Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: The David McWilliams thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:05 am 
Speculator

Andy wrote:
Zero chance of an ecb rate rise in 2016 unless something monumentally miraculous happens.

Yes given 2016 is upon us I think thats more than safe to say ...I'll have to edit my original post accordingly ..as currently I see no indication of rises over the next 12months...of course I'm open to different views on that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:58 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Andy wrote:
Zero chance of an ecb rate rise in 2016 unless something monumentally miraculous happens.

The ECB rate is at a local maximum until end 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:36 am 
Of Systemic Importance

Quote:
This is a valedictory moment for the US because it means that they have managed to drag their economy out of a liquidity trap without the government spending hugely.

The US has escaped the trap using monetary policy alone. Most economists said this couldn’t be done, but the US has done it.

WTFFF?

Quote:
So the central bank began buying financial assets and creating new money to pay for them.
In total, the Fed has added $3.7tn worth of assets to its holdings, about an eightfold increase.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29823798

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

"In the next few months, the courts will decide how many of Ireland’s small businesses will be handed over to these funds. This transfer of assets is taking place right under our nose. It is a disaster for the country, for the society and for the capital base of the economy, and yet it is legal."

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2016/03/1 ... nslaved-us

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:13 pm 
Nationalised

Scratcher wrote:
"In the next few months, the courts will decide how many of Ireland’s small businesses will be handed over to these funds. This transfer of assets is taking place right under our nose. It is a disaster for the country, for the society and for the capital base of the economy, and yet it is legal."

Or, "McWilliams is on holidays is Barbados and makes spurious 'slave' analogies with Ireland in order to call it research".

"Do, or do not; there is no try" -- Yoda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:17 pm 

Mantissa wrote:
Scratcher wrote:

Or, "McWilliams is on holidays is Barbados and makes spurious 'slave' analogies with Ireland in order to call it research".

Ha, yeah I always skip over the first few paragraphs of his articles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:33 pm 
IMF'd

Scratcher wrote:

With the new bankruptcy legislation, many of these businesses will just die and be reborn, no? While some property and assets will change hands, in the end, they'll have to be sold back for cheaper to the people who want to use them... essentially the same businesses.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:44 pm 

yoganmahew wrote:
Scratcher wrote:

With the new bankruptcy legislation, many of these businesses will just die and be reborn, no? While some property and assets will change hands, in the end, they'll have to be sold back for cheaper to the people who want to use them... essentially the same businesses.

Or Wall St just dumps the assets to the 'greatest' fools, the Irish!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:09 am 
Single Home Owner

McDreamy latest - 38m per year to build 50k houses in Dublin
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/colum ... 43903.html

there's a lot we could do for very little with the ridiculously low current cost of borrowing; if we're spending it on infrastructure would the EU really say no? They want to get money flowing into the economy...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:22 am 
Too Big to Fail

shweeney wrote:

there's a lot we could do for very little with the ridiculously low current cost of borrowing; if we're spending it on infrastructure would the EU really say no? They want to get money flowing into the economy...

But, employing builders would move money into the economy, or does increasing sales of breakfast rolls not count.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:27 am 
Single Home Owner

dolanbaker wrote:
shweeney wrote:

But, employing builders would move money into the economy, or does increasing sales of breakfast rolls not count.

I know, that's what I meant. Address infrastructural deficit, and pump money into the economy - win/win.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:32 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

That's the best idea I've heard from McWilliams in a long time.

The government surely have access to a NAMA site, they have access to cheap capital, we have a massive pool of labour that is desperate to work, the demand for property in the Dublin are is most certainly there and with prices still well below peak, the risk is low. In ordinary times, the private sector would step into this breach to meet supply. This has not happened so why can't the government step in to facilitate action? Given the inelastic supply situation with property development, a situation that's critical in there here and now will only get worse in the short-term, so it's time to act now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:50 pm 
Real Estate Developer

HouseBuyer wrote:

The government surely have access to a NAMA site, they have access to cheap capital, we have a massive pool of labour that is desperate to work, the demand for property in the Dublin are is most certainly there and with prices still well below peak, the risk is low. In ordinary times, the private sector would step into this breach to meet supply. This has not happened so why can't the government step in to facilitate action? Given the inelastic supply situation with property development, a situation that's critical in there here and now will only get worse in the short-term, so it's time to act now.

Well, it was time to act about 3 years ago, when the lack of a supply pipeline should have been obvious to anyone paying attention.

Still better to act 3 years late rather than 4, of course. Or 5, or 6, or never...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:
Our new government can borrow for 30 years today at 0.7pc per annum.

Sorry Dave, you've priced a ten year bond not a 30 year!
30 Year Irish debt is 1.84% --- still cheap but changes his numbers a lot.

(i.e. company profits are directly fed, in part, by government deficits)

BANKS DON'T LEND RESERVES
As confirmed by the Bank of England

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm 
Nationalised

HouseBuyer wrote:

I think he must have read an recent but old Coles2 post or maybe even early pin posts.

I do however have general show stopper problems with the opening logic, though the personal anecdote at the start is good.

Define your reality! 8)

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next