Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: 'UK wellbeing rises after Brexit vote'
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

dolanbaker wrote:
Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41893598
In the year after the UK narrowly voted to exit the European Union, there was a small but significant increase in the population's feeling of wellbeing, official statistics show.

The improvements in areas such as life satisfaction and happiness were seen only in England, however. Elsewhere, the rates flatlined.

People in Northern Ireland continued to report the highest levels of wellbeing.

Rates of anxiety increased slightly, but not significantly.

Strange to make this connection, when you consider the fact that the country has only recently recovered from the worst recession in living memory.

As I said on the original Brexit thread. The end result will be the UK 5% poorer and 10% happier. A feeling of lack of control is one of the predictors of depression. Being able to control migration etc will lead to slight increase in satisfaction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 pm 
Too Big to Fail

GameBlame wrote:

As I said on the original Brexit thread. The end result will be the UK 5% poorer and 10% happier. A feeling of lack of control is one of the predictors of depression. Being able to control migration etc will lead to slight increase in satisfaction

And yet it's the non-EU emigration that's got people freaked out around where I am in the UK and Brexit isn't changing that.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 am 
Under CAB Investigation

catbear wrote:
GameBlame wrote:

And yet it's the non-EU emigration that's got people freaked out around where I am in the UK and Brexit isn't changing that.

Yes and No. There must be a growing relief about no longer being subject to the consequences of Merkel's whims. And then her subsequent redistribution of migrants.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 am 
IMF'd

GameBlame wrote:
catbear wrote:
GameBlame wrote:

Yes and No. There must be a growing relief about no longer being subject to the consequences of Merkel's whims. And then her subsequent redistribution of migrants.

It's nonsense, though. Once again the British public operating in a fact-free zone:
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statis ... ntry-birth

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:29 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

More shame for Tories

Hard working Brits need not apply > London ex council houses being flogged off to overseas super rich

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/blackwall-reach-development-hundreds-of-london-flats-being-built-on-former-council-estate-marketed-a3687936.html

Post subject: Re: Britain leaving the European Union.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:00 am 
Too Big to Fail

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... ad-brexit/

Very interesting stuff from Tony Connolly.

I actually think we might be lucky that the North's institutions are not up and running. And also that we're so far away from the marching season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:30 pm 
Property Magnate

Very intetesting to follow this development.
There are two scenarios that present themselves to me.

1. The Hong kong solution. Two jurisdictions in the UK. NI keeps euro regulations and becomes a sort of bridge to europe from uk.
Border down the irish sea.favoured by the republic.

2. A hard border in ireland. A natural result of uk stance of pulling out of customs union.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 pm 
Too Big to Fail

Hypothetical question.

If there is a "Hard brexit" with no agreements in place.

Who would impose the "hard border" and why?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:57 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
Hypothetical question.

In a hard brexit situation we won't know who the UK let's in, the CTA is not a binding agreement with any governing accountable framework. The UK could up non-EU migration to cover essential gaps in food production and healthcare. I think I read that nearly all the vets monitoring the meat and dairy industry are EU immigrants for instance; UK vets preferring the fluffy and horsy end of the business. We'll need to guard our agri exports against standards being dropped in the UK and northern Ireland.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch everyone else repeating it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 pm 
Too Big to Fail

catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
Hypothetical question.

In a hard brexit situation we won't know who the UK let's in, the CTA is not a binding agreement with any governing accountable framework. The UK could up non-EU migration to cover essential gaps in food production and healthcare. I think I read that nearly all the vets monitoring the meat and dairy industry are EU immigrants for instance; UK vets preferring the fluffy and horsy end of the business. We'll need to guard our agri exports against standards being dropped in the UK and northern Ireland.

That doesn't really answer the question as to who will impose the border and why, I don't see the UK dropping standards in the agri industry as they will still want to maintain their export markets.

Everyone talks about the fact that we must avoid a situation where a hard border is required, but no one is talking about who will impose it or why!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:53 pm 
Homeless

The British are probably figuring they will trundle along now towards a Norway/Sweden type border.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

I thought it was implicit in my reply that we'd need to control our border against substandard produce and an undefined immigration regime from a renegade regulations busting UK.

Until the UK actually rule something in they are essentially heading towards the same relationship with us as Mauritania which relies entirely on WTO rules.

All the warnings have been stated since before the vote but now halfway between the vote and march 29 2019 no one knows or dares define the parameters of what brexit means.

It is not hyperbole to say that the UK is out of control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 pm 
Too Big to Fail

catbear wrote:
I thought it was implicit in my reply that we'd need to control our border against substandard produce and an undefined immigration regime from a renegade regulations busting UK.

Until the UK actually rule something in they are essentially heading towards the same relationship with us as Mauritania which relies entirely on WTO rules.

All the warnings have been stated since before the vote but now halfway between the vote and march 29 2019 no one knows or dares define the parameters of what brexit means.

It is not hyperbole to say that the UK is out of control.

So, it would be the EU (republic of Ireland) that will be imposing the hard border, I can see that going down well with many in the border regions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:29 pm 
Too Big to Fail

dolanbaker wrote:
catbear wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:
Hypothetical question.

That doesn't really answer the question as to who will impose the border and why, I don't see the UK dropping standards in the agri industry as they will still want to maintain their export markets.

Everyone talks about the fact that we must avoid a situation where a hard border is required, but no one is talking about who will impose it or why!

AFAIK, the UK are quite happy to leave the border the way it is. I think it's the EU that want to impose a hard one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183  Next