Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 234  Next
 Post subject: Re: Signs of the Depression
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm 
Too Big to Fail

tourist numbers down.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing29.html

so much for the lower VAT rate and the billion euro sunk in to Dublin airport.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

dipole wrote:
tourist numbers down.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing29.html

so much for the lower VAT rate and the billion euro sunk in to Dublin airport.

Have we any evidence that the lower VAT rate has been passed on to consumers, or is it just to boost the margins of businesses? See no evidence of it myself.

But I notice town seems fairly packed recently.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Was in a shop of someone I know on Monday at closing time just before flying out. closed off the till for the day -€31 for the day, i.e. 31 euro more was in the till in the morning than when closing that evening; that's how poor trade is down the country.
Plenty of window shoppers, few parting with cash as they don't have it to spend.
Don't look for the shoppers, look for the shopping bags.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Tolka wrote:
JohnnyTheFox wrote:

Ta muchly.

Saving money on hair removal ? or is it fashion to have a bushy look ?[/quote]

Saving money on tights. Short skirts require new or newish tights. Long skirts, you can get away with tights that are well part their best days. Particularly if worn with boots.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm 
Nationalised

dipole wrote:
Was in a shop of someone I know on Monday at closing time just before flying out. closed off the till for the day -€31 for the day, i.e. 31 euro more was in the till in the morning than when closing that evening; that's how poor trade is down the country.
Plenty of window shoppers, few parting with cash as they don't have it to spend.
Don't look for the shoppers, look for the shopping bags.
I've been doing a bit of research on setting up a 'youthclub' or activities for kids and in my reading I came across the Department of Health and Children publication on 'Teenspace - The National Policy for Recreation for Young People' (PDF). It's an interesting read, but one thing really jumped out at me.
Quote:
Shopping
Shopping is a popular recreational activity for many young people, especially girls. Girls strongly ‘peer orientate’ or form and maintain friendship groups or cliques on the basis of a shared appreciation of clothes, as well as music and personal qualities. This may be one factor explaining girls’ high frequency in this activity (Thurlow, 2002). Looking at shops was valued by young girls for a number of reasons, including ‘it’s great to see new clothes’, ‘we like thinking about how to spend money’, ‘it’s fun with your friends’ and ‘it’s in the city’.

See those shopping centres? They're actually 'recreational facilities'.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/norway ... 6-May2012/

Quote:
THE BODY that manages Norway’s sovereign wealth has sold its entire holding of Irish government bonds, as part of attempts to limit the country’s exposure to the crisis in the eurozone.
Norges Bank Investment Management sold off all its Irish bonds, as well as its Portuguese ones, apparently believing the two bonds were not ‘predictable’ enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:26 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

johnnyone234 wrote:
http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/norway-debt-crisis-bonds-ireland-portugal-default-439816-May2012/

Quote:
THE BODY that manages Norway’s sovereign wealth has sold its entire holding of Irish government bonds, as part of attempts to limit the country’s exposure to the crisis in the eurozone.
Norges Bank Investment Management sold off all its Irish bonds, as well as its Portuguese ones, apparently believing the two bonds were not ‘predictable’ enough.

Look on the bright side. If the bonds are unpredictable, at least it means they haven't decided meltdown is a complete certainty.

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:21 pm 
Nationalised

STAY ON TOPIC

Fed up! :evil:

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Open Window wrote:

Fed up! :evil:

A sure sign of depression OW. :-GC

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:53 am 
Too Big to Fail

I'm after hearing of 4 different suicides in the last month and a bit. And one suicide attempt.

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am 
Back Home with Mammy

Dubhgeannain wrote:
I'm after hearing of 4 different suicides in the last month and a bit. And one suicide attempt.

It's becoming a European problem
Quote:
http://www.policymic.com/articles/7263/greece-suicide-rate-on-the-rise-shows-austerity-s-toll

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9236231/Italian-businessman-becomes-countrys-25th-austerity-suicide-of-the-year.html

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:15 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Did I read somewhere that spring is the worst time for suicides? Something to do with some people suffering from depression expecting to be able to cheer up when better weather arives, but then becoming more depressed when they find their depression is not just something caused by seasonality? Of course, exacerbated this year, as the weather has not in fact improved.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

A lot of people here sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Suicide in my area started to become an expected occurrence before I left for Oz. It was getting to me, a lot of them men my age, mid thirties to mid forties.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme" Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm 
Real Estate Developer

the edge wrote:
Did I read somewhere that spring is the worst time for suicides? Something to do with some people suffering from depression expecting to be able to cheer up when better weather arives, but then becoming more depressed when they find their depression is not just something caused by seasonality? Of course, exacerbated this year, as the weather has not in fact improved.

The weather in this country and its effect on mental health is and always was understated.
It's a horrible horrible country at times weather wise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 234  Next