Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble

Post subject: The Returning to Ireland Thread.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Is anyone aware of a good forum/board, where returning Irish can post questions and discuss challenges of settling back at home?

I realise I could be one of these in the next few months, and want to get beyond what I'm reading in the papers about the experience.

I know there are immigation forms for foreign nationals coming to Ireland, but not sure the content there would align with my situation.

Would also post questions here but not sure how many on the Pin have made the move home recently.

Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am 
Too Big to Fail

Boards.ie have a section
From the UK less so. Do a search or enquire yourself
Expats who returned home to Ireland?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:12 am 
Too Big to Fail

london_irish wrote:
Is anyone aware of a good forum/board, where returning Irish can post questions and discuss challenges of settling back at home?

I realise I could be one of these in the next few months, and want to get beyond what I'm reading in the papers about the experience.

I know there are immigation forms for foreign nationals coming to Ireland, but not sure the content there would align with my situation.

Would also post questions here but not sure how many on the Pin have made the move home recently.

Good timing with the post today :D
http://www.thejournal.ie/coming-back-to ... 2-Mar2018/
https://www.dfa.ie/global-irish/returning-to-ireland/

Obviously, not a forum as such unfortunately.

I believe there's a few pinsters that have returned home and one or two that might have even left again. I'm very bad at remembering names normally and am worse at remembering posters names.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm 
IMF'd

I returned in 2000, but that's now a very long time ago now.
Public Health less good at hospital level (though the only time I went to hospital in London, I sat for hours in A&E to have a chorizo-wound stiched, much better at GP level.
Schools much better and 'free'.

Mostly everything works well, TBH, compared to when I originally left in the mid-80s. The country is cleaner, healthier, more diverse, less overtly religious. The PS broadcaster (RTE I mean) has not yet dumbed down like the BBC has. The hipsters are opening decent restaurants, even down the country! Culturally, large areas of the country are wastelands, despite the efforts of a few (Kate P!), but even then you can find spots of activity.

I guess it depends what you want! Feel free to PM, though bear in mind I'm in the sticks and your Dublin mileage may vary!

MOD NOTE: Avocado Hand, Chorizo finger discussion continued here > viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67331

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Last edited by Open Window on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chorizo split

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Moved back from Australia in 2015, went out in there 2011. Was delighted to leave ireland when we got the chance, the mood all around was just too gloomy but thankfully it was much better on our return. We had a gaff to return to, not Dublin based but we both picked up work pretty quickly, although it must be stressed through old contacts who had toughed it out.

Moved to the UK in 2016 for my wife's planned career move, arrived just after Brexit vote! :roll:

We had been open to long term in the UK but with Brexit at its current trajectory that seems unlikely now, wouldn't mind a return to Ireland, but definitely not Dublin. In truth I'm probably more comfortable as a culchie than a squeezed townie.

I really missed the seasons when we were in Oz.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post subject: Re: The Returning to Ireland Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am 
Nationalised

london_irish wrote:

Oh I could be wrong but I am struck that the largest challange be finding any accommodation let alone suitable accommodation at a price that is reasonable?

I'm sure you have considered this.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am 
Speculator

Open Window wrote:
london_irish wrote:

Oh I could be wrong but I am struck that the largest challange be finding any accommodation let alone suitable accommodation at a price that is reasonable?

I'm sure you have considered this.

He or she didn't say that they were considering returning to Dublin. There are a good deal fewer problems finding most types of accommodation in most locations outside Dublin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 am 
Nationalised

onioneater wrote:
He or she didn't say that they were considering returning to Dublin. There are a good deal fewer problems finding most types of accommodation in most locations outside Dublin.

Point taken.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 am 
Speculator

Open Window wrote:
onioneater wrote:

Point taken.

Although of course they quite likely are and as you pointed out will run into suitable accommodation as a major issue unless they have substantial funds or salaries available to smooth any Dublin relocation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Decided to have a gander at the link I posted earlier.

Quote:
In 2017 the Department of Finance Cost of Insurance Working Group announced the agreement of a new Protocol with Insurance Ireland to assist returning emigrants get motoring cover. The protocol provides that, where a person can demonstrate claims-free driving experience in a different country, insurance companies will take this experience into consideration. This move by the Department of Finance and Insurance Ireland will help to address the disproportionate cost of car insurance that some people have faced on returning home.

More information on securing motor insurance in Ireland, including a note for returning emigrants, can be found on the Insurance Ireland website.

That sounds promising but I wonder if anyone has put this to the test yet.

I know getting affordable car insurance was a big problem for a friend of mine as he was considered to be starting out with 0 years no claims despite driving for 10 years. His car insurance for a modest 1.4 petrol was over € 3k

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm 

Open Window wrote:
onioneater wrote:

Point taken.

Yes, I've had a good look around Daft et al. Its pretty concerning - there's not a huge amount at any reasonable cost in the commuter counties from what I have seen so far.

That might not matter hugely. My missus is Australian and I'm going to apply for my partner visa (again - last one expired as we didn't make the big move to Aus at the time). There could be an 18 month wait time, and I might be out of work here in just a few months, its hard to say. Anyways Australia is the end goal.

So a move to Ireland, if it happens, would really be short term, a few months to a year. Would be good for the kids to connect with the extended family. Am thinking about contracting, and living further out the country from Dublin. Would be a bitch of a commute though. Also looking at idea of long term term car rental to avoid the insurance issue - I've been out in the Middle East for years so imagine I'll be treated like a leper by insurance companies (never had a claim out here though).

Also looking at long term rental period in a holiday home, as opposed to signing up for a year lease somewhere (besides, I need to have references? I haven't had to deal with that bolloxology for 10 years now).

This might run up against the problem of getting leave to remain for the missus, where we to provide proof of joint address.

Obviously this isn't a well thought out plan right now...have lots of thinking yet to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm 
Nationalised

I think in terms of accommodation/rental market cycle. You seem to have left the fire to only return to the inferno. It's not pretty. I dare say you'll be even more shocked on the ground. I think many here are totally snow blind to the dismal reality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm 
IMF'd

Dubhgeannain wrote:
Decided to have a gander at the link I posted earlier.

Quote:
In 2017 the Department of Finance Cost of Insurance Working Group announced the agreement of a new Protocol with Insurance Ireland to assist returning emigrants get motoring cover. The protocol provides that, where a person can demonstrate claims-free driving experience in a different country, insurance companies will take this experience into consideration. This move by the Department of Finance and Insurance Ireland will help to address the disproportionate cost of car insurance that some people have faced on returning home.

More information on securing motor insurance in Ireland, including a note for returning emigrants, can be found on the Insurance Ireland website.

That sounds promising but I wonder if anyone has put this to the test yet.

I know getting affordable car insurance was a big problem for a friend of mine as he was considered to be starting out with 0 years no claims despite driving for 10 years. His car insurance for a modest 1.4 petrol was over € 3k

Thank you for that! I've passed that to my BIL who was similarly charged an arm and a leg despite years of no claims in another EU country.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Open Window wrote:
I think in terms of accommodation/rental market cycle. You seem to have left the fire to only return to the inferno. It's not pretty. I dare say you'll be even more shocked on the ground. I think many here are totally snow blind to the dismal reality.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach it. It depends really on when the axe falls in my current place - and the predicted time left until the aussie visa comes through. Really wondering if it is worth it to go to Ireland and go through the pain of setting up, only to leave again later.
I've got kids as well - another mate of mine moving back from London has been told to avoid schools in Dublin as they are full to the brim.
It does seem the only way is to move out into the sticks - like, way out. I'm possibly looking at 4+ hours commuting a day. Which I could only really stomach for the short term.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:32 pm 
Too Big to Fail

london_irish wrote:
It does seem the only way is to move out into the sticks - like, way out. I'm possibly looking at 4+ hours commuting a day. Which I could only really stomach for the short term.

Thurles is an hour by train to Dublin, train every hour I think. An hour from Cork too!

My brother commutes on that line and enjoys his morning read. I believe Thurles even has a hipster cafe now!

The Two Johnnies have some promotional video for the area...

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Board index » POST Property Bubbles » Post Irish Property Bubble