Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79
 Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:36 am 
Neo Landlord

Bea wrote:
"As I say, its a fantastic place and would make a fantastic chapter in your family's life. The challenges arise with the school and university system for late teens. If you carry a Euro or US passport that doesn't matter; you just work on the basis that your kids will attend college abroad.
Billy Bob

Just by the way of an FYI - and this is directly from the TCD website and is typical of all European universities, in order to qualify for free or EU fees at uni, and avoid the eye watering international student rates, which I understand are three times the usual rate:

"The student must have been ordinarily resident in an EU Member State and must have received full-time post primary education in the EU for three of the five years prior to entry," to qualify for EU fees. An EU passport on its own won't allow anyone to avoid international student fees.

http://www.tcd.ie/study/eu/undergraduat ... d-payments[/quote]

Agreed. But OP has a 2 year old and one on the way. He's also only talking of heading out there for two years so I don't think that becomes a big issue.

What I was saying is that BEE policies and quota systems mean that you probably need to look internationally for higher education and that will be your expectation from day one.

Most South African's expect to have to pay international rates for their kids to attend a top college in UK or US.

This is obviously not your average Joe (or Bandile) on the street but I'd suggest it is reflective of the socio-economic cohort most expats would mix with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 am 
Single Home Owner

Yep Billy Bob, I understood that OP has young kids, but my point was an FYI that people don't realise often when they leave Europe with children, a European passport alone will not guarantee EU fees if parents want them to return to Ireland for higher education. Two years can easily run into 10. I went to London for 6 months myself and stayed for 28 years.

UK uni fees were around 9k per annum for European citizens the last time I looked, but for international students or those with EU or U.K. Passports who have been abroad for the last three years before application (including diplomats kids and kids of those in the armed forces who have been based outside Europe) it can jump to about 40k per year for a course such as medicine at a Russell Group University. That is an enormous expense for anyone, especially for a course that may be 6 years long.

Anyone living in the U.K. now with young teens, and thinking about Ireland or Europe as a university location for them in the future would probably do well to get them an EU passport and move them by GCSE stage because no-one knows what will happen after Brexit.

In my experience, people too often assume an EU passport alone will entitle their children to go to a European university at European rates, and they have no concept of how high international student fees can be. I just think it is worth noting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 am 
Neo Landlord

Bea wrote:
Yep Billy Bob, I understood that OP has young kids, but my point was an FYI that people don't realise often when they leave Europe with children, a European passport alone will not guarantee EU fees if parents want them to return to Ireland for higher education. Two years can easily run into 10. I went to London for 6 months myself and stayed for 28 years.

UK uni fees were around 9k per annum for European citizens the last time I looked, but for international students or those with EU or U.K. Passports who have been abroad for the last three years before application (including diplomats kids and kids of those in the armed forces who have been based outside Europe) it can jump to about 40k per year for a course such as medicine at a Russell Group University. That is an enormous expense for anyone, especially for a course that may be 6 years long.

Anyone living in the U.K. now with young teens, and thinking about Ireland or Europe as a university location for them in the future would probably do well to get them an EU passport and move them by GCSE stage because no-one knows what will happen after Brexit.

In my experience, people too often assume an EU passport alone will entitle their children to go to a European university at European rates, and they have no concept of how high international student fees can be. I just think it is worth noting.

Thanks for your the clarification and I agree that is something that does surprise people.

As an aside, I think it's prudent to assume that in general where ever you at in the world you're going to have to pay US style college fees for kid higher education; essentially employing the adage plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Bringing that back to the SA example that's certainly what everyone does there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79