Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Property Tax only 25% have paid.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I paid my LPT today online. After much internal wrangling I accepted the rather conservative Revenue estimate.

I live in a neighbourhood of thousands of identical houses, so my limp justification was that they have no excuse for getting the estimate wrong.

As I hit "submit" there were voices in my head shouting "TAX EVADER!!!!" but I'll learn to live with the guilt of possibly depriving the Revenue of €50 or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Single Home Owner

I am amazed at the amount of correspondence I am receiving from various resident associations all advocating/arguing that owners make returns below the revenue estimate (Often citing sales of local derelict properties).

It is funny how these residents associations (D4) always seem to be dominated by poor pensioners who are well able to articulate and reason why their property is worth 36% to 58% of my EA's valuations.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm 
Nationalised

propietario wrote:
I am amazed at the amount of correspondence I am receiving from various resident associations all advocating/arguing that owners make returns below the revenue estimate (Often citing sales of local derelict properties).

It is funny how these residents associations (D4) always seem to be dominated by poor pensioners who are well able to articulate and reason why their property is worth 36% to 58% of my EA's valuations.

sounds like conspiracy to defraud? :D

seriously, could you scan/photograph and upload (to www.imgur.com for example)?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

richie268 wrote:
Property Tax only 25% have paid.
The people have spoken .
With the compliance figure so low I can not envisage the computer user in a major rush to part with his hard earned cash.
In reality this figure needs to double before months end or it is back to the drawing board.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 93265.html

The same Revenue official quoted in the original article is now reporting that the number of returns has more than doubled since this report two weeks ago. So it was just over 50% with 12 days to go. So if returns keep coming in at the current rate of 30k per day (not accounting for any further spike during the final few days before the deadline) then it should be pushing 75% by the time the deadline comes. That would suggest a compliance rate up front equivalent to the level that the household charge is only now starting to reach a year after the deadline. It seems that moving this to Revenue has had the intended effect.

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home ... 4d98058503

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 am 
Nationalised

JohnnyTheFox wrote:
It seems that moving this to Revenue has had the intended effect.

I know, right? Having a tax collected by professional tax collectors is more effective that using random public servants. Who would have thought? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 am 
Too Big to Fail

Mantissa wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:

I know, right? Having a tax collected by professional tax collectors is more effective that using random public servants. Who would have thought? :roll:

It's the same as saying that a muscle-bound loan shark will get a better return on his investment than a scrawny one, people know not to mess with the taxman!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:52 am 
Under CAB Investigation

dolanbaker wrote:
Mantissa wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:

It's the same as saying that a muscle-bound loan shark will get a better return on his investment than a scrawny one, people know not to mess with the taxman!

Yes, that's obvious to most of us, but the OP didn't seem to get it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:51 am 
Too Big to Fail

Today is the deadline for online applications.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.1408146

Quote:
The deadline for property tax registrations falls due at midnight tonight with as many as 400,000 property owners facing mandatory deductions of the tax if they do not make returns to the Revenue on time.

Amid signs of a last-minute rush to complete registrations with the tax authority, the Revenue said 1.265 million returns had been submitted by close of business yesterday as property owners dashed to meet the deadline.

Some 65,000 owners signed up between mid-morning and 5pm yesterday while a further 100,000 signed up over the weekend, a Revenue spokeswoman indicated.

Registrations to date point to a compliance rate of some 76 per cent of the 1.66 million tax notifications the Revenue sent to owners.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am 
Nationalised

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.1408154
"This cruel form of double taxation may not last"

rather odd headline given the rest of the piece; I thought I was clicking on a piece by RBB or a well upholstered member of the middle class like Tom McGurk

Dan O'Brien wrote:
Property taxes are taxes on wealth. Given that wealth is mostly made up of years of saved income upon which tax has – or should have been – paid, property taxes amount to double taxation.

maybe - if you ignore the 90-100% mortgages that pumped up the bubble and the very average punters who became property millionaires because they were lucky enough to buy in the right areas 30 years ago

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Deadline extended to 8pm tomorrow

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/revenue- ... -1.1408699

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Eschatologist wrote:
I paid my LPT today online. After much internal wrangling I accepted the rather conservative Revenue estimate.

I live in a neighbourhood of thousands of identical houses, so my limp justification was that they have no excuse for getting the estimate wrong.

As I hit "submit" there were voices in my head shouting "TAX EVADER!!!!" but I'll learn to live with the guilt of possibly depriving the Revenue of €50 or whatever.

You do understand self assessment? I hope you are not self employed.

The powers granted to the Revenue to facilitate the collection of this are an extraordinary extension of their legal powers. Almost at the customs level.

I couldnt be arsed with the HC (my better half did that). I filed this one promptly.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

grumpy wrote:
You do understand self assessment? I hope you are not self employed.

Yes, of course I understand it. I also understand that there is no objective way to value a property until it's sold. Both Daft and Revenue agreed on the typical valuation of the properties in the area, which is below a couple of actual sales of vaguely similar (but significantly improved) houses.

Blah, blah, self-justification. You have me feeling guilty now.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I paid based on valuation of about 65% of what the revenue supplied. One neighbour had chatted to a EA and he paid the same. I advised another neighbour on what I was submitting and he was going to do the same.

Both trying to ride me...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am 
Under CAB Investigation

About a fifth of my colleagues paid this yesterday. If that's the same as the national average, then the rate of compliance for this new tax will prove to be very high, perhaps higher than the Revenue's target rate of 80% compliance.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm 
Single Home Owner

North of 1.68m returns made to date (includes 160k local authority properties)

84% compliance (the power of revenue)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next