Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Kickbacks, waste and bogus orders costing CIE millions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:55 am 
Too Big to Fail

NegativeEquity wrote:
You didn't answer my first question - anything to declare?

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

This is isnt Boards.ie C&T forum

But since you ask I work in the private sector IT and not for any transport company - no interest apart from being an occasional public transport user . What on earth is wrong with being semi informed about public transport there are many more out there who have memorized every dublin bus stop and route , can tell the difference between an AX and an AV (I've no idea at all ) and can tell you why the bog rolls in Ringsend depot are scratchy on the bum this week

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
and can tell you why the bog rolls in Ringsend depot are scratchy on the bum this week

I always assumed they were scratchy there the whole time. I don't disagree with a lot of your points but as you just mentioned you are "an occasional public transport user". If you need to rely on it regularly to commute to and from work anywhere that relies ion more than 1 bus or train the crapness of the service reveals itself. I don't have a bee in my bonnet about it - I'm just stating my opinion which was formed by my own personal experiences of trying to get around Dublin using public transport.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:56 am 
Real Estate Developer

DM18 wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
Isn't it normal for public transport to be arranged in a hub-spoke topology?

I'd be interested to know of other cities of comparable size where it's easy to get from one outer suburb to another "round the clock" (geometrically) by public transport.

Singapore is pretty decent for connectivity using buses beyond the spoke/hub, but it is painfully slow.
Even at non rush hour, it takes about 40 minutes to go 10km. Bus stops are mostly 300m apart (some even closer) so 30+ stops in 10km. Cost is low (~ 50C for the shortest trips) and the heat / humidity is oppressive so people get on or off at almost every stop.
The smart card system links payment to the train rapid transit in an integrated payment system with the added journey economically added to your first connected trip.
Overall: a pretty good system but with limitations.

(Tokyo and big Japanese cities grow around the train stations: transport is so important that it drives commercial and accommodation development instead of the other way around.)

It's quite correct to state that most overground public transport systems are hub and spoke. In big cities these are usually complemented by underground systems that sometimes provide radial access.

Dublin will probably never have an underground system, and it may never be a dense enough city to justify one.

Many of the pieces that we have now are bringing us close to an integrated system - reliability and reliability of information have improved and we have some class of integrated ticketing so it is possible to move from one transport option (type or route) to another to complete a complicated journey. The issue is the integration of ticketing and the cost. In other cities in Europe you typically pay about 1.50 for your initial ticket and can change as many times as you like within a set time period - that means that most journeys can be completed for that 1.50 cost. That is quite definitely not the case in Dublin. The Leap card could make this feasible and I would like to hope that at some stage it will but it took so long to get Leap in the first case I kind of doubt it.

The problem with Dublin and public transport is density - we all want to live in 4 bed semi-d's with a garden near the city. Public transport can't work in that situation. We need to increase urban density and density along the transport spokes. If you want the suburban dream house then you are going to need to get in your car and drive. The sensible thing is park and ride - that exists but the parking is expensive and limited, the transport is expensive and you're in your car anyway, you've bought, taxed and insured it and petrol is getting cheaper by the day, you have a parking space in work so you just join the queue of traffic and listen to crap on the radio for an hour and give out about bus lanes instead of driving to the park and ride. Unfortunately I don't see this changing - we are a rural people run by a rural elite who have retained a rural mindset even when we aggregate in cities - the towbar used to be the symbol of that - now its the SUV.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:31 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
don't disagree with a lot of your points but as you just mentioned you are "an occasional public transport user"

I cycle mostly or get the bus ( this morning I got the bus ) . One time in 50 I will drive in but I hate driving as the other two ways are far easier.

If cycling or Public transport doesnt work for you .. ok ? I was arguing against people moaning about no investment when a short search would have proved the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:02 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Duisigh wrote:
Quote:
don't disagree with a lot of your points but as you just mentioned you are "an occasional public transport user"

I cycle mostly or get the bus ( this morning I got the bus ) . One time in 50 I will drive in but I hate driving as the other two ways are far easier.

If cycling or Public transport doesnt work for you .. ok ? I was arguing against people moaning about no investment when a short search would have proved the difference.

No bod's, wasn't giving out about investment, just relaying my own experience of using public transport. 8DD Season of goodwill to all pinsters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

The service has improved, the Real time information app is excellent it's saved me many a morning of standing in the rain for 15 minutes. The join up of the various transport routes is terrible in the city centre I'd say the extensive one way systems are responsible for this. Dub bikes and it's app are brilliant for linking up city centre stops that are 10-20 min walk from each other. The price is ridiculous on public transport especially when dub bikes is €20 for the year!

Would it not be possible to figure out how much it would cost to run dublin bus for a year and then tax each Dub a fraction of it and give them a leap card that allowed them free travel. If you'd already paid for it you'd use it like you do for the car.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
--Epictetus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm 
Too Big to Fail

More industrial action could follow train drivers’ vote to reject pay deal

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3351005

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16