Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retail Watch Thread / The Death of retail ....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Skippy 3 wrote:
Exactly. You need a physical presence to make sure the altered garment fits.

Unlike most other types of clothing, suits do not fold up well into boxes for home delivery.

@Col Max, in my experience even M&S suits differ slightly despite being labelled the same size.

Recently I had to buy a load of bark mulch. It has a very high volume to price ratio. No one is going to offer it for home delivery any time soon. So I had to trek to the garden centre and fill up the boot of my car.

There are many, many more examples of retail that is unlikely to ever move online.

If you want large quantities of shredded tree, I'll admit that either buying and collecting it in person from a garden centre, or paying somebody who has more than he needs very locally to deliver it as a waste product, to get it off his hands is likely to be the way to go for a while.

As for tailoring, I wonder if a hybrid model is going to work as well as any for upper mid-market sales. Does anybody remember those adverts for tailors in Hong Kong, Singapore and latterly, Mumbai who did world tours? They'd pitch up in a hotel conference room for half a week, take customers' measurements, have a rough draft of a suit knocked up overnight, adjust it, then fly on to the next appointment, while they faxed a detailed design back home, so the customer could have three or four suits made and posted out, with the measurements kept on file for repeat orders.

I suspect a refinement of this could work pretty well, particularly with advances in body scanning. You'd have your measurements taken locally by someone who'd been trained in taking measurements, but who didn't need to bear the cost of a workshop and was kept on a short leash as far as imagination went. You'd choose your style and fabric, maybe go for an interim fitting of a tacked suit made locally if you wanted to pay a premium and then wait for the delivery. Of course, if you were an average shape and wanted an averagely fitting suit, you'd go down to your local department store and hope for the best, while if you wanted genuine bespoke tailoring, you'd still think nothing of flying business class a couple of times to Saville Row.

If you wanted, you could even have your own articulated personal tailor's dummy printed from your scan. Cheap? Maybe not as such and as a one off, but at €5K per bespoke suit or even €500 for amid market one, the depreciated unit cost might not be too much and you could always be melted down and reused, with a modest premium charged for accommodating middle aged spread :lol:

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

Last edited by Madness of Crowds on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 pm 
Nationalised

Skippy 3 wrote:

Recently I had to buy a load of bark mulch. It has a very high volume to price ratio. No one is going to offer it for home delivery any time soon.

You cannot be serious.

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/bark-mulch/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

I did not know about this.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Irish Retail Enters Recession
Q1 2017 proved retail is continuing to contract which is in stark contrast to an improving economy and falling unemployment numbers.
Fifteen of twenty sectors recording decreases in sales revenue.

Is this not just people buying more from abroad and rampant consumerism fading?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
Is this not just people buying more from abroad

I'd have assumed so.

A friend of my brother works with Nightline, parcel motel is flat out supposedly

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

temene wrote:
Q1 2017 proved retail is continuing to contract which is in stark contrast to an improving economy and falling unemployment numbers.

I'd say a lot of it is stagnant wages coupled with rises in compulsory costs such as rent/insurance/govt. services etc. This leads to less money available for retail spending.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

greentree wrote:
temene wrote:

I'd say a lot of it is stagnant wages coupled with rises in compulsory costs such as rent/insurance/govt. services etc. This leads to less money available for retail spending.

Also perhaps a greater caution about debt. A lot of the very high retail spending of the previous bubble was fueled by consumer debt; this is less available than it used to be, and many people are more careful about it (and the regulation has improved; the credit card provider can't just raise your credit limit on its own anymore for instance).

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 am 
Too Big to Fail

There's a piece in today's Sindo: Soaring rents curb consumers
Rent now takes up to two-thirds of a worker’s pay — and it’s having a knock-on effect on retailers, says Dan White
The Central Bank estimated the value of online sales at €9bn in 2015. This compares to total retail sales of about €30bn.

Is that true, a third of Irish retail spending is now online? I'd have thought it would be above 50%

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:04 am 
Real Estate Developer

temene wrote:

Is that true, a third of Irish retail spending is now online? I'd have thought it would be above 50%

Probably would be if you excluded grocery spending. Not sure if cars are included in retail.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:11 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I would say that the rising cost of renting is having a bigger impact than online sales, people are now having to buy cheaper (lower quality and probably a false economy) white goods.

It's a good thing that products are being made cheaper now, it leaves more money to be extracted from consumers in the form of rent! /sarc

"To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated": Elon Musk

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Isn't this what happened in 2007-2008. Housing costs just so unaffordable, other consumer spend had to suffer. With incomes quite fixed something had to give.

Still if there is no supply prices must rise we are told now. We were told prices couldn't fall away in 07/08. There are always excuses along the line, until suddenly there just can't be. Until tipping point were average joe just can't absorb the costs anymore. Maybe we really are a couple of years from that. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeande ... 0fda254ec7

sobering.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

There have already been more US store closures (or announcements) in 2017, than all of 2016.

It's only a couple of years since the stock market was lambasting Bezos for reinvesting profits instead of paying a dividend. Now.......

Amazon is worth two Walmarts.

Quote:
It took Amazon 18 years as a public company to catch Walmart in market value. It took less than another two years for Amazon to be worth twice as much.

On the 20th anniversary of Amazon’s IPO, Amazon’s market cap stands at $459 billion before the market opens for trading. Walmart’s? $228 billion.

Walmart has well more than three times Amazon’s annual revenue, and five times its net income. But Jeff Bezos and Amazon have sold a vision of revenue growth over huge net income figures — and Wall Street has largely bought in.

With that freedom, Amazon has continued to consistently grow its revenue north of 20 percent, while pumping cash into big new business areas like AWS — which some have estimated is already worth $160 billion — and the Alexa voice computing platform.

And Buffett thinks Bezos is the bees knees....

Quote:
"I've never seen a guy succeed in two businesses almost simultaneously," the Berkshire Hathaway CEO says.
"I can't think of another example like it," Warren Buffett says.
Buffett calls Jeff Bezos ‘the most remarkable business person of our age’ Buffett calls Jeff Bezos ‘the most remarkable business person of our age’

Warren Buffett, the world's second richest man, told CNBC that Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, the world's third richest, is "the most remarkable business person of our age."

"I've never seen a guy succeed in two businesses almost simultaneously that are really quite divergent in terms of customers and all the operations," Buffett said, citing Amazon's success in cloud computing and its dominant position in online retailing.

"I can't think of another example like it," said the chairman and CEO Berkshire Hathaway, who is never shy about his praise of Bezos.

As of Friday morning, Buffett's net worth was $75.6 billion according to the billionaires list at Forbes. Bezos was less than $3 billion behind Buffett. (Microsoft's Bill Gates remained No. 1 on the Forbes list, with a net worth of $86 billion.)

Last week following a surge in Amazon's stock, the Bloomberg Billionaires Index showed Bezos within striking distance of Gates' net worth, which Bloomberg lists at $87 billion.

Buffett spoke to CNBC in an interview that aired Friday on "Squawk Box," a day before Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire holds its annual meeting, often referred to the Woodstock of Capitalism

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:51 pm 
Nationalised

Having just recently bought something as mundane as light bulbs online, being cheaper to buy in the UK and ship to Ireland than to go to the local DIY, I was interested to see DMcW's article in the IT:

Quote:
But the euro v sterling exchange rate is not determined by the events in Ireland. It is affected by world events. Therefore sterling won’t rise against the euro materially.

As a result there is a massive opportunity between the two zones of the all-island economy.

At these prices, it is an act of economic self-harm not to shop in the North. If you could do all your shopping in the North you could raise your disposable income by 30 per cent.

The benefits to the whole country of using the North as a “constitutional Lidl” – a bargain basement a few miles up the road – would be huge. Retailers in the Republic would almost certainly say that deserting the expensive South for the cheap North would destroy retail in the South. Granted, there would be some casualties, but more likely retail in the Republic would simply evolve.

Irish retail has never been destroyed by a 30 per cent increase in the disposable income of the Irish consumer.

More...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:00 am 
Back Home with Mammy

[quote="ps200306"]Having just recently bought something as mundane as light bulbs online, being cheaper to buy in the UK and ship to Ireland than to go to the local DIY, I was interested to see DMcW's article in the IT:

[quote]But the euro v sterling exchange rate is not determined by the events in Ireland. It is affected by world events. Therefore sterling won’t rise against the euro materially.

As a result there is a massive opportunity between the two zones of the all-island economy.

At these prices, it is an act of economic self-harm not to shop in the North. If you could do all your shopping in the North you could raise your disposable income by 30 per cent.

The benefits to the whole country of using the North as a “constitutional Lidl” – a bargain basement a few miles up the road – would be huge. Retailers in the Republic would almost certainly say that deserting the expensive South for the cheap North would destroy retail in the South. Granted, there would be some casualties, but more likely retail in the Republic would simply evolve.

Irish retail has never been destroyed by a 30 per cent increase in the disposable income of the Irish consumer.

[url=https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-what-the-pint-of-guinness-index-tells-us-1.3335423]More...[/url]
[/quote][/quote]

A typical sensational article from DMcW but badly researched as he ignores the different excise and vat rates between the two economies in his Guinness pint table.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank