Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76
 Post subject: Re: BoI the one to monitor
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Eschatologist wrote:
Skippy 3 wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
Some know-nothing interviewed on Morning Ireland opined that McDonagh's unique contribution would be to bring a woman's perspective to a male-dominated culture.

FFFFFFFS.

Because you know for sure that there is zero sexism in the Irish banking industry, right?

There is sexism everywhere. It's human nature to respond differently to people based on how they look.

What I find unacceptable is the equal-and-opposite reaction argument that a woman has special skills particular to her gender.

The appropriate countermeasure to lazy generalisations is not more lazy generalisations, it's specificity. I can see that McDonagh is a woman. I don't care. If I wanted to know anything about her, it's what skills and experience she brings to the job. (I don't actually care about that either, because I don't work for BoI, but that's not the point)

Fair enough, I didn't hear the segment.

Almost all men will claim that they are not sexist. Most women will tell you that they have or will experience it at some point. So the truth is presumably in the middle.

I don't think anyone can realistically claim that they neither notice nor care about gender in the workplace. It's impossible to avoid. Everywhere I have ever worked has had lots of men at the top of the organisation and lots of women at the bottom.

Personally, I try to recall that a) I am a man; 2) sexism is something that women suffer at the hands of men. Maybe I am the first man without such tendencies, but probably not. So I very consciously watch how I act and behave around female colleagues.

But again, that's just me.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Personally, I try to recall that a) I am a man; 2) sexism is something that women suffer at the hands of men. Maybe I am the first man without such tendencies, but probably not. So I very consciously watch how I act and behave around female colleagues.

Delinquency and violent criminality is also the almost exclusive domain of men. Do you go around fretting that you might be a violent criminal, unbeknownst to yourself?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:54 pm 
Speculator

The academic field of gender studies that promotes the concept of male privilege does so in a highly questionable manner.
'The Conceptual Penis': Academic Hoax Exposes Absurdity Of Gender Studies

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:
Almost all men will claim that they are not sexist. Most women will tell you that they have or will experience it at some point. So the truth is presumably in the middle.

If a man treated a woman the same way he treats his other male friends, she could well perceive that as sexist.
But that's not to say the intention was sexist.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm 
Migrant

ixus wrote:
Oops on the voice recognition:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39965545

Great spot - let's see if the Irish media pick up on this. RTE had a detailed report on the launch last year, quoting her prominently.
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0 ... c-banking/

Could it really be so simple to hack this system and, if so, what tests did HSBC run before assuring their customers it was safer than PIN codes?

A happy coincidence, no doubt, for HSBC that the BBC report comes just a day after the news that she is leaving them for BoI.

I seriously doubt BoI will run Voice-ID after this, but they will make good use of her other major specialty - closing branches.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:57 pm 
Migrant

ixus wrote:
Oops on the voice recognition:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39965545

Great spot, IXUS.

Could it really be so simple to hack this system and, if so, what tests did HSBC run before assuring their customers it was safer than PIN codes?

Let's see if the Irish media pick up on this. RTE gave it a big push when it was launched, including quotes from herself.
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0 ... c-banking/

I doubt she'll be rolling out Voice-ID here - more like BoI hired her for really speciality: closing branches:
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0 ... in-the-uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76