Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Unemployment rises to 14.9%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Shocking rise continues

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing23.html

Post subject: Re: Unemployment rises to 14.9%
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Too Big to Fail

I wonder what it would be without emigration.

The sole use of money is to circulate consumable goods. Adam Smith

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme" Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am 
Of Systemic Importance

what has been done that actually might have improved our unemployment rate?
I can`t really think of anything

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 am 
Too Big to Fail

Blindjustice BATONEFFECT wrote:
what has been done that actually might have improved our employment rate?

FYP

The real damage is done by those millions who want to 'get by'. The ordinary men who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe. Safe?! From what?
Sophie Scholl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am 
Real Estate Developer

I'm not sure there's anything we can do to create net new employment, to be honest.

If we end up with a balanced budget in 4 years, with unemployment still under 15%, then that's probably a result (assuming we can write off some debt, banking or otherwise, as part of the process).

We had building jobs, tax revenue and tertiary effects which were all bubble related. 15% unemployment is probably our fluff-free norm, and the best position we can hope to be in, 10 years from now, is to have steady unemployment of about 10%. Like other developed welfare states (with minimum wages etc), we simply will not be able to attract jobs for those that cannot or will not engage above a certain skill set.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 am 
Under CAB Investigation

unless we see construction increase (which accounts for a high proportion of unemployment figure) or growth of around 3% we will not see any substantial reduction in unemployment. So unemployment will remain high for a long long time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 am 
Speculator

It won't be a popular choice with certain sections of the media, academia and various quangos, but immigration from non-EU countries to fill up non-skilled positions needs to be cut massively.

http://www.emn.ie/index.jsp?p=128&n=138

There are tens of thousands of €350-€400 a week jobs being filled by Mauritians, Bangladeshis, Turks etc which has the double-whammy effect of both taking a job from a young or low-skilled Irish person and of seeing a good chunk of their wages being remitted overseas instead of spent here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am 
Too Big to Fail

Page 6 Persons under 25 years of age on the Live Register, 2010 to 2012

High Sep 2010 87,700

Current Jun 2012 74,700

Drop 14.8%

Good old emigration of our newly qualified third level students.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 am 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:

...or what it would have been without immigration.

Just as we export a lot of our unemployment, we also imported a fair bit of it too!

http://www.thejournal.ie/immigrants-bea ... 9-Jun2012/]

Total employment among immigrants has fallen by 40 per cent, against a figure of 10 per cent for Irish people, data in the report from the Integration Centre reveals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:21 am 
Of Systemic Importance

theschmuck wrote:
It won't be a popular choice with certain sections of the media, academia and various quangos, but immigration from non-EU countries to fill up non-skilled positions needs to be cut massively.

There are tens of thousands of €350-€400 a week jobs being filled by Mauritians, Bangladeshis, Turks etc which has the double-whammy effect of both taking a job from a young or low-skilled Irish person and of seeing a good chunk of their wages being remitted overseas instead of spent here.

but what irish person who can get welfare and all its benefits would take those jobs?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am 
Under CAB Investigation

If our most educated and skilled are heading for greener pastures it doesn't look good for our pensioners of the future. Hardship awaits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am 
Under CAB Investigation

theschmuck wrote:

but what irish person who can get welfare and all its benefits would take those jobs?

I posted in another thread recently commenting on the fact that my daughter who's a student got a summer job in a retail/wholesale place where she said most of the packing staff seemed to be asians. Meanhile, the estate she has to go through to get to work is full of late teen/early twenty-something track-suited wasters hanging around all day and night. Something very wrong about this - €400 a week is not bad money at all for someone with few skills) The generous Welfare State has to be tackled in a radical way - and soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 am 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

Is their any economy with unemployment >= 14% where property prices have risen on avg over 12 months..
Does property rise when the unemployment figure is in a downward trajectory i.e. -20% -> -16%

Anyone have any details?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 am 
Of Systemic Importance

HiFi wrote:
catbear wrote:

Just as we export a lot of our unemployment, we also imported a fair bit of it too!
Hold on a sec - a lot of these "imported unemployed" went to Ireland to fill jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am 
Under CAB Investigation

ex-Patrick wrote:
HiFi wrote:
catbear wrote:

Hold on a sec - a lot of these "imported unemployed" went to Ireland to fill jobs.

A lot of them came in to fill low-skilled jobs in the construction and service industries - many of these jobs were the first to go in the downturn. (An Irish unemployed plasterer who goes to Australia, keeps the Unemployment figures down but equally, a Latvian landscaper who is now unemployed and remains in Ireland, keeps those figures up.) Just saying that it's important to include immigration as well as emigration in the equation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next