Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boom times (2016 Special Edition)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 pm 
Of Systemic Importance

The Yanks etc have mostly gone so Paddy is back and going full throttle

Cairn Homes to buy RTÉ land at Donnybrook for €107.5m
Irish listed property group significantly outbid rivals for prime site in Dublin 4
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/comm ... -1.3118057
Quote:
Cairn Homes has agreed to buy the 8.64 acres of lands being sold by RTÉ at Donnybrook in Dublin for €107.5 million.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the company said it plans to seek permission to build 500 apartments and nine houses on what it described as a “prime site in a unique location”...
...The price offered by Cairn was also substantially more than the €75 million guided by Savills, the agent that brought the site to market for the State broadcaster....
...Under planning legislation, 10 per cent of the scheme will also have to be made available to the local authority for social and affordable housing.

What stage of the cycle are we at now?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

FreeFallin wrote:

Irish listed property group significantly outbid rivals for prime site in Dublin 4
Quote:
Cairn Homes has agreed to buy the 8.64 acres of lands being sold by RTÉ at Donnybrook in Dublin for €107.5 million.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the company said it plans to seek permission to build 500 apartments and nine houses on what it described as a “prime site in a unique location”...
...The price offered by Cairn was also substantially more than the €75 million guided by Savills, the agent that brought the site to market for the State broadcaster....
...Under planning legislation, 10 per cent of the scheme will also have to be made available to the local authority for social and affordable housing.

Forgive me, but is that over 200k per unit for the site alone? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 pm 
Property Magnate

FreeFallin wrote:

Quote:

i wonder what they will do with the site , and surely they will find a way to get out of the social housing aspect

cant imagine a high density development there

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:17 pm 
Planning Tribunal Attendee

cyrusir wrote:
i wonder what they will do with the site , and surely they will find a way to get out of the social housing aspect

In the article it says 9 houses, 500 apartments.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:26 pm 
Property Magnate

Worstpigeon wrote:
cyrusir wrote:

In the article it says 9 houses, 500 apartments.

eugh

more apartments on the n11 do we really need a load of apartments in the suburbs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:31 pm 
Property Magnate

Quote:
Dublin City Councillor Chris Andrews has said he is very disappointed.
“I have been a long term advocate of Social and Affordable units on this piece of land at RTE. I am bitterly disappointed that the Government has decided to let it slip through their fingers.

is chris andrews high??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am 
Under CAB Investigation

cyrusir wrote:
eugh

more apartments on the n11 do we really need a load of apartments in the suburbs

It's a great location for apartments - it'd be a complete waste to build houses on it (not to mention completely unfeasible financially given the price they've paid).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:02 am 
Property Magnate

SoCoDu wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
eugh

It's a great location for apartments - it'd be a complete waste to build houses on it (not to mention completely unfeasible financially given the price they've paid).

i get that, its all that you can do really. im not sure more apartments is whats required there however.

its not a location that would do it for me personally, not walking distance to town, ballsbridge is 20min on foot so you only really have donnybrook which is a thoroughfare. Landsdowne place for example would appeal a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 am 
Back Home with Mammy

cyrusir wrote:
SoCoDu wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
eugh

i get that, its all that you can do really. im not sure more apartments is whats required there however.

its not a location that would do it for me personally, not walking distance to town, ballsbridge is 20min on foot so you only really have donnybrook which is a thoroughfare. Landsdowne place for example would appeal a lot more.

Lansdowne place is obviously lovely but we do not need more luxury apartments. We need affordable housing for first time buyers so this development sounds ideal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am 
Of Systemic Importance

cyrusir wrote:
Quote:
“I have been a long term advocate of Social and Affordable units on this piece of land at RTE. I am bitterly disappointed that the Government has decided to let it slip through their fingers.

is chris andrews high??

Nope, he's just very stupid. Even by Irish politician standards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 am 
Property Magnate

purple24 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
SoCoDu wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
eugh

Lansdowne place is obviously lovely but we do not need more luxury apartments. We need affordable housing for first time buyers so this development sounds ideal

where does it say that this is going to be affordable housing for first time buyers?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am 
Property Magnate

FreeFallin wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Quote:

is chris andrews high??

i was thinking about it after, its the usual sinn fein trick of shouting nonsense from the sidelines, its not something thats in the realms of possibility but it sounds good for his supporters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 am 
Of Systemic Importance

cyrusir wrote:
FreeFallin wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
Quote:

is chris andrews high??

i was thinking about it after, its the usual sinn fein trick of shouting nonsense from the sidelines, its not something thats in the realms of possibility but it sounds good for his supporters

Nope, I stand by my stupid comment from earlier!
Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hu ... 87866.html
Quote:
FORMER Fianna Fail TD Chris Andrews was unmasked as a phantom tweeter in a sophisticated sting by the husband of a businesswoman he criticised.
Mr Andrews quit the party this week after being unmasked as the dissenting Twitter user @brianformerff -- and fresh details have emerged of how he was identified.
Using the Twitter account, Mr Andrews posted more than 300 tweets, many criticising Micheal Martin and other senior Fianna Fail figures.

But his identity was uncovered not because he criticised party policy or leadership, but because he "questioned the professional integrity" of a Dublin businesswoman.
Her husband, in turn, moved to identify the source of the tweets and tracked Mr Andrews to a south Dublin internet cafe.

Kathryn Byrne, a self-employed businesswoman who runs a PR firm in south Dublin, last night confirmed to the Irish Independent how the sting was pulled off.
Ms Byrne, who is also a member of the Fianna Fail national executive, said Mr Andrews had used the Twitter account @brianformerff to question her personal and professional integrity.

She said the "online vendetta" spurred her husband Eddy Carroll, a director and chief technical officer of tech company Amulet Devices, into action....
...The sting operation involved Mr Carroll setting up another Twitter account called @john_cant_type and interacting with Mr Andrews's fake account.

Mr Carroll then posted a link to an article which was picked up by Mr Andrews, which enabled Mr Carroll to identify the unique IP address of the computer Mr Andrews was using. This was tracked down to a computer in the Amazon internet cafe in Rathmines.
Mr Carroll then waited on tweets from @brianformerff and went to the cafe to catch Mr Andrews in action, using photo and video surveillance.

Mr Carroll compiled a 35-page dossier on his sting -- which some in FF thought was excessive in itself -- and submitted it to party bosses....
....Mr Andrews did not respond to requests for comment last night, but in a weekend interview he said he quit Fianna Fail because of disenchantment with leader Micheal Martin, and frustration over the direction of the party.

His resignation from the party only came to light at the same time as the Twitter incident.
Mr Andrews also insisted his resignation was not linked to the Twitter fiasco.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am 
Under CAB Investigation

cyrusir wrote:
SoCoDu wrote:
cyrusir wrote:
eugh

My Fitbit tells me there circa 1200 steps between Donnybrook Church and the Embassy Grill - a distance I can cover in about 8 minutes when I am hungary :) I can also walk into Grafton Street in about 25 mins.

As regards shopping, I find Donnybrook to be far superior to Ballsbridge which has a very limited range of shops.

IMO it is a great site for a high density development.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

cyrusir wrote:
purple24 wrote:
cyrusir wrote:

where does it say that this is going to be affordable housing for first time buyers?

By virtue of location, these apartments won't be remotely 'affordable' - they might be similar to Marianella, in terms of being in an expensive location but not aimed at the absolute high-end like Lansdowne Place, i.e. none of the ultra-high end finishes and common areas.

I think Montrose is in a great location. I've lived in multiple homes on adjacent roads and I would choose to live there over Ballsbridge village as the place is just dominated by offices and takeaways - Montrose as a location is far more residential but still in close proximity to Donnybrook village, which is nicer than Ballsbridge IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  [Go to page]   Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » The IRISH PROPERTY BUBBLE » The Central Bank