Follow, retweet @dailypinster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Bin Charge Waiver System abolished end June
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm 
Neo Landlord

Biodegradable often does not mean compostable ( it may simply mean that the bag will turn into plastic confetti.) Check with your bin company website. Tesco do sell compostable caddy liners in packs of 30 or 25, can't remember which. Pricey though. Aldi also sell such liners.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 am 
Too Big to Fail

Decision over €160m Cork incinerator deferred for fifth time

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/08 ... ator-cork/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 am 
Nationalised

Eschatologist wrote:
I came late to the discovery of a small unlined kitchen countertop caddy that gets emptied daily and washed up after the dishes. The food isn't in it long enough to rot.

This turned out to be excellent advice. Kitchen waste gets put out more often and overall the brown bin has actually made waste management indoors altogether more pleasant. The same cannot be said for the outdoor brown bin itself which, after a month of experience with it, is as fly-ridden as I expected. Only fruit flies though; it manages to exclude the nastier critters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
The same cannot be said for the outdoor brown bin itself which, after a month of experience with it, is as fly-ridden as I expected. Only fruit flies though; it manages to exclude the nastier critters.

Mine is worst around the rim. The problem isn't the food going in, it's how it's emptied on the way out.

I think you can buy wheelie bin liners but haven't tried them yet. Presumably would close them before putting them out for collection, then the unbroken sac would exit the bin cleanly like an egg from a hen's cloaca.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:53 pm 
IMF'd

Eschatologist wrote:
ps200306 wrote:
The same cannot be said for the outdoor brown bin itself which, after a month of experience with it, is as fly-ridden as I expected. Only fruit flies though; it manages to exclude the nastier critters.

Mine is worst around the rim. The problem isn't the food going in, it's how it's emptied on the way out.

I have to take pills for that :cry:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
Too Big to Fail

yoganmahew wrote:

I'd never really thought of the brown bin as a part of a multi-stage digestive system, but now it seems so obvious!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 am 
Nationalised

yoganmahew wrote:
Eschatologist wrote:
ps200306 wrote:

STOP THAT! I'm trying to stop puking and laughing at the same time. :sick: :lol: :sick: :lol:

P.S. I thought I'd gotten used to the hi-techification of mundane items, such as how a razor is now a "shaving system". But while searching for wheelie bin liners I was intrigued by these "Anti Bacterial High Definition Sacks". Struggling to even guess what it means ... can you make microscope slides with them so you can watch the microbes die?

EDIT: It just dawned on me ... someone in Tesco (or some computer) misinterpreted the abbreviation HD for heavy duty as high definition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 am 
IMF'd

ps200306 wrote:
P.S. I thought I'd gotten used to the hi-techification of mundane items, such as how a razor is now a "shaving system". But while searching for wheelie bin liners I was intrigued by these "Anti Bacterial High Definition Sacks". Struggling to even guess what it means ... can you make microscope slides with them so you can watch the microbes die?

EDIT: It just dawned on me ... someone in Tesco (or some computer) misinterpreted the abbreviation HD for heavy duty as high definition.

:lol:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am 
Nationalised

Sounds like China has had enough of our dumped nappies and other waste contamination:

IT wrote:
China has confirmed it is to stop taking many types of recycling material by the end of the year, posing a major difficulty for Ireland and other EU countries.

The Chinese government recently notified the World Trade Organisation it intends to ban the import of “all scrap plastics and unsorted paper” by the end of the year. It is a response to the scale of recyclable waste that is often dirty, poorly sorted or contaminated.

Earlier this year Irish containers of paper enroute to China were intercepted in the Netherlands and found to be contaminated. The entire shipment was returned to Ireland, with estimated costs in terms of shipping, lost revenue, landfill charges and taxes in excess of €1 million.

The latest move will hit Europe’s recycling industry very hard – 87 per cent of its plastic waste ends up in China.

More...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 am 
Too Big to Fail

ps200306 wrote:
Sounds like China has had enough of our dumped nappies and other waste contamination:

IT wrote:
China has confirmed it is to stop taking many types of recycling material by the end of the year, posing a major difficulty for Ireland and other EU countries.

The Chinese government recently notified the World Trade Organisation it intends to ban the import of “all scrap plastics and unsorted paper” by the end of the year. It is a response to the scale of recyclable waste that is often dirty, poorly sorted or contaminated.

Earlier this year Irish containers of paper enroute to China were intercepted in the Netherlands and found to be contaminated. The entire shipment was returned to Ireland, with estimated costs in terms of shipping, lost revenue, landfill charges and taxes in excess of €1 million.

The latest move will hit Europe’s recycling industry very hard – 87 per cent of its plastic waste ends up in China.

More...

Another excuse for the operators to jack up charges again no doubt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11