no one can argue with and makes return visits more convivial. Another aspect is the prevalence of binge drinking as a cultural activity where long dark seasons prevail, in other climes alcohol is more integrated into everyday life; drinking in public is not taboo but drinking to get drunk is.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 am 
Real Estate Developer

tim1963 wrote:
Dotty2012 wrote:
If I was going to be smug I'd tell you that I'm now off to sit on my terrace overlooking the port in the stunning evening sunshine and sip down a glass of fizzy rose (that I get at 1/10th the price you'll get it in your local supermarket), before an evening stroll by the sea and dinner al-fresco with some friends and family.

+1. Enjoy. Just off to a local wine bar myself for a glass of rosado and tapas. Is there a smiley for smug?

Sorry, but you're not considered a fully qualified ex-pat until you're bored by the notion of outdoor dining.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Sidewinder wrote:
On the weather thing....I'd say if you were pretty content with life, surrounded by friends and family, happy enough with your lot and comfortable with Irish society and the way the place is run, then you probably wouldn't even notice the weather.

But if yer disgruntled with Ireland, the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work, then the weather...that endless rain....not seeing the sun for weeks on end...becomes a lightning rod for all that frustration and alienation. Probably because it's one of the only things you can safely give out about and not be ostracised.

But, if you are coming back to Ireland from a long stint in a country where the "the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work" makes Ireland look as well run as Finland by comparison, you can still get annoyed at what goes on here but without letting it get to you too much. The weather could be nicer but it's good to not have to worry about hypothermia or heatstroke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 am 
IMF'd

Sidewinder wrote:
On the weather thing....I'd say if you were pretty content with life, surrounded by friends and family, happy enough with your lot and comfortable with Irish society and the way the place is run, then you probably wouldn't even notice the weather.

No, I'm not sure about that. This summer has been particularly appalling. No sun to speak of - cloudy with some rain every day. It's like living in a wet sock.

Quote:
But if yer disgruntled with Ireland, the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work, then the weather...that endless rain....not seeing the sun for weeks on end...becomes a lightning rod for all that frustration and alienation. Probably because it's one of the only things you can safely give out about and not be ostracised.

I agree, though, that if you are incensed, then the weather makes it worse.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:19 am 
Too Big to Fail

I put it this way, whenever I get even a faint pang for the familiar of the auld sod, I simply look up the met.ie site and any waft of nostalgia instantly evaporates.

I do think that being shut in so much by the weather is conducive to an very communicative society, the internet allows me to still partake of that society without being there.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:36 pm 
Property Magnate

I miss the consequences of mild damp weather, birdsong and deciduous trees, more than those endless rainy days. Maple trees are actually rare in Canada - we should really have a half-dead black spruce on our flag - but at least indoors is usually warm which could not be said of some relatives' farmhouses visited a few weeks ago. The cold woke me up every morning. I'm tempted to bring my cross country ski gear next time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 am 
Nationalised

Spambots affect this but

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thepropertypin.com#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:37 am 
Neo Landlord

Question! 41 yr old male, PhD pharmacology, 4yrs as a general manager of a pharma sales & marketing organisation, responsible for overview of finance, medical compliance. 3 kids, misses, should I apply for a visa!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:54 am 
Neo Landlord

Canada/Australia, preferably the US

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Bjorn again wrote:
Canada/Australia, preferably the US

Should you apply is a strange question, since the answer is "depends on whether you want to work there or not" ...

H1Bs in the US for 2014 have hit the cap limit in (almost) record time. Really heavy demand there. But given you have management experience there will be other routes open to you from a visa perspective if the US is your target. If your current employer is a US multinational, a transfer will be the best option available to you.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... a16250adf5

Can't comment on the other countries really. A family member lives in Canada, they applied for a job and got an offer. Don't remember any particular visa hassles. Know two people who went to Australia on skills visas and that was a fairly long process.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Bjorn again wrote:
Question! 41 yr old male, PhD pharmacology, 4yrs as a general manager of a pharma sales & marketing organisation, responsible for overview of finance, medical compliance. 3 kids, misses, should I apply for a visa!

Skilled Worker visas for New Zealand are relatively straightforward to get up to the age of 55.

It's not cheap here though so a good job lined up in advance is essential, property prices are bubblicious with Auckland prices just plain nuts, and for some reason everyone thinks it's a tropical paradise but the weather is actually more France than Fiji. Still an decent improvement on Irish weather though :D

On the plus side the amenties and activities are excellent, always Stuff to do. Wellington at least has a decent cultural scene and is very cosmopolitan, and I personally like Kiwis a lot. Honest, straight, friendly positive people as a rule, and stuff generally works here with a minimum of fuss. I love it here, but some ex-pats really dislike the place and leave after 6 months *shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Sidewinder wrote:
Bjorn again wrote:

Skilled Worker visas for New Zealand are relatively straightforward to get up to the age of 55.

It's not cheap here though so a good job lined up in advance is essential, property prices are bubblicious with Auckland prices just plain nuts, and for some reason everyone thinks it's a tropical paradise but the weather is actually more France than Fiji. Still an decent improvement on Irish weather though :D

On the plus side the amenties and activities are excellent, always Stuff to do. Wellington at least has a decent cultural scene and is very cosmopolitan, and I personally like Kiwis a lot. Honest, straight, friendly positive people as a rule, and stuff generally works here with a minimum of fuss. I love it here, but some ex-pats really dislike the place and leave after 6 months *shrugs*

You forgot to mention that its in the middle of bleeding nowhere.

Would put me off to be honest for that reason.

Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.- JK Galbraith

Taxes are what we pay for civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Homes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Rick Flair wrote:

Each to their own. I'm perfectly content to be far, far away from the thundering clusterf*ck that is most of the planet these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 am 
Too Big to Fail

Rick Flair wrote:

Isn't Perth the second most isolated city in the world?
I've been to NZ and if you have a good wage it has a lot more to offer than Perth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 am 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:
Rick Flair wrote:

Isn't Perth the second most isolated city in the world?
I've been to NZ and if you have a good wage it has a lot more to offer than Perth.

Traitor :D

Mr. David Stockman has said that supply-side economics was merely a cover for the trickle-down approach to economic policy—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.- JK Galbraith

Taxes are what we pay for civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Homes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next