Post subject: Re: SPEED CAMERA VANS - Police State
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 pm 
Nationalised

wii4miinow wrote:
Oh just a couple of other things Coles2.

1. I checked the rules of the road and I could not find a prohibition on flashing of the headlights within it (at least within the october 2006 edition that I've got acces to). If you have a reference to illegality of the flashing of the headlights then I do appreciate if you let us know about that.

Anecdotal cases of people who were fined for warning oncoming traffic of speed traps. I'll check the traffic acts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:58 pm 
Real Estate Developer

If you want to reduce the risk:
Go here:
http://www.gps-data-team.com/gps-poi.php
Select Ireland, Road Safety & Speed camera's,
Get the right file for your satnav,
I have a Garmin & Garmin upload worked for me.
This is a Custom POI, fiddle with POI settings to suit.
I did it last week, But as I usually only travel on motorways I have not passed one of these mobile zones yet. so I am unsure how effective it is.
This POI is free of charge, other companies charge €27 or €29 for a similar POI list.
One of my Garmin satnav's also displays the current speed limit, and my current speed, a very handy feature.
I have a GPS tracker in my car so I always have a log of what speed I was doing in an area If I wanted to dispute anything. Some satnavs will keep a log too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:45 am 
Under CAB Investigation

Larry wrote:
My understanding is the vans are paid by the hour, not by the number of drivers they catch.

The real story here is this: Irish people are fucking terrible, dangerous, inconsiderate drivers who slaughter one another and others at obscene levels every year. It is a national shame (yeah, another one). Slow the fuck down and learn to drive properly you stupid bastards.

/rant/. :twisted:

+1

Here in the UK areas where mobile cameras operate are signed.
In one particular area near us, the sign is there but I've only seen the camera twice in 5 years.

In addition all static cameras must have a sign within one or two kilometers and they cannot put up a sign where there is no camera.
The cameras themselves are painted yellow.

The average speed cameras are a killer.
They had them for about 50 miles on the M6 last year and everyone was crawling along at 40mph.
Thing is though, the traffic kept moving all the way. Six of one....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:19 pm 
Under CAB Investigation

Open Window wrote:
You are joking, tell me you are... if you lose in court you get more points for a non traffic related non offense.

Logically you have no free right to justice. That can not be constitutional in any shape or form.

My understanding of the law is as follows:

If you are are detected at a speed in excess of the speed limit you recieve 4 penalty points and a fine.

If you do not contest the charge in court and pay up within x days, the penalty is reduced to 2 points.

If you insist on contesting the penalty in court and loose you get the full 4 points.

You don't get an "extra" 2 points for insisting on your day in court. You get a 2 piont "discount" for taking your medicine like a good boy. Same goes for most penalty point offences.

"By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.- John Maynard Keynes, Economic Consequences of Peace

Last edited by Puck may be Famous on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 pm 
Nationalised

Thanks for that clarification.

https://twitter.com/nomoneyupfront
Open Window designs concept house for a pin user w/small footprint - > see sketches & pictures here <
Catbear - "I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks.""The wRight Poster"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:04 pm 
Nationalised

NOT Police state, the old system was.

Some lazy bollix of a guard went revenue raising where there were no accidents but where someone could safely do 40 in a stupid 30 zone, these guys go where the computer says the accidents are only.

Lazy bollix cop used to have a quota or de super gave him a bollicking, he had to go out and catch someone. These guys are paid for sitting in a van for nn hours a day in accident locations shown on a map. No bounties are paid and as long as they do the hours in the zones....and whether they catch anyone or not, the contract is fulfilled.

Police state measures, non.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 pm 
Nationalised

Revenue is raised via fines so this "we only pay by the hour" as a rebuttal I do not accept.

https://twitter.com/nomoneyupfront
Open Window designs concept house for a pin user w/small footprint - > see sketches & pictures here <
Catbear - "I was comfortable with a couple of banks being married today, instead i wake up and find I'm married to the banks.""The wRight Poster"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 am 
Single Home Owner

Quote:
DONEGAL WILL have the highest number of speed camera locations under the plan unveiled by An Garda Síochána and the Road Safety Authority yesterday.

Quote:
Donegal will have 63 camera sites in 52 designated zones; Cork will have 62 camera sites in 48 zones; Meath will have 52 sites in 30 zones and Dublin will have 19 sites in 37 zones. In total, there are 750 safety camera sites and 518 zones. The speed cameras will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Garda said analysis was “ongoing” and that these locations may change “over time”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1116/1224283411771.html

Who really thinks that Donegal will have a proportionally larger number of speed vans than Dublin. If so, the Guards can give a monthly breakdown per zone of the number of stationed hours and the number of fines sent out. This will give drivers the incentive to drive safely

EDIT: Tug left his sarcasm monitor at home this morning

Last edited by piece of the pie on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 am 
Nationalised

Location: Over Macho Grande? I don't think I'll ever be over Macho Grande...
Sweet jaysus...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:32 am 
Single Home Owner

2Pack wrote:
NOT Police state, the old system was.

Some lazy bollix of a guard went revenue raising where there were no accidents but where someone could safely do 40 in a stupid 30 zone, these guys go where the computer says the accidents are only.

Lazy bollix cop used to have a quota or de super gave him a bollicking, he had to go out and catch someone. These guys are paid for sitting in a van for nn hours a day in accident locations shown on a map. No bounties are paid and as long as they do the hours in the zones....and whether they catch anyone or not, the contract is fulfilled.

Police state measures, non.

Unfortunately the 'lazy bollix cop' will still be out shooting fish in a barrel. The Gardai have kept most of the 'plum' locations for themselves....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am 
Too Big to Fail

Puck may be Famous wrote:
Open Window wrote:
You are joking, tell me you are... if you lose in court you get more points for a non traffic related non offense.

Logically you have no free right to justice. That can not be constitutional in any shape or form.

My understanding of the law is as follows:

If you are are detected at a speed in excess of the speed limit you recieve 4 penalty points and a fine.

If you do not contest the charge in court and pay up within x days, the penalty is reduced to 2 points.

If you insist on contesting the penalty in court and loose you get the full 4 points.

You don't get an "extra" 2 points for insisting on your day in court. You get a 2 piont "discount" for taking your medicine like a good boy. Same goes for most penalty point offences.

That's not how I understand it...

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:43 am 
Nationalised

Eh, that's exactly how it is described in that rsa document onestep...

Under the constitution, no body in the country can institute fines or penalties other than the courts, therefore you can only accept the points on a no contest basis, hence the 2 point solution. For the actual imposition of the fine and the points they need the courts and the judge's ruling.

Every piece of legislation, sanction and fine is run through the courts... EPA, whatever...

Actually the most powerful groups in the country are probably the HSA and the Customs lads as they can enter a site without a warrant and confiscate (well the Customs lads can), the HSA can just shut you down (but they still need the wig to sign off on the prohibition notice).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am 
Too Big to Fail

The Unwelcome Guest wrote:
Eh, that's exactly how it is described in that rsa document onestep...

Under the constitution, no body in the country can institute fines or penalties other than the courts, therefore you can only accept the points on a no contest basis, hence the 2 point solution. For the actual imposition of the fine and the points they need the courts and the judge's ruling.

Every piece of legislation, sanction and fine is run through the courts... EPA, whatever...

Actually the most powerful groups in the country are probably the HSA and the Customs lads as they can enter a site without a warrant and confiscate (well the Customs lads can), the HSA can just shut you down (but they still need the wig to sign off on the prohibition notice).

Quote:
If you are are detected at a speed in excess of the speed limit you recieve 4 penalty points and a fine

Sorry tug, I was questioning this above - my understanding is that if you are caught speeding and do not contest it you get 2 points, if you contest and lose you get 4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:57 am 
Nationalised

Yes, you are liable for 4 points unless you cop the plea... But then again, you might win and end up with zero...

Like I said, either you admit guilt and get 2 or have your day in court and zero or four...

It's the traditional double or quits method.. :P