Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Emigration Thread.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Calina wrote:
catbear wrote:
mightyz wrote:
so where is this promise land ?

Well having travelled around a good bit I'd say anywhere where tap water won't kill you, there's basic levels of nutrition, healthcare and education and the law is broadly accountable.

I moved to Luxembourg. Currently apartment hunting although I started work last week.

Enjoy the cheap whiskey! The local eau de vie are fabulous, amazing how much fruit they can carry across the distilling.

Congrats.

Trier is a grand spot across the border if you fancy a cycle in the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 am 
Under CAB Investigation

mikewest wrote:
Calina wrote:
catbear wrote:
mightyz wrote:
so where is this promise land ?

Well having travelled around a good bit I'd say anywhere where tap water won't kill you, there's basic levels of nutrition, healthcare and education and the law is broadly accountable.

I moved to Luxembourg. Currently apartment hunting although I started work last week.

Enjoy the cheap whiskey! The local eau de vie are fabulous, amazing how much fruit they can carry across the distilling.

Congrats.

Trier is a grand spot across the border if you fancy a cycle in the summer.

But is not Luxembourg one of those countries where people literally die of boredom?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:04 pm 
Too Big to Fail

QNHS Q4 2016 stats are out
http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica ... rter42016/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 am 
Too Big to Fail

Indo - We are FORCED to leave Ireland so that we can buy a house in Ireland Dublin
Two teachers earning €36k-€39k in mid twenties go forced to the UAE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:36 am 
Property Magnate

....and they both keep their secure pensionable jobs in the meantime. The horror!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 am 
Nationalised

taipeir wrote:
....and they both keep their secure pensionable jobs in the meantime. The horror!

Do they keep the Irish jobs though?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am 
Of Systemic Importance

temene wrote:
Indo - We are FORCED to leave Ireland so that we can buy a house in Ireland Dublin
Two teachers earning €36k-€39k in mid twenties go forced to the UAE

I can't open the link but I'm assuming there's nothing beyond the above description contained in the article....and if so, in a nutshell that's basically why globalisation is a scam designed to benefit the few via the creation of a new form of feudalism which looks like it will be based on ownership of urban property rather than rural farmholdings.

While this couple are out in The Gulf, the property that they should ordinarily be renting in Dublin will instead be occupied by a group of foreign students working in a service industry whose main custom is provided by members of the same landed gentry class that owns the rental property.

Globalisation and the mass movement of cheap labour into developed urban areas the world over is ensuring that previous limiting aspects of market theory such as availability of labour no longer apply. Effectively, the notion that there was an 'ecological' element to such theory in so far as markets were believed to expand and contract as if they were living entities is no longer arguable. There is a mass of people out there who, despite the fact that they are currently physically located in Bangladesh or Nepal, are potential actors when it comes to the Dublin housing market....and of course to question whether any of this is wise in terms of its future impact in societal terms, is to risk being labelled racist etc.

Almost 40 years ago now Thatcher espoused the idea that there was no such thing as 'society', just many individual economic actors. It's ironic that it looks like it will be liberal/leftist concepts of diversity and multiculturalism that will ultimately be the banners under which her vision is finally realised.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am 
Too Big to Fail

The above article

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am 
Under CAB Investigation

There is a selective issue with maths and science teachers who have far better earning prospects than in teaching, particularly in urban areas.

For every one of them there are 50 other teachers with arts degrees on >60k with Tipperary housing costs though.

Teacher unions (who planted this article) will not countenance any differentiation of pay by location or qualification though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Just a note on their salary in UAE. 40K Salary works out at 13K AED each a month. Which is not great as UAE salaries go - Gulf countries are expensive to live in. At least they have their accommodation covered but might be surprised at the quality. That said the salary does seem to fall broadly in line with what I have seen out here for new teachers coming in.
Schools out here - and l'm assuming they are going into a private school for expats, not a "local" school - can be well run or a shambles, especially newer schools which are desperately trying to recoup costs and turn a profit quickly.
They can do well if they are disciplined about saving & spending, but the overall impression I have after several years in the region is that Gulf countries try to claw back as much as they can - people are encouraged to get drawn into a certain lifestyle and suddenly are not saving so much, if at all.
If they decide to start a family, then thats a whole other ball game in terms of expenses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:18 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Skippy 3 wrote:
There is a selective issue with maths and science teachers who have far better earning prospects than in teaching, particularly in urban areas.

For every one of them there are 50 other teachers with arts degrees on >60k with Tipperary housing costs though.

Teacher unions (who planted this article) will not countenance any differentiation of pay by location or qualification though.

Regardless of whether the article was 'planted', the facts are that a couple, both earning teachers salaries are not in a position to buy a 2 or 3 bed semi d in Dublin....when those salaries are combined.

A similar married teacher with kids could have afforded to do exactly that on one salary in Dublin 30 years ago.

As I suggested in my previous post on this thread, there are particular reasons for this fact, which is ultimately a choice on the part of wider Irish society (or at least that section of it that gets to have input into such decisions)......and not an act of God or indeed a consequence of some form of evolutionary ebb and flow as some would have us believe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

They can readily buy a 2 or 3 bed apartment and there are three bed semis in d15, Lucan, swords etc which would be within reach based on one earning 36k and one earning 39k. Dublin is a vastly different city to what it was when a single teachers salary could buy a three bed semi. For one thing it has at least double the population.

They can also expect a salary increase of at least €1000 a year before any inflation adjustments for at least five years.

They're mid twenties. If they save for three years @15k a year (not a particularly challenging target), they'll have a joint salary of at least €82k (it'll be a little higher but I'm not going to work out exactly where they are increment wise). So €330k or thereabouts.

In general they look like the sort of homes I'd expect two teachers to occupy.
http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sa ... _type%5D=d

They may want to speed things up or get a ether place by going to the UAE but saying they absolutely have to is stretching the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 pm 
Neo Landlord

Skippy 3 wrote:

I'm curious as to the jobs available for science/maths teachers that would offer better prospects.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 am 
Too Big to Fail

Stapler wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:

I'm curious as to the jobs available for science/maths teachers that would offer better prospects.

I think the argument is that with a degree in chemistry or mechanical engineering, you needn't drift into teaching in the first place. You're not going to become a design engineer at Airbus with a sociology degree. Whether those jobs are available in Ireland is another matter, since the job market here for such people is a bit shallow.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Good question.

Wage data in Ireland is only available by sector, not by occupation or level of degree.

Here is US dataon earnings by degree. I would not expect Ireland to be identical, but the relativities would not be too difficult.

So, median earnings after 5-10 years for someone with the following bachelor's degree:

Maths $72k
Chemistry $62k
English $54k
French $55k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next