Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Prudent Preparations for Euro Break Up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15 pm 
Property Magnate

johnnyone234 wrote:
jesus, hardcore survivalists on z hedge
a bit too ott on the knives and guns

The Poor Man’s Guide To Survival Gear

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-pos ... vival-gear

Quote:
If you have enough land to keep them, a half dozen chickens, a half dozen breeding rabbits, and a goat, will produce milk, meat, and eggs daily, providing valuable sustenance, reducing the amount of stored foods you need to use in a day, and reducing the amount of time you have to spend hunting for food in a dangerous collapse environment. Chickens and goats practically feed themselves with whatever is available on your land. Rabbit feed is easy to store, and can also be made at home. These animals are indeed worth their weight in gold.

Seeds are, of course, a currency in and of themselves. Non-GMO seed and strong gardening knowledge will save you and your family. Gardening is not as easy as it seems, however. Extensive practice, trial and error, and an understanding of regional climates will improve your crop yields dramatically.

If you are looking to survive on the cheap and avoid paying thousands of dollars for years worth of freeze dried goods, sustainable food production is the only way to go. Foraging and scavenging is NOT a reliable alternative.

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm 
Single Home Owner

reading that reminds me of McCormacks The Road. which i found compelling and harrowing in equal measure. You really have to ask, certainly I did, whether such a life is worth living... I enjoy the cut and thrust of modern life too much to go back to a medieval (or worse) world. where cut and thrust means something entirely different.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm 
Nationalised

fixie wrote:
reading that reminds me of McCormacks The Road. which i found compelling and harrowing in equal measure. You really have to ask, certainly I did, whether such a life is worth living... I enjoy the cut and thrust of modern life too much to go back to a medieval (or worse) world. where cut and thrust means something entirely different.

You're not the guy who rang up Joe Duffy about a week ago and said...

Fixie talks to Joe... wrote:
JOE, JOE, can I cum in dare, Joe? I saw a woman walkin in the woods, Joe, and you know wha' Joe? She was collectin' stixks Joe?! I cudn't believe it, Joe. So I went over to her, Joe and I says to her 'What do you think your doin' collectin sticks, luv?' and she says to me, 'I'm collecting wood for my fire', and I says 'BLEEDIN JAYsus!', JOE! What kind of wuirld are we livin in JOE?? Pretty soon peeeple wil be growin veggietables, JOE, and eatin them, JOE, just like we eat BigMacs , Joe!? WHat's de wuirld cumin to, JOE???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm 
Single Home Owner

ha. I didnt hear the original. will have to fish out..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:12 pm 
Property Magnate

z hedge guest wrote:
[Rabbits] are indeed worth their weight in gold.

Anyone else see a rabbit bubble forming? Pound for pound, as valuable as gold, it says here, and self-perpetuating as well. Buy your breeding pair now and produce 800 offspring the first year! Grow your profit by 40,000% in the first year alone, and then watch as your investment goes exponential, baby.

What could go possibly wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:22 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

you have to be careful not to have a diet of only rabbits though or they will have their revenge

Death by rabbits or rabbit starvation syndrome

Quote:
In the introduction to Alden Todd's book Abandoned: the story of the Greely Arctic Expedition 1881–1884, which recounts the harrowing experiences of the 25 expedition members, of whom 19 died, Stefansson refers to "'rabbit starvation' which is now to me the key to the Greely problem," which was why "only six came back." He concludes that one of the reasons for the many deaths was cannibalism of the lean flesh of members who had already died. Stefansson likens this to rabbit starvation, which he explains somewhat as in the above quoted observation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Quote:
Dangers of excessive protein, defined as when protein constitutes > 35% of total energy intake, include hyperaminoacidemia, hyperammonemia, hyperinsulinemia nausea, diarrhea, and even death (the "rabbit starvation syndrome").
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:44 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

irishaberdeen wrote:
johnnyone234 wrote:

Quote:
If you have enough land to keep them, a half dozen chickens, a half dozen breeding rabbits, and a goat, will produce milk, meat, and eggs daily, providing valuable sustenance, reducing the amount of stored foods you need to use in a day, and reducing the amount of time you have to spend hunting for food in a dangerous collapse environment. Chickens and goats practically feed themselves with whatever is available on your land. Rabbit feed is easy to store, and can also be made at home. These animals are indeed worth their weight in gold.

Seeds are, of course, a currency in and of themselves. Non-GMO seed and strong gardening knowledge will save you and your family. Gardening is not as easy as it seems, however. Extensive practice, trial and error, and an understanding of regional climates will improve your crop yields dramatically.

If you are looking to survive on the cheap and avoid paying thousands of dollars for years worth of freeze dried goods, sustainable food production is the only way to go. Foraging and scavenging is NOT a reliable alternative.

I take it you have not been stockpiling, growing and canning?

Access to accurate information means very little in the face of strong convictions; that's one of the massive challenges we face in trying to warn the world that the future of endless technological progress they think they've been promised isn't going to happen: no matter how strong the evidence may be, belief in what amounts to a secular religion of progress trumps it.

John Michael Greer 2012

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

boomshackala wrote:
irishaberdeen wrote:
johnnyone234 wrote:

Quote:

I take it you have not been stockpiling, growing and canning?

stockpiling guns, no

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:45 pm 
Nationalised

We only need to look to Cuba to know what to do.

"Politicians are always realistically maneuvering for the next election. They are obsolete as fundamental problem-solvers." - Buckminster Fuller

"I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks." - Catbear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
We only need to look to Cuba to know what to do.

The grimmest thing apparently about living in Cuba is long cycles to work. People don't seem to like that at all.

Access to accurate information means very little in the face of strong convictions; that's one of the massive challenges we face in trying to warn the world that the future of endless technological progress they think they've been promised isn't going to happen: no matter how strong the evidence may be, belief in what amounts to a secular religion of progress trumps it.

John Michael Greer 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12