Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230  Next
 Post subject: Re: Britain leaving the European Union.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 am 
Too Big to Fail

This is, astonishingly, not satire.

'Dad's Army' volunteers to help Border Force patrol Britain's coastline against people smugglers and crime gangs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... coastline/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am 
Too Big to Fail

Eschatologist wrote:
This is, astonishingly, not satire.

'Dad's Army' volunteers to help Border Force patrol Britain's coastline against people smugglers and crime gangs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... coastline/

Someone is clearly taking the piss, Even the Torygraph isn't taking it seriously.
But there has always been a culture of encouraging citizens to inform the authorities of any wrongdoing in the UK, but to set up a special group for border watching is simply daft. The average resident in those coastal areas would very quickly call the police if they saw anything "odd" going on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Mossy_Heneberry wrote:
When the trade talks begin, how on earth are we going to maintain unity among the 27 states and their respective competing national interests?

Could we end up with a dog eat dog scenario as member countries will do anything to protect their trade policies?

So as I suspected, Brexit will be a dog's dinner all round?
Image Image

:-GC

Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Book I, Chapter X, Part II,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Quote:
A close reading of David Davis’ delusional Telegraph piece on Brexit

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/m ... ece-brexit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm 
Nationalised

I thought it was very interesting that the UVF letter to Haughey was released under the 30-year rule when the Brexit negotiations are ongoing. Apart from spelling out the collusion between Loyalists and the British security forces and the plot to assassinate Charles Haughey, it also spells out the type of actions that they were plotting in order to undermine the Irish economy, particularly the agriculture base.

I presume it was released (and not 'mislaid'/shredded) for the simple reason that the Irish Government are well aware of the threat the country faces as Britain goes down the Brexit road. It would solve a lot of problems for the British if Ireland also exited the EU.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm 
Too Big to Fail

It would also solve a lot of problems for the EU if Ireland left as well, especially when you consider the huge volume of IE-UK trade, relive to IE-EU trade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

dolanbaker wrote:
It would also solve a lot of problems for the EU if Ireland left as well, especially when you consider the huge volume of IE-UK trade, relive to IE-EU trade.

I dont think members leaving "helps" the EU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Brexiteers are a dying breed according to this BBC video,
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics- ... -dying-out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 pm 
Too Big to Fail

werpen wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

It does when you consider that a lot of Irish thinking is closer to Boston than Berlin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am 
Single Home Owner

dolanbaker wrote:
werpen wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

It does when you consider that a lot of Irish thinking is closer to Boston than Berlin.

We joined the EU/EEC to stop being so interdependent on Britain, why on earth would we follow them out of one of the biggest trade areas in the world?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 am 
Too Big to Fail

Anco_reeves wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
werpen wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

We joined the EU/EEC to stop being so interdependent on Britain, why on earth would we follow them out of one of the biggest trade areas in the world?

But we joined at the same time to avoid losing the links we have with the UK.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:28 am 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
Anco_reeves wrote:

But we joined at the same time to avoid losing the links we have with the UK.

Back when Britain was over 80% of our export market, hovering around 12% now and likely to decline to single digits as their currency weakens.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 am 
Nationalised

https://www.ft.com/content/1bd3b34a-f39 ... 65a6ce1a00 via @financialtimes

Quote:
UK in push to remain part of EU medicines agency

Britain is pushing to remain under EU regulation for medicines after Brexit, the latest sign ministers want to stay close to Europe in some sectors despite the bloc warning the UK cannot “cherry-pick” parts of the single market.

The move follows calls for the UK’s chemicals and aviation industries to continue to be regulated by EU agencies, keeping them within Europe’s standards and safety regime and under the auspices of the European Court of Justice.

Three senior government figures have told the Financial Times that the UK hopes to be regulated by the European Medicines Agency, even as the body moves from London’s Canary Wharf to a new post-Brexit home in Amsterdam.

Greg Clark, business secretary, is also backing demands from Britain’s chemicals sector to stay within the EU’s Chemicals Agency, while Chris Grayling, transport secretary, last month told the aviation industry Britain would continue to be regulated by the EU after Brexit.

The proposals would put parts of the British economy under the indirect jurisdiction of the ECJ, threatening to breach “red lines” set out by Theresa May in her October 2016 Tory conference speech.

But one government official said the ECJ “red line” had been blurred since the departure of Nick Timothy, Mrs May’s pro-Brexit former co-chief of staff, from Downing Street last June. “It’s not quite so rigid now,” the official said.

Pharma industry leaders have warned of the consequences for patients in both the UK and Europe if some form of regulatory harmonisation cannot be achieved. Around 45m packs of medicines are supplied from the UK to other European countries each month, while more than 37m packs come from Europe to the UK.

idiots.

All the propaganda about EU red tape is really biting them in the *ss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:19 pm 
Single Home Owner

It may be interesting to keep a running list of parts of the EU that the UK want to be part of.

I believe I've seen statements that the UK ministers want to stay in the following at the absolute minimum.

European aviation and safety agency;
    Eurocontrol;
    European medical agency;
    Euro Chemical Agency;
    Interpol;
    Euratom;
    Erasmus

And the list is starting to grow rapidly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm 
Too Big to Fail

The Curious One wrote:
It may be interesting to keep a running list of parts of the EU that the UK want to be part of.

I believe I've seen statements that the UK ministers want to stay in the following at the absolute minimum.

European aviation and safety agency;
    Eurocontrol;
    European medical agency;
    Euro Chemical Agency;
    Interpol;
    Euratom;
    Erasmus

And the list is starting to grow rapidly.

So the UKs relationship with the EU goes from one of opt-outs when in to one of opt-ins when out!
:roll:

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230  Next