Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitcoin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am 
Property Magnate

Bloomberg wrote:
Bitcoin Is Likely to Split Again in November, Say Major Players
Bitcoin is looking increasingly likely to splinter off again in November, creating a third version of the world’s largest cryptocurrency as miners and developers pursue separate visions to scale its rapidly growing marketplace.

Major industry players, including the bitcoin investor Roger Ver known as “Bitcoin Jesus” for proselytizing on behalf of the digital currency, say consensus between opposing camps looked increasingly unlikely. That opinion was echoed by some of the biggest mining pool operators and also programmers -- known as “Core” developers -- who were instrumental to developing the infrastructure of the original bitcoin network.
More...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 am 
Nationalised

johnp002 wrote:
Bloomberg wrote:
Bitcoin Is Likely to Split Again in November, Say Major Players
Bitcoin is looking increasingly likely to splinter off again in November, creating a third version of the world’s largest cryptocurrency as miners and developers pursue separate visions to scale its rapidly growing marketplace.

Major industry players, including the bitcoin investor Roger Ver known as “Bitcoin Jesus” for proselytizing on behalf of the digital currency, say consensus between opposing camps looked increasingly unlikely. That opinion was echoed by some of the biggest mining pool operators and also programmers -- known as “Core” developers -- who were instrumental to developing the infrastructure of the original bitcoin network.
More...

I'm surprised they didn't call the "Core", Apostales. :?

What will they call this second Bitcoin derivative and also is this a form of technical devaluation?

I'm thinking Roman coinage now... will this fork be a Sulla or a Caesar... when we get to the Pilate fork wake me up! :shock:

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:20 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

WellGoo wrote:
What profit can I get with bitcoins? I would like to hear good advice on how to do it. My mate advised me to read this article https://bitcoinbestbuy.com/. It is written very well and has a lot of details, so I learned a lot of new things, but I want to know the amount of money.

Your investment can go down as well as up. It's essentially a crap shoot. Don't invest money in stuff like this if you cannot afford to lose 100% of it in a worse case scenario/don't dream of buying options in something like this. By the way when your "mates" start to advise investment in something its usually the time to be getting out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:00 pm 
Real Estate Developer

Bought a small amount of Bitcoin 3 years ago. Considering the current price I decided to sell them. Logged into localBitcoins where they've been stored and they're gone... someone hacked the account last month.
I notice they've upped their security since the last time I visited.

Easy come easy go

Milton Friedman best moments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:31 pm 
Nationalised

conork wrote:
Bought a small amount of Bitcoin 3 years ago. Considering the current price I decided to sell them. Logged into localBitcoins where they've been stored and they're gone... someone hacked the account last month.

Easy come easy go
And that's the problem right there. Sorry that it happened to you all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:41 pm 
Old Time Landlord

Coles2 wrote:
conork wrote:

Easy come easy go
And that's the problem right there. .

"And that's the problem right there"

Coles, can you explain what you mean by this? Storing your Bitcoin private keys on Local Bitcoins would be equivalent to hiding some of your savings under a rock at the end of your street and expecting it to be still there a few years later....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:08 am 
Nationalised

el diablo wrote:
Coles2 wrote:
conork wrote:

Easy come easy go
And that's the problem right there. .

"And that's the problem right there"

Coles, can you explain what you mean by this? Storing your Bitcoin private keys on Local Bitcoins would be equivalent to hiding some of your savings under a rock at the end of your street and expecting it to be still there a few years later....
Is stealing Bitcoins even a crime?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 am 
Holiday Home Owner

Aren't the origins of Bitcoin still shrouded in mystery?

If a person was prone to conspiracy theories a person might start to think that perhaps Bitcoin is a very clever long term plan of a country like Russia to debstabilise the banking systems of the West... chaos creates opportunity etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:46 am 
Property Magnate

onioneater wrote:

If a person was prone to conspiracy theories a person might start to think that perhaps Bitcoin is a very clever long term plan of a country like Russia to debstabilise the banking systems of the West... chaos creates opportunity etc.

It is definitely mysterious where it came from but I think its adoption is an effect rather than a cause of the lack of stability in the world's financial and banking systems. If people trusted the banking system then bitcoin wouldn't be nearly as desirable. In a world where capital controls (Greece), deposit haircuts (Cyprus) and hyperinflation (Venezuela) are a fact of life then some mechanism to mitigate the risks of state regulated banking with fiat currency was bound to emerge sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 pm 
Holiday Home Owner

johnp002 wrote:
onioneater wrote:

It is definitely mysterious where it came from but I think its adoption is an effect rather than a cause of the lack of stability in the world's financial and banking systems. If people trusted the banking system then bitcoin wouldn't be nearly as desirable. In a world where capital controls (Greece), deposit haircuts (Cyprus) and hyperinflation (Venezuela) are a fact of life then some mechanism to mitigate the risks of state regulated banking with fiat currency was bound to emerge sooner or later.

Crikey, I can't believe many people would trust Bitcoin more than the established western banking system (I wouldn't include Venezuela in that). To many people it would appear that the Bitcoin user base look to be be mainly people with something to hide, speculators and others treating it as a novelty but not for serious use. And behind it all its secret origins... perhaps one day we will find out if the power behind was Putin or some other mastermind trying to undermine the West. Blockchain technology itself may have other more long-term usefulness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 pm 
First Time Buyer

I note there are now property related ICOs punting blockchain based solutions to real estate issues.
EG
REXMLS :
https://blog.rexmls.com/breaking-down-r ... aa6afd6c70
Propy:
https://www.forbesmiddleeast.com/en/sil ... ddle-east/

Lots of buzz and spin as always.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 am 
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Equifax Hackers Demand Ransom in Bitcoin

But note that the hackers did not demand dollars. They did not demand euros. They did not demand gold, silver, or diamonds. They demanded a digital currency that didn’t even exist 10 years ago. They demanded what is now correctly described as the most valuable currency in the world.

https://fee.org/articles/equifax-hacker ... n-bitcoin/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:21 am 
Nationalised

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
Quote:
Equifax Hackers Demand Ransom in Bitcoin

But note that the hackers did not demand dollars. They did not demand euros. They did not demand gold, silver, or diamonds. They demanded a digital currency that didn’t even exist 10 years ago. They demanded what is now correctly described as the most valuable currency in the world.

https://fee.org/articles/equifax-hacker ... n-bitcoin/
When the writer describes a currency as "the most valuable in the world" it suggests that he doesn't understand what a currency is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The future or super duper optimistic?

Quote:

What Are All These Blockchains And Crypto Assets Building?

The original blockchain application, cryptocurrency (such as Bitcoin), remains the most exciting and consequential. Cryptocurrencies will outcompete and displace government currencies. Centrally planned national monies will fade away, perhaps slowly like castles or all at once like slavery.

Cryptocurrency moves anywhere, instantly, at near-zero cost, and natively digital money will become fundamental to a digital, borderless internet-based society.

Governments will lose the ability to conjure money out of thin air. Budgets will derive purely from taxation and borrowing. Inflation will disappear. Prices will no longer rise each year. Bread will be no more expensive to a son than a father. Humans will again build upon an honest, market-based financial system, having escaped fiat currency debasement, the most egregious financial scam of all time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashin/ ... fc1c951a02

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:19 pm 
Speculator

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:

If those people genuinely believe the words they've written they are mentally ill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next