Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:38 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

One good advice to emigrants, don't think too much about home, live your life here.

It is sometimes hard, as you might not like some stuff at emigration, but at the same time home is different after x years..

anyway, why the weather here is so bad?
DAMN! Fucken Irish weather, Just looked at forecast for my hometown - 27C on Monday. Why did I do it? why??? XD

For future reference, a 'soft landing' theorem:
06/2007: Central Bank predicts soft landing for housing
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 96858.html
It's all grand

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:18 am 
First Time Buyer

Last edited by the_wrong_thong on Sat May 21, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:36 am 
Private Tenant

Quote:
Personally I`m at an age where for each extra bit I stay here it gets increasingly harder to return. If I stay another few years and return with a deposit for a house then I`d be at an age where meeting someone to have kids with would be very hard or not possible. I`m in a good job with good pay and conditions in an ideal location for buying a house. Being realistic I would just not achieve anything similar in Ireland...not in terms of job and pay but in terms of commute and the kind of place I could live.

But it does break my heart as my parents age and I can`t be at home with them. A colleague from Belgium had an upsetting email from his sister during the week...their parents needs alot of care now and she feels that he has skipped away to be carefree etc etc

What age do you think you will be too old for that?

As long as you keep yourself in shape and look after your finances you shouldn't struggle to meet an eligible woman until your mid 40s.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:57 am 
Too Big to Fail

mightyz wrote:
DAMN! Fucken Irish weather, Just looked at forecast for my hometown - 27C on Monday. Why did I do it? why??? XD

- 27C? That's bloody cold for late May! Where are you from, South Georgia?

:-GC

Anyway, I know enough immigrants from countries with more extreme climates that much prefer the Irish weather. Personally, I think it's pretty close to perfect.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:13 am 
Property Magnate

Madness of Crowds wrote:
mightyz wrote:

- 27C? That's bloody cold for late May! Where are you from, South Georgia?

:-GC

Anyway, I know enough immigrants from countries with more extreme climates that much prefer the Irish weather. Personally, I think it's pretty close to perfect.

I'd be one of those. At the previous place, we had around -8C in Winter and +27C in summer (with more extremes on both ends).
Liking the much less extreme temperature variation in Dublin, which are from what around +4C to +18C or thereabouts?
Wouldn't mind if temperature here would be a few degrees higher on average though :) - maybe I retire in Madeira....

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:30 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Buster wrote:
As long as you keep yourself in shape and look after your finances you shouldn't struggle to meet an eligible woman until your mid 40s.

Now in my mid-40s.
Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis earlier this year.

Don't wait until your mid-40s.
Be on game now.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 am 
Private Tenant

wii4miinow wrote:
Buster wrote:

Now in my mid-40s.

Be on game now.

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, correct. get out there and all that.

But the right one has to come along.

And she might take her sweet time.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:38 am 
Of Systemic Importance

emigrants could do like me and come home regularly.
I have my flights booked up until the end of the year on average every 7 weeks. I leave from work to go to the airport and return late at night.
I mainly take extended weekend breaks.
If you are in most of western europe in easy reach of an international airport this is workable. if you are in the UK it would be possible almost every week or fortnight thanks to Ryanair/Aer Lingus.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm 
Nationalised

dipole wrote:
I have my flights booked up until the end of the year on average every 7 weeks. I leave from work to go to the airport and return late at night.
If you are in most of western europe in easy reach of an international airport this is workable. if you are in the UK it would be possible almost every week or fortnight thanks to Ryanair/Aer Lingus.

Averaging home once every 18 months from Australia. If I could manage a trip every six months it would be a million times more easy. But it's probably not realistic with annual leave and flight prices. You spend two days travelling and a week jetlagged either side

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I found Australia too hard with the distance thing. It would have been fine if I had settled down there with kids etc but our life was firmly northern hemisphere. Would love to do a couple of years in New Year but truly could never settle long term there.

I really appreciated having europe on my doorstep after that. We're moving to the UK for a few years but it's a doddle compared to going to the far side of the world.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:44 pm 
Real Estate Developer

dipole wrote:

Meh, this works if you live on a direct flight route and your family lives within easy reach of Dublin airport. For some people the really long part of the journey begins after landing in Dublin, making a weekend jaunt just too hard.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:49 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

I'd be not so far from the border with Connaught. Hire cars are usually cheap outside peak season.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:31 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Buster wrote:
wii4miinow wrote:
Buster wrote:

Now in my mid-40s.

Be on game now.

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, correct. get out there and all that.

But the right one has to come along.

And she might take her sweet time.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Latest figures for 15-34 year olds per QNHS Q1 2016

Over the lifetime of the FG/Labour Government -179,100 left the workforce. Massive emigration, even allowing for population changes

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm 
Property Magnate

But the population is up 150,000 or so census 2011 to census 2016, and a major chunk of them demand houses, driving insatiable demand we are told. Have we added nearly 150,000 dependents since 2011?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 79  Next