Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kickbacks, waste and bogus orders costing CIE millions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

BoyRacer wrote:
Weary commuters face fresh ticket price hikes - -> http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.1979679

Quote:
But what is driving the increases? In recent years transport companies have been quick to point the finger at rising fuel prices, falling passenger numbers and cuts in State funding. On this occasion, none of those things apply.
Passenger numbers have increased in recent months - as the economy has recovered - while a litre of diesel is cheaper than it was this time last year. The subvention from the State has not been touched.
<snip>
The money to pay the higher wages will have to be found somewhere - with the easiest revenue source once again proving to be being the pockets of passengers.

source

So not only do you have to pay more, you're getting strikes into the bargain.

Surely they mean ticket prices to soar?

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:11 pm 
Speculator

Dubhgeannain wrote:
Surely they mean ticket prices to soar?

Feelgood factor back as commuter prices set to soar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Ticket prices are recovering

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm 
Nationalised

Saw this in the Business Post today

Irish Rail 'needs €100m a year to survive'

Quote:
David Franks said the company was "grossly underfunded". "If there is not enough subvention and we're not earning enough through the fare box to pay for the railway, maybe the size of the railway has to change." he warned.
Irish Rail has been hit by falling passenger numbers, rising competition, high fares and under-used services.

How about pulling the plug on the likes of semi-states such as Irish Rail and PTSB?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:04 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

BoyRacer wrote:
Saw this in the Business Post today

Irish Rail 'needs €100m a year to survive'

Quote:
David Franks said the company was "grossly underfunded". "If there is not enough subvention and we're not earning enough through the fare box to pay for the railway, maybe the size of the railway has to change." he warned.
Irish Rail has been hit by falling passenger numbers, rising competition, high fares and under-used services.

How about pulling the plug on the likes of semi-states such as Irish Rail and PTSB?

Heard recently about a municipal system in Austria, all based on a swipecard, the more public transport you use, the less you pay, a kind of loyalty card system.
Wonder how long before we have that here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 am 
Of Systemic Importance

SIPTU members to consider industrial action after bus talks break down

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0330/690876 ... reak-down/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

Irish Rail strike action being 'seriously considered' by unions

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0817/721769-irish-rail/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:31 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

TheJackal wrote:
Irish Rail strike action being 'seriously considered' by unions

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0817/721769-irish-rail/

How are all the travelling public who don't pay for their tickets(with free travel passes and without) going to get by?
One day they'll strike and when they come back from strike they'll discover nobody who pays will care.
Last time I was home. Single ticket on bus from Dublin to Athlone - 11 euro. Train from Athlone to Tullamore - €10.50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

dipole wrote:
Last time I was home. Single ticket on bus from Dublin to Athlone - 11 euro. Train from Athlone to Tullamore - €10.50

Bargain. I took a train from Dublin to Cork (€19.99) then bought a bus ticket to Skibbereen - €20.20!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 pm 
Nationalised

€7 million spent on buses to service Navan that don't fit on Navan streets - -> http://www.joe.ie/news/navan-gets-new-b ... ets/510968

Quote:
In a test run with the new buses, it was reported that the coaches were unable to manoeuvre the bends and corners as well as clipping kerbs, getting stuck and swinging across pavements.
The buses were bought as part of a €25 million investment funded by the National Transport Authority (NTA) in an attempt to boost the eastern services of Bus Eireann.

there is more

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:47 am 
Nationalised

Lots of moaning about housing rent increases, but fare increases from state owned enterprises and approved by quangos merit little comment? Even though prices have been increasing typically 10% per annum for the last number of years. How about landlords index linking their rent rises to the rising costs of state provided services?

Fares rise today on Luas, Dublin Bus and other services - -> http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fa ... 48426.html
01/12/2015

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:06 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

BoyRacer wrote:
Lots of moaning about housing rent increases, but fare increases from state owned enterprises and approved by quangos merit little comment? Even though prices have been increasing typically 10% per annum for the last number of years. How about landlords index linking their rent rises to the rising costs of state provided services?

Fares rise today on Luas, Dublin Bus and other services - -> http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fa ... 48426.html
01/12/2015

Its an effin joke! a few years back it was €2.65 single way fare for Dublin Bus to go yonder 13 stages, now its €3.30 (luckily I can buy the bus tickets through my employer and the cost is about €1 per journey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:57 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

It's hilarious

Traffic volumes in Dublin are at insane levels yet services are archaic, there's zero investment in Public Transport and fares are still being whacked up

Tbh it's like the Primetime thread - people are just so used to this nonsense they're no longer outraged

I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys. You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them - Bertie Ahern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Renting And Proud! wrote:
It's hilarious

Traffic volumes in Dublin are at insane levels yet services are archaic, there's zero investment in Public Transport and fares are still being whacked up

Tbh it's like the Primetime thread - people are just so used to this nonsense they're no longer outraged

To be fair, the real time info introduced a few years back has made a world of a difference to the experience of getting a bus. I shudder to think how many hours I spent sitting at a bus stop coming home from school, wondering if there'd be a bus in the next 45 minutes or if I'd be better off walking the 5+ miles home.

Agree on the other points though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:13 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:

wut ?

Luas to Cabra - BXD is being built RIGHT now.

Phoenix Park tunnel is being shored up RIGHT NOW for direct Kildare - Grand Canal Dock services to start soon , along with DASH2 resignalling

Dart services going to 10 min intervals , and extra commuter trains and so on.

that is off the top of my head on rail. Can we actually look at the facts before the bemoan or is that out of fashion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank