Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'Peak Oil' far, far away
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:30 am 
Nationalised

slasher wrote:
I was referring to Tesla's grid back up solution. [If this doesn't entice Tesla Fan Boy #1 back to the Pin nothing will!]

Anyway, I think anyone living in an apartment would question that.

It's become accepted wisdom that powerwall are the solution (Because transmission loss!) Bit it amounts to duplication of effort if everyone has them. Efficient generation (large scale wind) and shared storage make more sense for the masses who haven't the space, capital or interest in localised storage. Particularly in windy, cloudy Northern latitudes where PV performance is particularly poor

I think you're right. Li-ion is clunky for grid-level storage. Requires silly number of individual cells. The management and cooling becomes a big issue, not to mention fire safety. A flow battery stores the energy external to the cell. Power output is determined by the area of the membrane, but capacity is determined independently by the volume of the electrolyte tanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 pm 
Nationalised

Fresh from the court case over his last scam, Andrea Rossi is busy setting up the next one. Big announcement here about his next LENR demonstration. (When I say "big announcement", I mean paid advertisement with the Accesswire outfit, posing as news). This stuff reads marginally better than a Nigerian scam letter. I simply can't believe that people continually fall for it, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. After each failure he sticks two new letters on the end of the device name (now "eCat QX") and claims a different -- though still unexplained -- mode of operation. Meanwhile, he still runs the bogus Journal of Nuclear Physics, wherein the bogus articles are followed by Rossi chatting to his own sockpuppets in the comments.

Last edited by ps200306 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm 
Nationalised

Things looking decidedly ropy for PDVSA, the Venezuelan state oil company. They've been teetering on the brink of default for some time and this month actually missed some bond payments, although they were eventually paid late. So far they (and the country itself) have been declared to be in partial default. For another interesting twist, see the video in this piece from last month when PDVSA escaped by the skin of its teeth. As well as the bondholders, PDVSA has huge debts to Russia's Rosneft. A default could mean PDVSA losing its crown jewels, the American oil refining and gasoline retailer CITGO. Something tells me the Yanks would not stand for Rosneft taking control of oil refineries in Texas, Louisiana and Illinois (though it could make for some great leftist conspiracy theories about Trump :D ). See also the Venezuela thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm 
Nationalised

Quote:
IEA: Oil demand on a rising trajectory by 2040
HOUSTON, Nov. 16
11/16/2017
By OGJ editors

According to the International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2017, up until the mid-2020s, oil demand growth remains robust in the New Policies Scenario (NPS) but slows markedly thereafter as greater efficiency and fuel-switching bring down oil use for passenger vehicles. IEA’s NPS models current and announced energy policies, including those from the Paris Climate Agreement.

Powerful impetus from other sectors, however, is enough to keep oil demand on a rising trajectory to 105 million b/d by 2040. Oil used for petrochemical production is the largest source of growth, followed closely by rising consumption for trucks (fuel-efficiency policies cover 80% of global car sales today, but only 50% of global truck sales), for aviation, and for shipping.

“The world’s consumers are not yet ready to say goodbye to the era of oil,” IEA said.

IEA said once US tight oil plateaus in the late 2020s and non-OPEC production falls back, the market becomes increasingly reliant on the Middle East to balance the market. There is a continued large-scale need for investment to develop a total of 670 billion bbl of new resources to 2040, mostly to make up for declines at existing fields rather than to meet the increase in demand.

Meanwhile, with projected demand growth appearing robust—at least for the near term—a third straight year in 2017 of low investment in new conventional projects remains a worrying indicator for the future market balance, creating a substantial risk of a shortfall of new supply in the 2020s, IEA said.

Plus more on US shale, global gas, nukes etc. ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

ps200306 wrote:
Fresh from the court case over his last scam, Andrea Rossi is busy setting up the next one. <Removed link> (When I say "big announcement", I mean paid advertisement with the Accesswire outfit, posing as news). This stuff reads marginally better than a Nigerian scam letter. I simply can't believe that people continually fall for it, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. After each failure he sticks two new letters on the end of the device name (now "eCat QX") and claims a different -- though still unexplained -- mode of operation. Meanwhile, he still runs the bogus <removed link> Journal of Nuclear Physics, wherein the bogus articles are followed by Rossi chatting to his own sockpuppets in the comments.

Is that guy still at that nonsense?

[Editted 22/11/2017 based on Dolanbakers wise suggestion to not give this Shyster more google oxygen by including links to his articles]

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

Last edited by tulip on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 pm 
Too Big to Fail

tulip wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
Fresh from the court case over his last scam, A~~~a Ripoffi is busy setting up the next one. [url=482218/emoggieCom-Announces-Live-Video-Demonstration-of-the-emoggie-QX-November-24-2017-12-PM--EST----LIVE-VIDEO-PRESENTATION-----wwwemoggiecom]Big announcement here about his next omgR demonstration[/url]. (When I say "big announcement", I mean paid advertisement with the Accesswire outfit, posing as news). This stuff reads marginally better than a Nigerian scam letter. I simply can't believe that people continually fall for it, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. After each failure he sticks two new letters on the end of the device name (now "efatmoggie") and claims a different -- though still unexplained -- mode of operation. Meanwhile, he still runs the bogus mag ], wherein the bogus articles are followed by Ripoffi chatting to his own sockpuppets in the comments.

Is that guy still at that nonsense?

We really should not be wasting bandwidth repeating that crap over the internet, each and every post with his name or his "products" mentioned puts up the google score.
Edited to make no gain for the scammer in google.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Quote:
In the International Energy Outlook 2017 (IEO2017) Reference case, total world energy consumption rises from 575 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu) in 2015 to 736 quadrillion Btu in 2040, an increase of 28%. Most of the world’s energy growth will occur in countries outside of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) [1], where strong, long-term economic growth drives increasing demand for energy. Non-OECD Asia (including China and India) alone accounts for more than half of the world’s total increase in energy consumption over the 2015 to 2040 projection period. By 2040, energy use in non-OECD Asia exceeds that of the entire OECD by 41 quadrillion Btu in the IEO2017 Reference case (Figure 1).

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/ieo/exec_summ.php

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

ps200306 wrote:
Fresh from the court case over his last scam, Andrea Rossi is busy setting up the next one. Big announcement here about his next LENR demonstration. (When I say "big announcement", I mean paid advertisement with the Accesswire outfit, posing as news). This stuff reads marginally better than a Nigerian scam letter. I simply can't believe that people continually fall for it, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. After each failure he sticks two new letters on the end of the device name (now "eCat QX") and claims a different -- though still unexplained -- mode of operation. Meanwhile, he still runs the bogus Journal of Nuclear Physics, wherein the bogus articles are followed by Rossi chatting to his own sockpuppets in the comments.

I'll be watching. Best source for info on this is (he is organising the demo):
https://animpossibleinvention.com/blog/

Who knows? He apparently disavows that press release:
http://e-catworld.com/2017/11/18/rossi- ... s-release/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am 
Nationalised

Good news -- Maduro has brought in an army general with no experience in the energy sector to fix PDVSA's problems. XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:15 am 
Nationalised

OPEC and friends agreed to extend cuts through the end of next year at today's Vienna meeting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 pm 
Nationalised

Sounds like Baghdad and Ankara are colluding to cut the Kurds out of oil money.

Quote:
Iraq plans Kirkuk pipeline bypassing KRG

Iraq plans to build a crude oil export pipeline from Baiji to Fishkhabur on the Turkish border that will carry crude from Kirkuk field for export from the Turkish port of Ceyhan. Iraq’s Oil Ministry instructed interested companies and government agencies to prepare the papers required to participate in the project, which will be offered on a build-operate-transfer basis.

The pipeline will replace a line damaged by repeated sabotage and out of commission since 2014, bypassing a pipeline controlled by the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Iraqi forces last month reclaimed Kirkuk from the KRG. Turkey has threatened to close its portion of the pipeline if Kurdish independence proceeds.

About 580,000 b/d of oil produced in Iraqi Kurdistan, half from Kirkuk field, now flows through two spurs in Kurdish territory that link with the trans-Turkey pipeline at Fishkhabur, according to the International Energy Agency. (OGJ)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:31 pm 
Nationalised

Brent crude started the year at $55, hit a mid-year low of $45, and looks set to close the year at $65. WTI could see $60 at year end. Brent is up temporarily due to a crack discovered in the North Sea Forties pipeline, but there is also a general tightening of supply and the continuation of the OPEC cuts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 am 
Nationalised

ps200306 wrote:
Brent crude started the year at $55, hit a mid-year low of $45, and looks set to close the year at $65. WTI could see $60 at year end. Brent is up temporarily due to a crack discovered in the North Sea Forties pipeline, but there is also a general tightening of supply and the continuation of the OPEC cuts.

Hah. WTI hit $60 already in intraday trading today, on news of an explosion at a Libyan pipeline curtailing 90k bbl/d. Brent hit $67. That puts the two benchmarks at their highest since June and May 2015 respectively.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:04 am 
Too Big to Fail

€1.40 a litre for petrol at the pumps can't be too far away now. It will be interesting to see if US producers are able to ramp up production again to force the price down, or will they wait until the price rises enough to make it "worth it!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:54 pm 
Back Home with Mammy

Already 139.9 most places around.certainly on the motorways. No doubt the cso inflation stats will have some other wheeze to bury this price rise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196  Next