Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools

Post subject: Re: Property Bee looking for donations to keep the lights on
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Property Bee was very useful to me when searching for an apartment a couple of years ago, so I am happy to make a contribution.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
- Cicero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:30 pm 
First Time Buyer

Barney Gumble wrote:
Balanced1970 wrote:
I will be honest and say I wont donate. This site has passed its sell by date. Its an echo chamber for anti landlords and smug so and sos. I will probably be banned now anyway!

This is the Property Pin. The site that needs donations is the Property Bee. If you find the tone very 'anti-landlord', the obvious thing to do is make the pro-landlord case, not run off. I think there are plenty of lurkers and posters who appreciate the service provided by good landlords.

My apologies as to mix up of sites. Will look up Property bee and perhaps contribute. I have made the case for Landlords but trust me there are too many chips on their shoulders types here to wade through. I would estimate there are less than five landlord members on this site. Have a good evening.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 pm 
Single Home Owner

watch+wait wrote:
Peroni wrote:
watch+wait wrote:
Peroni wrote:
£100 a month? What kind of server do they need? Seriously.

So, while you still know everything, How do you propose that the service could be at a lower cost?

Well, all of these are cheapear: http://www.blacknightvps.com/vps-starter.html.

Clearly you have not used the toolbar, or have no idea of the scale of the project. The basic package won't cut it.
Property bee http://www.property-bee.com is a toolbar that runs on Firefox, this scrapes the current price data for a property, sends this to a server, the server responds with the history, the toolbar works with daft.ie and most uk property sites.
Without tools like this we are at the mercy of estate agents, as their knowledge of the marketplace is part of their power, as I plan to buy next year I am happy to contribute to the annual £580 server hosting costs.

I have used it, and I think it is fantastic. However, the hosting costs seem somewhat out of line with what I'd expect, while obviously knowing none of the figures behind the scenes. I would assume, first of all, that this is only used by geeks (I tried to get my sister to use it when she was buying a house in London and she couldn't), second of all that your local database is only synced up with the remote one irregularly, meaning it is only an extra few HTTP requests per day if you are making the same search each time you use it.

The cost seemed high enough to me to suggest that they were asking users to subsidise development, rather than pay for hosting. I would have no problem with either, it just seemed somewhat disingenuous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm 
Single Home Owner

Looks like the revamped daft.ie has killed off at least the latest version of property bee anyway (unless it's just my computer).

Edit: You have to click into the individual property to see the property bee stuff. You don't get the synopsis on the results page anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Just seen this thread...

Many thanks to to those the did donate, at least we known our hosting costs are covered for the next 9 months or so.

Peroni wrote:
watch+wait wrote:
Peroni wrote:
£100 a month? What kind of server do they need? Seriously.

So, while you still know everything, How do you propose that the service could be at a lower cost?

Well, all of these are cheapear: http://www.blacknightvps.com/vps-starter.html.

They maybe cheaper, but 15Gb HDD wouldn't even hold the live database, let alone the site/forum/dev database/backups before archiving.... even with the Enterprise version it would be a serious squeeze on HDD/RAM/grunt.

Some figures;
* live database is > 15GB
* nearly 50,000 registered users
* peak usage is > 26,000 hits/hour
* database is > 120 million rows
* since March 2009, 99.73% of requests have been processed < 1 second.

Seriously!

Oh and none of the donations go to development costs, in fact I've paid the shortfall on occasions from the little ad revenue the site generates.

In fact I worked out what I've earnt from ads on the site over 4 years.... works out about 25p for each hour worked XX

Board index » Linksville » Online Resources & Tracking tools