Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post subject: Re: 14th of June 2006. When an idea became a reality.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Well done OW and all who pilot this fine ship. I do miss that the Central Bank is not what it used to be but whilst it was what it was I learned a lot.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:48 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Open Window wrote:
woger wrote:
How long did you toy with the idea of the site before setting up, and was there any one event that made you think you needed to set it up?

How long?

The actual moment of clear intention and creation occurred on the evening of the 14th of June 2006.

What event?

The event that hadn't happened yet but very soon would beyond any doubt.

Am I misremembering or was part of the reason for the creation of the Pin the banning of house price discussion on the AskAboutMoney forum?

Anyway, great job and congratulations on the milestone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:51 pm 
Nationalised

kirian wrote:
Open Window wrote:
woger wrote:
How long did you toy with the idea of the site before setting up, and was there any one event that made you think you needed to set it up?

How long?

The actual moment of clear intention and creation occurred on the evening of the 14th of June 2006.

What event?

Am I misremembering or was part of the reason for the creation of the Pin the banning of house price discussion on the AskAboutMoney forum?

Anyway, great job and congratulations on the milestone.

It is a common and understandable misconception which was clarified here for the record for those very reasons.

The pin came into existence some months before the infamous ban. The proximity of the two events I believe is the main cause of some of the confusion and thus correct sequence of events.

However it was an important moment as it pushed a lot of the discussion and thus traffic on the issue this direction. The event to my mind exemplified why the pin was very much needed at that point in time. The debate was hugely explosive and consequently massively divisive.

Thankfully there was room a plenty here and the pin has had many friends along the way to keep it afloat and would be nothing without generous souls giving of their time, advise and expertise without fear or favour.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:01 am 
Too Big to Fail

Just to say to OW and a lot of the founding fathers/mothers at a time when I was being pressured/tempted to pay €700k for an OK house and KNEW this was crazy The Pin re focused and steadied my nerve. My own story from 2009 is in there Discostu buys a house I think its called but The Pin saved me a lot of money but more importantly saved my sanity...truely " We were NOT alone" ...in thinking it was all mad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:24 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Congrats OW....and keep it going!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:21 pm 
Nationalised

Open Window wrote:
woger wrote:

How long?

What event?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:50 pm 
Too Big to Fail

And I was there!
Well observing at least. :)

Ruminations of a Rain Sozzled Paddy blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 pm 
Property Magnate

Here's another perspicacious post from July 2006:

"so the first sign that prices wont increase at 100% pa and we immediately have a soft landing, or is it like watching a car crash in slow motion

where the hell are we when the property scam ends, huge budget deficits, overpaid civil servants, doctors, shite health service, poorly paid teachers and everyone with a mountain of debt to pay for the next 30 years for their 3 bed box

probably quoyted here before but the book "Manias panics and Crashes " is well worth a read, apart from oulining property bubbles it outlines the effect on the banking system, banks can actually go bankrupt!! unless the state, ie the taxpayer, bails them out . This happened back in the 80s with AIB so Paddy taxpayer bails out the bank so it rip u off as before

i am just wondering will some of the banks go under when the whole charade ends, if u have money on deposit u might bear that in mind

and to think idiots call mccreevy the greatest finance minister we ever had, a buffoon would be closer to the mark"

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26&view=previous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:26 pm 
Migrant

can't believe it's been around so long and I've just came across it